Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton deducted 10 points

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Thought it was WAY too late in the season for clubs to be docked points.

If this is the case, then surely Stockport could be deducted points if the same happens to them?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Is that this season hon, or the next (in Div 1)? What a friggin' shambles they've become.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I thought if a club were in relegation trouble the penalty is postponed until the next season (otherwise they would go down regardless - not much of a penalty). Or d the FA make up the rules as they go along?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Is that this season hon, or the next (in Div 1)? What a friggin' shambles they've become.

Reading the BBC website, it's this season...

"Southampton will be relegated from the Championship after being docked 10 points by the Football League."

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
I thought if a club were in relegation trouble the penalty is postponed until the next season (otherwise they would go down regardless - not much of a penalty). Or d the FA make up the rules as they go along?

If Southampton do enough to "stay up" then they will get the 10 points deducted this season and get relegated anyway.

If they would have got relegated without the punishment then the 10 points will be deducted next season.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
From BBC

Southampton will be relegated from the Championship after being docked 10 points by the Football League.

The penalty comes after the club's parent company went into administration in recent weeks.

Southampton are currently four points off safety with two games to go and will be deducted 10 points if they beat the drop.

If they do not avoid finishing in the bottom three then the points penalty will take effect next season.

More to follow.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
From BBC

Southampton will be relegated from the Championship after being docked 10 points by the Football League.

The penalty comes after the club's parent company went into administration in recent weeks.

Southampton are currently four points off safety with two games to go and will be deducted 10 points if they beat the drop.

If they do not avoid finishing in the bottom three then the points penalty will take effect next season.

More to follow.

Brilliant news for us if we stay up. Harsh on Southampton but it's one less club to worry about. Stockport, Southampton... Could even be more

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I think they only do that when team's try and cheat and avoid the points deduction

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Did they appeal against the original 10-point deduction, or against the subsequent 15-pointer - or both?

I think they were already going down before the 10 pt deduction anyway, so there was no value in appealing that one.

Socky

Sockmonster
Jun 24, 2008
Brighton
Could Stockport be deducted 10 points this season as well? Thought They had a hearing coming up before the end of the season? Anyone know?

This seems to be to be a pretty bizarre set of rules, holding off the punishment until they know where they will finish. I understand that they want to stop clubs doing what Leeds did and taking the points when the club is all-but-down, but in my mind they need to make a clear decision NOW on whether or not the points deficit is applied. At the point at which the punishment is declared, the FA should either take the 10 points off or, if the club look like being relegated anyway, should hold off and say that they will definitely take effect next year, no matter what league the club is in. None of this to-ing and fro-ing.

Albion Rob

Ha, brilliant. So they need the players to win the last two games so that the deduction takes effect this season.

Odd to think that even though they're down (and probably would have been without the deduction) they've still got a lot to play for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here