Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton are in BIG trouble.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am staggered at the shoulder shrugging attitude of some on here of the possibility of Saints folding, because they brought it on themselves. My only concern is for the fans as I remember how close we came to going and it was a f***ing shit feeling, maybe some of those who don't seem too concerned weren't around then. I cannot imagine not being gutted for the fans of any league club that goes bust, yeah even Leeds if it had happened.
I don't think anyone wants them to fold, it's just that most of us don't think they will. So much posturing goes on in these circumstances.

They might lose a few more points, they might even get relegated (which would be HILARIO), but they'll be back in their rightful place soon enough. i.e. the Championship.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think anyone wants them to fold, it's just that most of us don't think they will. So much posturing goes on in these circumstances.

They might lose a few more points, they might even get relegated (which would be HILARIO), but they'll be back in their rightful place soon enough. i.e. the Championship.

I agree, I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance of it happening but I'm not comfortable with making light of the fact they might :shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am staggered at the shoulder shrugging attitude of some on here of the possibility of Saints folding, because they brought it on themselves. My only concern is for the fans as I remember how close we came to going and it was a f***ing shit feeling, maybe some of those who don't seem too concerned weren't around then. I cannot imagine not being gutted for the fans of any league club that goes bust, yeah even Leeds if it had happened.

Isn't there an argument that the fans have sat by and let this happen? When the goldstone was sold the albion fans stepped up to the pate. We forced change in the boardroom?

I'm not saying it's their fault or they deserve it, just putting the argument out there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Isn't there an argument that the fans have sat by and let this happen? When the goldstone was sold the albion fans stepped up to the pate. We forced change in the boardroom?

I'm not saying it's their fault or they deserve it, just putting the argument out there.

Ours was a more gradual decline and we were being asset stripped by Archer, the ground sold from under us and sent to play elsewhere so it was very apparent that we needed to force a change. I say "we" loosely as I was not instrumental in the actions that saved the club, apart from being there and demonstrating. Southampton have fallen apart since just before the season ended and I imagine their fans did not see quite how bad the situation was, and were they actually being f***ed over like we were? I, personally, don't see it as a similar situation although the end result looks the same for them as it did for us at one stage.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ours was a more gradual decline and we were being asset stripped by Archer, the ground sold from under us and sent to play elsewhere so it was very apparent that we needed to force a change. I say "we" loosely as I was not instrumental in the actions that saved the club, apart from being there and demonstrating. Southampton have fallen apart since just before the season ended and I imagine their fans did not see quite how bad the situation was, and were they actually being f***ed over like we were? I, personally, don't see it as a similar situation although the end result looks the same for them as it did for us at one stage.

Also remember that one of the main things that set alarm bells ringing was a certain hero accountant spotting a small change. If this wasn't spotted then we may well have had a different result !

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
To be honest if Woolworths can go from the High street, i don't see why a medium sized club like Southampton can't fold. I hope help is forthcoming but it certainly is not guaranteed and the longer this goes on the deeper the damage will be to the club. Southampton could br the next Aldershot

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I don't remember any pate. Plenty of toasts when Archer and Bellotti left but no pate!

typo , it should be plate. :lol: We're Albion fans , used to burgers not pate de foie gras :cool:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
To be honest if Woolworths can go from the High street, i don't see why a medium sized club like Southampton can't fold. I hope help is forthcoming but it certainly is not guaranteed and the longer this goes on the deeper the damage will be to the club. Southampton could br the next Aldershot

Difficult to compare to a high street shop. No-one in their right mind would want to be lumbered with a shop losing money hand over fist, but football is a different kettle of fish and heart generally seems to overule head. I am convinced they will find a buyer and the buyer will be getting a discount due to all this heel dragging.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
A year ago I would have agreed whole heartedly but with the current climate 'heart' is not enough - cold hard money is needed and it seems to be in short supply. As I said I hope they pull through but I think all ex premiership clubs from now on are in real danger unless they make an immediate return

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
There's a big difference and a big similarity between what happned to us and what's happening down the road.

The difference is that when those two c**ts tried to rape us there was nothing good about the club. We hadn't spent money on players and we didn't have a new ground so I was easier to go into battle made and save the club. With Southampton all looked rosy until a few months ago (might be longer to saints fans) and by then they were too late, it is almost as if they've f***ed the club but kept it under the radar because of the ground.

The similarity is that it wasn't the fans fault their club was run into the ground by imbaciles, it never is.

I hope they manage to stay afloat, but a shit team for the next few years is the natural order of things, just while they get their house in order.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
A Southampton fan who is a very good friend of mine used to love winding me up about the fact we have no ground of our own when we went to uni together. Even when I told them of the whole sordid story, still the 'banter' carried on. So for that reason I'm quite enjoying the boot being on the other foot, especially as Saints were one of the clubs who broke away to form the Premiership and rape the other 70 (as I think it was then?) clubs in the country.

However, this is all mainly because I don't think they'll fold. I would be gutted for her and all Saints fans if they did actually go bust.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Who gives a f*** about them ? Some of us don't forget what they did to us in 1978

I still vividly remember the pictures on telly that night of Lawrie McMenemy and Keith Burkenshaw walking across the pitch hand in hand, waving to the crowd and this was BEFORE kick off. I thought you absolute **** McMenemy!

Also a year later the Argus ran a supplement after we got promoted and McMenemy more or less said that he had done us a favour because we werent ready for division 1 and would have come straight back down :tosser:
Who the f*** made him god.

So if Saints go bust, i will be only too happy to see that twat in tears, but will be absolutely gutted for their fans who like all fans dont deserve it!

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Who was in the north stand that day - I think we were playing Blackpool - and we heard that they had scored against Spurs, only to find out it was bollocks?

I was in the West Stand that day. It was a very strange day. I knew how Algeria felt when Germany & Austria did their "after you, Claus" routine in 1982.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was in the West Stand that day. It was a very strange day. I knew how Algeria felt when Germany & Austria did their "after you, Claus" routine in 1982.
To be fair, I think that game was far far worse. If you start a game knowing that a draw will do for both sides, you have to say a 0-0 draw is always on the cards.

On the other hand, in the WC game, a 1-0 Austria win was required for them both to go through. i.e. Austria needed to win, Germany could afford to lose by no more than one goal.

The Austrians scored 8 minutes in, and the Germans didn't bother trying for an equaliser.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
... and they'll be relegated a lot lower than what I assume he thinks is the Blue Square Premier.

I have a recollection from when Crawley were on the verge, that a re-formed club can join the pyramid a minimum of 2 levels below where the original one had been, so BSP is a definite possibility if the unthinkable happens.

I'm sure it'll rumble on beyond tomorrow and they will start the season, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here