Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Africa v England, 3rd Test, Cape Town

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Almost certainly. Bell will undoubtably give it all away, and the rest will fall like the preverbial house of cards...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
22 overs to go

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Human nature dictates that at least one of these two will ease off shortly, maybe it will be reaching the point of less than 20 overs to go, maybe the thought of a cheeky century. I'm half-expecting a wicket in the next 3 or 4 overs.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bell 58 from 148 balls
Colly 34 from 164 balls

Is there a better anchor dropper in world cricket than Paul Collingwood? I can only think of Jacques Kallis as a rival really. The two England batsmen have really played to their strengths. Many times they have has scampered three from Bell's shots, when two would have been normal - presumably with the idea that Collingwood has such powers of concentration that he can block more effectively than Bell.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The body language of the Saffa's is looking good from an England perspective. Reckon they've all but given up.

Edit - Ha Ha, just as I post that the commentary team say the same thing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Just going back to earlier discussion re Pietersen, I think declaring against England must be pretty tricky because if you set the target too high you use up too much time piling on unnecessary runs, but if you set it too low Pietersen can win it for England.

Take Pietersen out of our side and I dare say Smith would have been tempted to declare with a lead of 400 and have an extra hour or so at our batsmen.

There's no one in our side who could mastermind mastermind knocking off, say, 400 rather than the massive 465 here. A reason for keeping Pietersen in the line-up, perhaps?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Bell 58 from 148 balls
Colly 34 from 164 balls

Is there a better anchor dropper in world cricket than Paul Collingwood? I can only think of Jacques Kallis as a rival really. The two England batsmen have really played to their strengths. Many times they have has scampered three from Bell's shots, when two would have been normal - presumably with the idea that Collingwood has such powers of concentration that he can block more effectively than Bell.

There's 2 in the comm box, hussain has 2 of the top 10 slowest 50s for england, and athers stone walled many a day in the past...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Colly's in a different league to Bell, although the king was Chris Tavare.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I think bell at 3 and wright at 6 for the last test, drop KP. Need an extra bowler cos the pitch will be a seamer's paradise.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There's 2 in the comm box, hussain has 2 of the top 10 slowest 50s for england, and athers stone walled many a day in the past...

Colly's in a different league to Bell, although the king was Chris Tavare.
Atherton's effort in 1998 was legendary but can you honestly say you'd rather have anyone else other than Collingwood in this situation? Collingwood has literally saved a draw for England TWICE in a year, and now he could well do it again. That is consistency.

And Tavere was just tedious to watch. He stayed at the crease a good few times but was nowhere near one of our best opening batsmen IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here