Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Soul Music

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The Large One said:
Controversial.

Probably if there's any live footage, I suspect I might go along with you, but on vinyl - sorry, Otis gets the nod.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one then TLO.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'll tell you what this thread has done though.

I might well dust off the decks, the headphones and the vinyl and re-start soul DJing somewhere in town. I haven't done any for about eight years, and I quite fancy doing it again now.

:)

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The Large One said:

I might well dust off the decks, the headphones and the vinyl and re-start soul DJing somewhere in town. I haven't done any for about eight years, and I quite fancy doing it again now.

Great Idea. Not sure if my 55 year old legs will be up to much dancing though.

...May I just mention the new Beverley Knight album "Music City Soul" and the fairly new John Legend album "Once again".

Both albums are soulful without having to rely on godawful sampling, urban rhythms, rapping and other sundry shite. Just good tunes, real instruments, great singers. Like it used to be actually.

Anyone else on this thread old enought to remember when R'n'b meant bands like Dr Feelgood rather than committee and marketing designed pap who can only get in the charts on the strength of how little the girl vocalist can get away with wearing on the video.

Ok, rant over, I'll go and lay down now!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
The Large One said:

And made me realise that I am not the only one on NSC with good musical taste. Here's me thinking I was alone on this cruel web-site!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
TrevorT said:
...May I just mention the new Beverley Knight album "Music City Soul" and the fairly new John Legend album "Once again".

Both albums are soulful without having to rely on godawful sampling, urban rhythms, rapping and other sundry shite. Just good tunes, real instruments, great singers. Like it used to be actually.

Anyone else on this thread old enought to remember when R'n'b meant bands like Dr Feelgood rather than committee and marketing designed pap who can only get in the charts on the strength of how little the girl vocalist can get away with wearing on the video.

Ok, rant over, I'll go and lay down now!
No, stay awake and fight the system!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Large One said:

Yeah do it mate. That would be awesome.

People could also bring their own as well :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I may be getting into murky waters that I don't understand here BUT, thanks to my mp3 and my digital record deck, I rediscovered my copy of Dexy's Midnight Runners Too-Rye-Aye (sp?) a few weeks ago. Now ignoring the much played at parties come on Eileen I have been thoroughly enjoying listening to it, probably more than I did when I first bought it. Wasn't that some kind of northern soul?.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
rool said:
I may be getting into murky waters that I don't understand here BUT, thanks to my mp3 and my digital record deck, I rediscovered my copy of Dexy's Midnight Runners Too-Rye-Aye (sp?) a few weeks ago. Now ignoring the much played at parties come on Eileen I have been thoroughly enjoying listening to it, probably more than I did when I first bought it. Wasn't that some kind of northern soul?.
No! 'Come On Eileen' is more a kind of uptempo folk.

However, in 1980, Dexy's did do Stax soul-style tunes, including a cover of Johnny Johnson & The Bandwagon's 'Breaking Down The Walls of Heartache' and their own 'There, There My Dear'. Their biggest hit of the time was a tribute to Kevin Rowlands' own teenage hero - 'Geno'.

Have a listen to some Northern Soul...

http://www.live365.com/stations/236294?tm=4566243

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here