Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Songs you didnt realise were cover versions

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Many of the early British groups relied on doing reedy cover versions of American rock n roll classics. I once saw the Stones, bottom of the bill, perform their first commercial release, a cover of Chuck Berry's Come On, at the Hammersmith Odeon. It was pathetically thin and greeted by near-indifference by those in the audience who had paid to get in. Some of their girlfriends squealed a little bit but that was all.

Blue suede shoes, by Elvis, Sailing, by Rod Stewart, This old house, by Shakin Stevens, Green door by Shakin Stevens, Mandy, by Barry Manilow, The Lion sleeps tonight, by tight fit, Arms of Mary, by Boyzone, 911 and other artists, Mary's boy child, by Boney M. The list is endless.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Too much Too Young - The Specials:

Taken from the brilliantly rude Skinhead Reggae classic "Birth Control" by lloydie & the Lowbites (search you tube as I cant paste links unfortunately)! As mentioned before, you can trace most Madness/Specials/Bad Manners tunes back to something similar - just google Prince Buster & you will soon find something you recognise (yes, even One Step Beyond was Prince Buster originally!)

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011

Billy Bragg version i love, i was working behind a bar a couple of years ago and this came on and was confused as never heard it before.

Then found out they did a duet on it, but i love Billy Version, the lyrics are brilliant.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
The Mighty Quinn (aka Quinn the Eskimo) as popularised by Manfred Mann was a Bob Dylan folk song. Heaven alone knows what he'd been smoking when he wrote this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd always thought that the Blues Bros were covering a Stones song but nope, this is the guy who co-wrote it

[yt]7OKAlBC-XWQ[/yt]

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When people moan about yet another cover coming out, I'm always surprised to see all the artists that sang so many of the same songs. Jerry Lee Lewis sang songs that Little Richard had done and vice versa, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings were all recording each others songs before forming the highwaymen, and so on.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
My Way by Frank Sinarta was a cover , i knew this but a lot of people didn't.

The original was by Sid Vicious.

:jester:, ok i lied. it was Paul Anka.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Many tracks are not really 'covers' but actually stolen.
For example;
Production and lyrics are obviously completely different - but how tough is it when you just take an existing tune and replace the words?

What about Swagger Jagger and 'Oh my Darlin' Clementine' I swear it's exactly the same!

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Oasis' 'Shakermaker' was originally a coke advert by The New Seekers.

I think I prefer the original.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here