Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Songs you didnt realise were cover versions

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I had an argument with someone the other day about the Templecloud - One Big Family song. I told them it was a cover of an Embrace song but they would not have it. I actually had to download the original to prove it.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
The amount of current chart songs that have samples is staggering!

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Sorry - but EVERYTHING by Rod Stewart is a cover, so.... why would this one particularly be a shock??

Come come NMH, I don't know about them all but Maggie May, Stay with Me, Angel, Pool Hall Richard and Cindy Incidentally surely not. He then went a bit disco and then a bit pipe and slippers where he may have covered a few...

Pumba04

Jan 27, 2011
Burgess Hill
David Watts - the Jam..... Took me months to believe my dad that he knew the lyrics as it was originally by the Kinks and written by Ray Davies. I accused him of stealing the album (which to this day I still think he did!)

One of the few Jam songs sung by Foxton and not Weller

Come come NMH, I don't know about them all but Maggie May, Stay with Me, Angel, Pool Hall Richard and Cindy Incidentally surely not. He then went a bit disco and then a bit pipe and slippers where he may have covered a few...

'Angel' was Jimi Hendrix. Most probably inspired by his vision of his mother, who died young and was absent for much of Jimi's life.

As for the other tunes, mostly co-written I believe. Martin Quittenton did the music on Maggie May, and I would think The Faces did for the other boozy rants.
Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed some of his stuff and have a few Faces, Beck Group, Python Lee Jackson and early solo singles by Rod the Mod - but let's not credit him where it's not due!

Still, here are some examples of great songs sung but not composed by Rod Stewart;

[yt]IvUEzrQBSeo[/yt]

[yt]Wp1cuR9XcBY[/yt]

[yt]ervf7hIxZ3Y[/yt]

[yt]VpbR9Q-9o7E[/yt]

Last edited:

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
[yt]L1ZJskOo2ro&feature=related[/yt]

Not originally by Annie Lennox but by The Lover Speaks.

Adele - Make you feel my love
up pops Mr Zimmerman again

I didn't realise it until recently - much covered so Mr. Z must enjoy the monthly royalty cheque. Covered by an amazing variety of artists from Bryan Ferry via Billy Joel to Jeremy Irons who doesn't do a bad job on it.

Mel Gibson has also done a cover of it during which he seems to be deciding about breaking into full Elvis in Vegas mode. Anyone on Spotify could probably waste a few hours checking out all the versions, some which of which have acquired an extraneous "You..." at the start of the title.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The original by John Kongos was brilliant, packed with hooks. Was listening to it in the car only last week.

It's a great track, much better than the Happy Mondays' version. In fact, it was only a few years ago that I realised that the HM had covered it (much of the Madchester stuff passed me by)

Here's one that I only found was a cover version a few years back

[yt]Yhcq_Km5QcA[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here