Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Someone called me a racist............

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Charity begins at home I thought, not according to Tony Blair it seems. Well said Harty.

And anyway, with all the call centres that British and American companies are setting up over there (to the detriment of their customers) the indigious government should have more tax from the newly employed staff.

Harty said:
On Friday I learned that our local area health authority in Worthing had closed 25 beds at the Hospital and cancelled a number of operations because they didn't have the funds, yet whilst driving in the car I heard on the radio that Tony Blair is sending another £33million in aid to the earthquake in Pakistan, having previously sent £25million, with another £30million earmarked over the next few months

As I saw some young poster coming out with utter crap then I thought I'd just like to say we shouldn't be giving Pakistan a single penny. why should we? after all, they're going to spend $1.5 billion on F-16 fighter jets.

Don't you think it's outrageous that they ask other nations for aid when they are spending absurd amounts on Fighter Jets, etc.

I'll not donate a single penny of my hard earned cash.

THE DAILY TIMES.

EDITORIAL: Spend money on alleviating human distress and not on fuelling arms race

Pakistan’s resource base is under pressure from the October 8 earthquake. The government says that $5-10 billion will eventually be needed to rehabilitate and rebuild the lives and homes of the quake victims. The United Nations is asking the world to contribute half a billion dollars for relief work immediately but has had little success so far in meeting its target. Some money has come from Turkey, Saudi Arabia and other Muslim countries. But international donors have not been as forthcoming as hoped. Indeed, it does seem that while the Western countries are agreeable to sending men and materials to Pakistan they are still leery of forking over cash to Islamabad. Is the fact at the back of their minds that Pakistan is about to spend $1.5 billion on a first batch of F-16 fighter bombers when that money could be better spent on alleviating the hardships of the people of Pakistan? Countries in the EU, like France, which have yet to decide to give any kind of aid, could conceivably balk at the seeming contradiction between Pakistan’s needs and its military’s desires.

Look after your own.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Re: Re: Someone called me a racist............

Oceanic said:
As I saw some young poster coming out with utter crap then I thought I'd just like to say we shouldn't be giving Pakistan a single penny. why should we? after all, they're going to spend $1.5 billion on F-16 fighter jets.

[/URL]

I believe they cancelled that order shortly after the damage by the earthquake was seen to be as devastating as it was.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
why do you want a functioning nhs, surely its bad for business?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Re: Re: Someone called me a racist............

Oceanic said:

Don't you think it's outrageous that they ask other nations for aid when they are spending absurd amounts on Fighter Jets, etc.

I'll not donate a single penny of my hard earned cash.

THE DAILY TIMES.

EDITORIAL: Spend money on alleviating human distress and not on fuelling arms race

Pakistan’s resource base is under pressure from the October 8 earthquake. The government says that $5-10 billion will eventually be needed to rehabilitate and rebuild the lives and homes of the quake victims. The United Nations is asking the world to contribute half a billion dollars for relief work immediately but has had little success so far in meeting its target. Some money has come from Turkey, Saudi Arabia and other Muslim countries. But international donors have not been as forthcoming as hoped. Indeed, it does seem that while the Western countries are agreeable to sending men and materials to Pakistan they are still leery of forking over cash to Islamabad. Is the fact at the back of their minds that Pakistan is about to spend $1.5 billion on a first batch of F-16 fighter bombers when that money could be better spent on alleviating the hardships of the people of Pakistan? Countries in the EU, like France, which have yet to decide to give any kind of aid, could conceivably balk at the seeming contradiction between Pakistan’s needs and its military’s desires.

Look after your own.

I see your compassion for George Best's women doesn't extend to the dying women and children of Pakistan.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
bhaexpress said:
Charity begins at home I thought,

Good grief, do you live all your life by cliches? What a simple little insular world some of you live in. You need to get out more.

Even if you are selfish enough to want to only spend the West's riches on itself, have you not noticed how important a somewhat-friendly government in Pakistan is at the moment?

Want more bombs on the underground? Want more mobs trying to cross into Europe? Go on then, take the isolationist view some of you are proposing - and just see how 'isolated' you really are.

BTW, £30million pales in comparison to the savings the NHS and the rest of the UK makes by buying goods produced by slave labour in developing nations. Eaten any cheap fruit lately? Wearing any mass-produced clothing? Good chances are they were produced by people earning less than 50p a day.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Juan Albion said:
Good grief, do you live all your life by cliches? What a simple little insular world some of you live in. You need to get out more.

Even if you are selfish enough to want to only spend the West's riches on itself, have you not noticed how important a somewhat-friendly government in Pakistan is at the moment?

Want more bombs on the underground? Want more mobs trying to cross into Europe? Go on then, take the isolationist view some of you are proposing - and just see how 'isolated' you really are.

BTW, £30million pales in comparison to the savings the NHS and the rest of the UK makes by buying goods produced by slave labour in developing nations. Eaten any cheap fruit lately? Wearing any mass-produced clothing? Good chances are they were produced by people earning less than 50p a day.

Well said vicar.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Juan Albion said:

Bloody hell, who rattled your cage ? How much has Canada given I wonder ?

Why should we help other over populated countries when our own people are suffering anyway ? What has Pakistan done for us recently apart from harbouring terrorists ? Oh, don't they have a habit of intimidating Christians too ?

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
bhaexpress said:

Why should we help other over populated countries when our own people are suffering anyway ? What has Pakistan done for us recently apart from harbouring terrorists ?a habit of

Now I'm sure I said that on here a few months ago and YOU shot me down in flames for it.

Funny old world innit?

Buy hey what do I know :rolleyes:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
gerbil said:
Now I'm sure I said that on here a few months ago and YOU shot me down in flames for it.

Funny old world innit?

Buy hey what do I know :rolleyes:

Yes, I may have done, my apologies I am am going for the hypocrit of the week award. :(

In point of fact my original post was meant to be tongue in cheek and I was a bit surprised that Jaun (of all people) would get on his high horse about it. There's a grain of truth in what I said later I feel.

Last edited:

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
Juan Albion said:

Hang on I am just checking to see if I am guilt ridden over your statement.

Computer says no.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
sullyupthewing said:
Hang on I am just checking to see if I am guilt ridden over your statement.

Computer says no.

'Hate' to admit it but that sums up my opinion too.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Or 30 million could build a hospital in Sussex and no operations would be cancelled. If one of those hospital cancellations causes something that is then life threatening and it was someone you knew, then you might think differently when millions are being sent abroad. Agree with Harty on this. Poor pakistan, but once we have our own society modernised and cleaned up, then start sending millions out to the less fortunate.

Dandyman

In London village.
simonsimon said:
As a proportion of total government spending £30 million is a mere drop in the ocean and would not make hardly any difference to our economy.

If such a sum is spent in the third world it is much more significant, and has greater effect, especially in disaster areas.

Stop being so Selfish.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

:clap:

Alternatively work out the money spend on the invasion and occupation of Iraq, the amount Public Schools avoid paying in tax by being classed as "Charities", the amount that would be raised by taxing income over 100K at at least 50%, etc. etc

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Or you could work out that Pakistan spends over 20% of its national budget on defence spending, a total of £4,500 million every year. I'm sure they could afford to lose £30m of that somewhere. But of course, defence spending is actually very good for their domestic economy (any governement spending is usually good in economic terms) so the cut could prove counterproductive. Better that we give the money and try to encourage their sons not to become terrorists and blow up Indians.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here