Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sol Campbell quits Notts County?

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I must be missing something here. Why are Svens wages a problem now ?

I am being very obtuse I think.

Hypothetically, if Notts County lose their rich owner, the owner leaves the club paying wages which can only be covered if the owner stays.

Campbell cancels his contract and the club owe him nothing.

I am wondering, should this scenario appear, whether Sven, now that his wages are paid by a skint club, would also do the honourable thing and walk away...

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

Hypothetically, if Notts County lose their rich owner, the owner leaves the club paying wages which can only be covered if the owner stays.

I am wondering, should this scenario appear, whether Sven, now that his wages are paid by a skint club, would also do the honourable thing and walk away...

I dont think he would have a choice. Unless the present owners pay of all the contracts. But why would they. Worrying times for Notts County.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I heard he quit because he was terrified of facing micky Adams
tactical prowess and tommy frasers leadership skills this weekend. Loft would have SPAFFED him right up

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
He has a five year contract, why on earth would they agree to cancel it?

£40k a week for 5 years is a lot of dosh especially if the FL impose a points deduction and they end up in the BSP next season :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I would think Svens contract is with the clubs owners as opposed to Notts County FC. Without Munto Finance's involvment, County havn't got a pot to piss in. If the new owners upped and left owing Sven money, its them that Sven would pursue for any cash he is owed, not the club.

Presumably.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
For me, it was when his Dad died. He was never the same player after that.

Correct me if my chronology is wrong but I thought his Dad died in September 2003, and that was why he missed Man U/Arsenal in Sep '03 and Keown played and did his mad gargoyle jump at RVN.

He was then pretty damn solid for Arsenal the year they won it. He also wasn't too bad for his three year stint at Pompey, it was just that small spell in early 2006 when he went off the boil.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I would think Svens contract is with the clubs owners as opposed to Notts County FC. Without Munto Finance's involvment, County havn't got a pot to piss in. If the new owners upped and left owing Sven money, its them that Sven would pursue for any cash he is owed, not the club.

Presumably.

One of the arguments against mega-rich owners is that if they decide not to carry on, the club is left with the debt. Unless, you're right, the contracts are spefically with the owner but why would they agree to that in the first place?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
As he is now a non contract player can he sign for Palace ? :smile:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Contract for Sven and Sol were both underwritten by the rich investors - contract was not with the club so if they dump Notts County they would still be committed to paying these two contracts - and possibly others. Notts County chairman was clear on this when they both signed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One of the arguments against mega-rich owners is that if they decide not to carry on, the club is left with the debt. Unless, you're right, the contracts are spefically with the owner but why would they agree to that in the first place?

Because its the only way Sven knows he'll get the money owed on his contract.

Its one thing for the likes of Chelsea to have rich owners and attract big names to sign for them, because they're in a high profile financial environment whereby they also have millions of pounds turnover coming into the club from various sources (Chumps League, FAPL, sponsorship, TV money etc etc).

Obviously a club like Notts County has nothing like the kind of turnover of a Chelsea or Man City have. If the current rich owner goes, then there really is NO money whatsoever there for Sven to chase.

Hence, I reckon its Munto / the owners of Munto who Svens contract is with, not Notts County. One thing that bloke knows is how to make a few bob for himself.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What Sol Campbell REALLY needs is a club that has an immediate vacancy for an experienced, quality centre half, ideally at lower league level so he can play his way back in and show his class, and in a location not far from the bright lights of London, with a famously, um, diverse population and culture to suit his social needs.

If only such a club existed :jester:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I really don't think Sol would be interested in Gillingham, Edna.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I really don't think Sol would be interested in Gillingham, Edna.

:p

Maybe for the right club (none of the above), he'd agree to play for a discounted rate in exchange for free entry into some of the city's finest nightclubs, saunas and, er, outdoor spots.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
He lives around Arundel somewhere, or so I'm lead to believe, he can't play for a Premiership club until January earliest so he'll forego the £40k and come and play for us for £1.5k a week?

Good news, I'll even give him a lift if he shares the petrol!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here