Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Soho House will be opening late Summer

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Can confirm it existed having been in there, can’t recall the name.

Was it something like Palmer’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're right, Palmers sounds familiar. Not sure it was a private members club but was open after everything else closed at 2am.
Mischief and merriment.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
This was the Linden Club in Waterloo Street and I lived opposite. Special Branch regularly kept watch on who went in and out, even renting the flat next door at one stage.

That was it One of the funniest (looking back) and scariest moments of my life was when trying to sell Sid 1,000 bottles of knocked off Scotch, that didn't actually exist. He wasn't a fella to be messed with.

I'm sure there was some good viewing from a flat opposite

What’s Hungry years ? Wierd name

Legendary (for some) rock club/disco just off the seafront by the former dolphinarium. Any here used to frequent it? I used to come all the way from T.Wells to headbang and play air guitar.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
soho house just seems so antithetical to what makes Brighton 'cool', a small nail in the coffin of counter culture. sad really.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I recall just such a place in Queens Square. Would have been mid 90’s. Unfortunately my memory of it is somewhat hampered by the amount booze consumed there. Was definitely in a basement of one of the houses on the opposite side from the taxi rank.

Anyone remember it or have I dreamt it up?

I went there quite a few times but was never actually a member. No one asked if I was either but back when licensing laws were stricter it was good fun.

Can confirm it existed having been in there, can’t recall the name.

Was it something like Palmer’s?

It was up on the left as you walked up towards it. Palmers sounds right, and it was a members club in the loosest sense. I seem to recall there was a Brighton rugby club connection?

I was a member of a club which was above a cocktail bar on Western Road. That was a proper members club, proper in the sense it had an application form and a card. And I also went to a basement den of iniquity on (possibly) Regency Square which had a Latin name, possibly Cuba Club or similar. If it wasn’t Regency it was nearby. That was a members club based on whether the doorman could remember you or not. The owner was an utter lunatic, think his coke habit played a huge part in his mood and behavior. I remember my first evening I asked if they had a fag machine and he said no, but asked what I smoked. I told him Marlboro Lights and he then went around the venue and asked people for a Marlboro light for me. Every 10 minutes he then said, I’ll get you another...regardless of whether I wanted one or not. It become a bit weird and awkward so I always remembered to go in there well stocked subsequent times.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was up on the left as you walked up towards it. Palmers sounds right, and it was a members club in the loosest sense. I seem to recall there was a Brighton rugby club connection?

I was a member of a club which was above a cocktail bar on Western Road. That was a proper members club, proper in the sense it had an application form and a card. And I also went to a basement den of iniquity on (possibly) Regency Square which had a Latin name, possibly Cuba Club or similar. If it wasn’t Regency it was nearby. That was a members club based on whether the doorman could remember you or not. The owner was an utter lunatic, think his coke habit played a huge part in his mood and behavior.

Was that Western Road joint next to Waitrose?

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Legendary (for some) rock club/disco just off the seafront by the former dolphinarium. Any here used to frequent it? I used to come all the way from T.Wells to headbang and play air guitar.

Yep.

Legendary.

I still have my membership card.

A bit sad and crumbled. Like me.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I was a member of a club which was above a cocktail bar on Western Road. That was a proper members club, proper in the sense it had an application form and a card. And I also went to a basement den of iniquity on (possibly) Regency Square which had a Latin name, possibly Cuba Club or similar. .

Was it Koba next to Waitrose? I was a member there for a while. Lived round the corner and the thought of being joining a member's only bar appealed in my younger days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was it Koba next to Waitrose? I was a member there for a while. Lived round the corner and the thought of being joining a member's only bar appealed in my younger days.

That’s the one!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think Palmers was a members club, we used to go in a fair bit at some point during the 90s and would never have signed up for anything like that. (Incidentally it had been a den for years, there's a YT video from 1960 about the scourge of teenagers, beatnik etc which was filmed there)

I remember the one next to Waitrose when it was the Fars Bar and it had the club upstairs. Maybe 98/99?

And no, I will not be joining Soho House, thanks.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Occassionally perhaps........ :whistle:

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I guess The Hove Club in 4th Avenue is the closest B&H has to an exclusive style members club. It always reminded me of those old gentlemen's clubs in London. Not an arts one though, The Hove Club was about businessmen and professionals. I DJd a few jobs in there back in the day and was offered membership but I declined.

http://www.thehoveclub.com/

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
And I also went to a basement den of iniquity on (possibly) Regency Square which had a Latin name, possibly Cuba Club or similar. If it wasn’t Regency it was nearby.

I vaguely remember Cuba Club. It was on Regency Square I think... Definitely recall one very messy night there if I'm thinking of the right place.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Ok - sounds like it was for rockers then . Not my bag even when I was a student . I wanted to hang out at the Limelight with the cool kids ....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I vaguely remember Cuba Club. It was on Regency Square I think... Definitely recall one very messy night there if I'm thinking of the right place.

If was a place for messy nights; I think we’re talking about the same place. No one went there for a quiet drink....or went before midnight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here