Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Soho House will be opening late Summer

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I recall just such a place in Queens Square. Would have been mid 90’s. Unfortunately my memory of it is somewhat hampered by the amount booze consumed there. Was definitely in a basement of one of the houses on the opposite side from the taxi rank.

Anyone remember it or have I dreamt it up?

I went there quite a few times but was never actually a member. No one asked if I was either but back when licensing laws were stricter it was good fun.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I recall just such a place in Queens Square. Would have been mid 90’s. Unfortunately my memory of it is somewhat hampered by the amount booze consumed there. Was definitely in a basement of one of the houses on the opposite side from the taxi rank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably listed in this thread - http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?135785-Nights-out-in-Brighton-on-the-Late-70s-Early-80s

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
675611A3-B15D-4F16-98F5-55B0D5F16E4A.jpeg

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Can confirm it existed having been in there, can’t recall the name.

Was it something like Palmer’s?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I suspect Soho house will be in a different league to the examples posted here . You can’t just pay £1500 pa to be a member ,you have to work in the arts in some way & be seconded .

Does this make it Premier League, Champions League?

Hopefully European Super League so it’s members can bugger off somewhere else to be so elitist.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Funny - that place I think is a members club but it’s out in Brooklyn - when I lived in NY I never left Manhattan, why would you . All the best things about the city are all in Manhattan. It would be the equivalent of saying you love Brighton but went out in the evening to Saltdean etc . Would be weird .

There’s nothing weird about the Saltdean Tav and the Spanish Lady ( well, nothing that I’d risk posting on here)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Brighton's always had member's clubs in one form or another. pub opening times seems to have been the end of a lot of them. My experience of the few I've visited is that most of them are full of middle aged, coked up Herberts.
I don't know anything about Soho House. A general rule is that if they announce they are opening or have to tout for business, they're not worth bothering with.
Far better making friends with someone who runs a pub and enjoy the lock-ins.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
100% of Soho House members that I’ve come across in life have been absolute, weapons grade, platinum c***s. Funnily enough, their opinion of themselves is very different.

This. Several people I went to school and university with are/were members. To a man, utter wankers. I wouldn’t join if they paid ME £1500 a year.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've been in a couple through work and if you one of those people who get a kick out of "feeling rich" by paying three times what everyone is paying for the SAME THING I'm sure you will enjoy the experience.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Shirley the Brighton branch of Soho House will be named Boasters.

Boasting that they are SO RICH they paid over completely over the odds for a rubbish bottle of beer.

There are of course "benefits". Waiting far longer for table service that you would get at the bar and the chance to see a pissed up Eamonn Holmes on a leaving do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here