Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Soft Drinks in Pubs.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I went past a pub in Bracknell today and they had a sign outside saying, Free Pepsi Refills. Good idea.

I was in a pub in Wolverhampton a few months ago that had free soft drinks for drivers every friday and Saturday night.

You had to hand your car keys over in return for a card which you had to show the at the bar for each drink and then to get your keys back they had a breathaliser machine and you had to pass to get your keys.

I thaught it was a well good idea!

Lush

Mods' Pet
Was in a pub last night and ordered a beer for myself and a pint of coke for my mate. Now the coke was served out of a 2 ltr bottle from the fridge marked £1.80 and was then charged £ 2.30 for the pint of coke!!

Can they do this, is it legal? Anyone out there know?

Thanks in advance.

He probably got a bargain. Isn't that syrup that comes out of the squirty thing something like 1p a serving?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Worse than the price of soft drinks in pubs is the price of a glass of wine. My local charges somewhere around £4.50 for a large of glass of rose! FFS you can buy three BOTTLES for a tenner in most supermarkets.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He probably got a bargain. Isn't that syrup that comes out of the squirty thing something like 1p a serving?

Not quite it costs about 2.55p per shot. Depending on who you buy it from; a 10ltr box of bag in the box Coca Cola will cost about £50 + vat which will then produce 245 x 10oz glasses of Coke. Hence pubs would rather sell coca cola than beer.

On the question of legality you can charge what you like dispensed how you like from bottles. 3ltr bottles, cans or draught provided it is the product that you are advertising ie if you ask for Coke you can not sell somebody pepsi without telling them that it isnt coca cola and provided the measures and price are shown and adhered to. Trading standards are now having a go at Coffee shops for their advertisng of coffee as regular and large with no description of the quantity being sold.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it just doesnt make any sence does it. but its nothing new, as a labourer a few years shy of 18 in the early/mid 90's, i was in a pub after work and the bricky refused to buy me a coke when the lager cost less. so a life of drinking began. :whisky:

but seriously, isnt it time the OFT had a sniff around this? how are we supposed to take anti-drink drive and anti-binge drink campiagns seriously when a coke costs more than a double vodka or a pint. and then theres the bottled lagers, how to the get away with effectivly charging double?

Last edited:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I was on a cruise boat once with Geoff Capes.
He ordered a pint of coke and the waiter brought it complete with ice.

Capes took one look at it, and asked the waiter to bring another pint glass into which he poured the coke, leaving the ice behind.

He then asked the waiter to go and fill the glass of coke up to the pint level.

Top man, but then you don't argue with him.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
At 2.55p a glass I would have thought unlimited refills would be a good idea for a pub.
Unlimited refills sounds good but you end up having 5 glasses MAX. If advertised well it would help promote the pub as anti-drink-driving and anti-binge-drinking.

But then the Coke drinker in the party would only buy one drink, so instead of buying, say, 3, at about £7, he only spends a little bit, even of the pub aren't losing much by giving out as much Coke as he wants.

I always think with things like this, that surely there's a limit to how much people will spend before being pissed off about it, and is it really worth pissing people off? How much profit do you really need to make on a drink, and how much are you losing by generally giving the pub a reputation as expensive?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was on a cruise boat once with Geoff Capes.
He ordered a pint of coke and the waiter brought it complete with ice.

Capes took one look at it, and asked the waiter to bring another pint glass into which he poured the coke, leaving the ice behind.

He then asked the waiter to go and fill the glass of coke up to the pint level.

Top man, but then you don't argue with him.

That's a disappointing end to the story.

I thought you were going to say he put the pint of coke under his chin, spun round three times and hurled the glass across the bar. :(

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The story goes that when Coca Cola was invented the inventor told them that for $1000 dollars he would tell them how to make even more money for it. At the time it was dispensed like we do squash using some cola mixture asnd adding water. His suggestion for the $1000, which at the time was like asking for £1m, was to add preservatives and put it in airtight bottles. Whether the story is true or not I do not know. Prior to the present system of postmix where the water mixes with the syrup they used to sell it premix in 13 litre tanks. Another useless bit of information, I was told by a Schweppes fitter that if McDonalds ring up with a fault they have to ignore all other calls and be at the McDonalds and have fixed the repair within 2 hours, even if it means installing new eqiupment as they are by far Coca Cola's biggest account.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Apparently Scotland is in the only country in the world where Coke is not the biggest selling soft drink.
No prizes for their favourite?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here