Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Soccer Night 11.30pm McGhee

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sort of stuff I learnt at school about formations.

I think it showed that 5-3-2 is still flawed (although it could be adapted for a extra lease of life) in Championship football, as the long ball played into the gap when the full back goes forward can be killer. However, this is notional more than anything as if only one full-back goes forward at a time, you still have four at the back.

I see Nicolas as a man-marker to an anchor-man type of midfielder. Nicolas would not be able to keep up with a high stamina midfielder though.

Still it was much better than the normal drivel on the bits in between the goals. McGhee makes a better media presence than Coppell, but I expect most people would.

It Championship Manager there are lots of arrows and things, at least in the old copies. Do they mean anything in the game?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
London Irish said:
Well, bit harsh on Chippy that. We were committed forward but Mayo made a mistake and they counterattacked.

Good spot. Indeed it was Mayo with the loose pass initially but when the ball was played wide you could see Chippy suddenly panic when he realised that he was 5 yards behind the bloke in the middle who then got the ball played inside to him.

The other factor didn't mention wa that their winning goal whilst involving Butters & Hinsh was also the part responsibility of our keeper who by that stage was shot away and coughed up a simple diving gather into his body.

True enough, MM.

Perseus, don't think it was the 5-3-2 that was at fault, we played different kinds of 4-4-2 in each half. The problem was our right back Reid was getting done in the air by Tudgay and that required bringing Hinsh back into defence so Virgs could be put on Tudgay.

Given that McGhee explained that, you could see what a smart player Tudgay is because he then got himself over to the other side of the pitch well away from Virgs for the winner.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
London Irish said:
True enough, MM.

Perseus, don't think it was the 5-3-2 that was at fault, we played different kinds of 4-4-2 in each half. The problem was our right back Reid was getting done in the air by Tudgay and that required bringing Hinsh back into defence so Virgs could be put on Tudgay.

Given that McGhee explained that, you could see what a smart player Tudgay is because he then got himself over to the other side of the pitch well away from Virgs for the winner.

I agree. I do not think we are actually playing 5-3-2 (wing-back system). It is usually four at the back. Just a title really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here