Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who's off work today?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It is wrong to generalise and I won't but it would be interesting to compare the proportion of public sector workers who can't get to work with that of the private sector and the self-employed.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Was off work yesterday with the lurgy but did do some work. Still off today so will do a bit more. Tomorrow is a conundrum as it's our xmas party but given train doubts, weather, my lurgy etc I am having to rate myself as doubtful.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It is wrong to generalise and I won't but it would be interesting to compare the proportion of public sector workers who can't get to work with that of the private sector and the self-employed.

Good point :thumbsup:

stupendor

Feb 21, 2010
Gets me 2 days off as they can't get me a flight to Lisbon for tomorrow, have to go to Tenerife Saturday. Get the night off there too, put up in hotel and start 6 months solid Sunday

luke17

Oct 9, 2003
Was off yesterday and spend all day in the pub and going down the pub in an hour and the same tomorrow i expect.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone know what conditions are like in Battle? Only I'll not bother going if things are impassable!

One of our guys got into work in Hastings from just the other side of Battle this morning in a taxi. Not much idea beyond that though I'm afraid.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Walked the 3 miles or so to work as usual today, as did three other members of staff. Our caretakery and ring round type duties done, home now with the afternoon off :)

Not me, for the second day. Couldn't get out on Monday, either, although I wasn't due in then. Probably won't be going in until tomorrow.

Dunno what the excuse for those living in the south is, though...

In my experience, having worked in the private sector and the public sector, and having been self-employed (and I'm currently self-employed half the week and public sector the other half), I would guess that the private sector workers are more likely to be off, with the public sector workers and the self-employed roughly the same (although many of the latter will be "working from home").

For example: one of my past places of work was in one of the (private) shops within a university campus. Uni staff would be in, classes would be on, and the shops would be shut. The (privatised) service departments would be closed, too - so the lecture rooms would be getting used, but the out-sourced cleaners wouldn't be cleaning them. Nor would anyone be able to get food from the out-sourced cafes. Tsk.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here