Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who's going to Sith Ifrica next year ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you go to South Africa believing that, you have a good chance of becoming one of the crime statistics.

Crime is worse in the townships, but there are a lot of hikackings and robberies in the affluent areas. And you can get killed for a mobile phone. Different cities have different dangers. The best way to know how safe an area is is to look at the houses. If they are surrounded by high walls with electric fencing and burglar bars - don't wander around after dark, be vigilant when driving. Also if you see a highjacking hotspot sign, do what it says and don't stop! These signs appear on the freeways so you can't avoid them if you are travelling between cities.

In general - J'oburg, Pretoria and Durban aren't safe. The Cape is.

Like anywhere, take advice from the locals - I've been about six times and have never had any problems. It's a great country to visit and the people are very hospitable. But there are a number of serious criminals - and they will see an influx of tourists as a feeding ground - just like the lions would in the Kruger!

The only crime I saw when I was in Africa was on Signal Hill in Cape town where a German tourist had had the straps to his bumbag slashed with a knife and stolen.
I would never dream of detering anyone from visiting what is a fantastic place but I`m not convinced the Cape is any safer than anywhere else.

Ok perhaps Joberg then.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Parts of Durban are NOT Good, Jo'burg is horrible and you will need to be streetwise, Cape Town is one the best cities in the world...no doubt england will get Jo'burgh!!!!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
If you get the chance to go to South Africa, you MUST go as it is an amazing place...just be careful and use common sense!

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
My cousin went on a rugby tour to SA not long ago. They got invited to a party at some mansion and a mob of BLACK people turned up with guns, robbed money, jewellery, phones etc but no one was hurt. My cousin was brave enough (or stupid enough) keep his stuff with him and not give it to the robbers!! Not sure what happened to their losses.

My cousin went on a rugby tour to SA not long ago. They got invited to a party at some mansion and a mob of BLACK people turned up with guns, robbed money, jewellery, phones etc but no one was hurt. My cousin was brave enough (or stupid enough) keep his stuff with him and not give it to the robbers!! Not sure what happened to their losses.

Why the capitals, Snoobs?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Northern Ireland will win it.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
You will see as much trouble if you are "sensible" as you would down West Street on Saturday night

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not sure whether to reply to this thread or not, but I suppose I had better!!

Northstander is correct - be streetwise, just like anywhere. A few points:

- Be vigilant and dont do anything stupid.
- Major tourist hotspots are crime hotspots - Durban seafront for example, so be careful. If you want to go to a beach, go to one of the smaller ones. Most have security patrols these days.
- PARTS of Durban , Jo'burg and Pretoria are dodgy, just like anywhere else in the world. If you can, stay outside the cities and travel in for games.
- There is crime in the Cape, just like anywhere else.
- Dont wander around looking like a tourist (ie with 17 cameras hanging around your neck!!).

Plans are in place for thousands of extra policeman for the world cup. Danny Jordaan has said that if they know where you are (ie the authorities), you will be safe. By that I assume they mean that extra policing will be laid on where they know a lot of footy supporters are staying.

Word gets around in this country - if you respect the locals and are pleasant to them, they will be pleasant back and look out for you. If you treat them like Sh&t, dont be too surprised if you are picked out. The victims of crime where I live are usually the ones who treat people very badly (a generalisation, but reasonably valid).

Mosquitos and HIV - thats a good one!! Buy lots of Tabard or Peaceful Sleep!! Mossies wont be bad at that time of year anyway other than in the Game Reserves.

If you are looking for a "good time" with the locals, be aware that the official HIV infection rate is 25%. The unofficial rate, particularly in rural areas, is over 50%.

Finally, South Africa is a fantastic country with some fabulous people. I cannot guarantee that you will not be a victim of crime, but it is not as bad as people make out. Just be alert and vigilant and you will be OK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here