Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who's going to Sith Ifrica next year ?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
What happened?

We were driving along during the day and we HAD to stop at a junction (due to both traffic congestion and an accident). One minute we were sitting in this queue and the next minute both driver and passenger side windows were smashed by 2 guys who it seemed had appeared from nowhere. They demanded money, wallet, phones and we gave it to them obviously, they then ran away. I dread to think what would have happened if there had been less people around.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I was in no way having a go at TMLS.
"If anyone said that about the UK" would equally apply.

Having worked in Mansfield and Worksop I don't think that it's the just the UK's areas with high black populations that are most akin to south african townships in relation to crime/deprivation!

We were driving along during the day and we HAD to stop at a junction (due to both traffic congestion and an accident). One minute we were sitting in this queue and the next minute both driver and passenger side windows were smashed by 2 guys who it seemed had appeared from nowhere. They demanded money, wallet, phones and we gave it to them obviously, they then ran away. I dread to think what would have happened if there had been less people around.

Were they armed?

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008

Indeed. Aen't you advised to take 2 wallets to South Africa, in case of things like that happen?

Having worked in Mansfield and Worksop I don't think that it's the just the UK's areas with high black populations that are most akin to south african townships in relation to crime/deprivation!

In relation to gun crime (unheard of in Mansfield), I think there is a correlation in the UK between areas with a large density of black residents compared with areas like Mansfield and Worksop, in which you will have noticed the (almost) absence of black faces. Did you work for ntl, BTW?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I'd avoid rape if I were you, being as its probably the HIV capital of the world

Just a thought - With the high incidence of HIV in SA, what if a mosquito has a good suck of some HIV infected blood, as it must do, and then sinks its proboscis into your skin - surely the risk is the same as getting jabbed with an infected needle:ohmy:

Just a thought - With the high incidence of HIV in SA, what if a mosquito has a good suck of some HIV infected blood, as it must do, and then sinks its proboscis into your skin - surely the risk is the same as getting jabbed with an infected needle:ohmy:

I heard something about this on the radio a while back. They think it's possible, but have no confirmed instances.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

Oooh, crazy SA scare stories would make a great thread of its own in the run-up to the next WC.

Don't bother packing the sun screen - look at today's weather forecast for Joburg - 9 degrees brrrrrrr.....

And don't worry about the crime - there hasn't been a single incident during the current Lions tour..................although thinking about it they are beefy rugby chaps and the footy fans are little weeds by comparison...........on second thoughts - run for the hills :p

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I've Never met A Nice South African - sung by Spitting Image

I've travelled this old world of ours from Barnsley to Peru
I've had sunshine in the arctic and a swim in Tinbuktu
I've seen unicorns in Burma and a Yetti in Nepal
And I've danced with ten foot pygmies in a Montezuma hall
I've met the King of China and a working Yorkshire miner
But I've never met a nice South African.

No he's never met a nice South African
And that's not bloody surprising man
'Cause we're a bunch of arrogant b***tards
Who hate black people

I once got served in Woolies aften less than four week's wait
I had lunch with Rowan Atkinson when he paid and wasn't late
I know a public swimming bath where they don't piss in the pool
I know a guy who got a job straight after leaving school
I've met a normal merman and a fairly modest German

'Cause we're a bunch of talentless murderers
Who smell like baboons

I've had a close encounter of the twenty-second kind
That's when an alien spaceship disappears up your behind
I got directory enquiries after less than forty rings
I've even heard a decent song by Paul McCartney's Wings
I've seen a flying pig in a quite convincing wig

'Cause we're a bunch of ignorant loudmouths
With no sense of humour - ha ha

I've met the Loch Ness monster and he looks like Fred Astaire
At the BBC in London he's the chief commissionaire
I know a place in Glasgow which is rife with daffodillies
I met a man in Katmandu who claimed to have two willies
I've had a nice pot noodle but I've never had a poodle
And I've never met a nice South African.

Because we've never met one either
Except for Breyten Breytenbach and he's emigrated to Paris. (farts)

Yes he's quite a nice South African
And he's hardly ever killed anyone
And he's not smelly at all.
That's why they put him prison.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Pretty sure they robbed that song from Micro Disney!!!

Spent a few days in Cape Town back in March, love the place, and will definitely be going back again but not when the worlds footballists are in town.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here