Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who's going to Sith Ifrica next year ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, the opening game to the World Cup is exactly 1 year away today, when the tournament will kick off in Soweto, Johannesburg.

Murder rates last year over there was 38.6 per 100,000 people, almost the highest in the world (the UK's murder rate is around 1.4 per 100,000). Here's an interesting graph showing the most popular crimes over there.

_45899005_south_africa_crime_466gr.gif

Robbery is a firm favourite of course with a real resurgence in figures since the slump of 97/98, and rape has always performed consistantly well over the years. I can see car jackings making BIG steps next year during the World Cup though, to the point where it may even surpass murder as the 3rd most popular crime in South Africa, although we can expect to see a healthy boost in crimerates across the board, with hundreds of thousands of football fans visiting the country for the first time.

Watch you backs folks, and keep your watch in your pocket. :thumbsup:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Now I could be mistaken but I think the crime is in the BLACK areas. The WHITE areas are ok :jester:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
more importantly, what is the conviction rate like? going away is all about partaking in another nations cultures, and in order to do so in south africa, surely you have to committ some sort of CRIME to fully appreciate what it is to be south african

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
gert a maaaate who na liveees jaaaabuuurrrg, saaa maaay gooo theeere errnd staaay with hiiim.

crrrime, nah kaffa, nurt fuuusseed maaate.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
i no a few bha lads going,they have a base sorted already,bit to far for moi

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
more importantly, what is the conviction rate like? going away is all about partaking in another nations cultures, and in order to do so in south africa, surely you have to committ some sort of CRIME to fully appreciate what it is to be south african

I'd avoid rape if I were you, being as its probably the HIV capital of the world (or if you do intend committing rape, at least try to make sure its a tourist).
CARJACKING sounds quite exciting though doesn't it ? I'd have me a go at some of that I think.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Now I could be mistaken but I think the crime is in the BLACK areas. The WHITE areas are ok :jester:

If you go to South Africa believing that, you have a good chance of becoming one of the crime statistics.

Crime is worse in the townships, but there are a lot of hikackings and robberies in the affluent areas. And you can get killed for a mobile phone. Different cities have different dangers. The best way to know how safe an area is is to look at the houses. If they are surrounded by high walls with electric fencing and burglar bars - don't wander around after dark, be vigilant when driving. Also if you see a highjacking hotspot sign, do what it says and don't stop! These signs appear on the freeways so you can't avoid them if you are travelling between cities.

In general - J'oburg, Pretoria and Durban aren't safe. The Cape is.

Like anywhere, take advice from the locals - I've been about six times and have never had any problems. It's a great country to visit and the people are very hospitable. But there are a number of serious criminals - and they will see an influx of tourists as a feeding ground - just like the lions would in the Kruger!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I will be going.

Went a few years back on Englands first cricket tour after the lifting of the boycott. Our rooms got robbed the first night in Cape Town, we were moved to a different place nearer the centre and no problems there apart from the brothel operating on the ground floor and the massive rats in the atrium!

Apart from that we had a fantastic 2 weeks, one week in Port Elizabth the second in Cape Town.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here