Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So whos contracts should we NOT renew at the end of the season?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Barnes remains our leading scorer and, after the many fiascos last season, the one player I would always trust with a penalty no matter how much pressure. Current market value? Certainly somewhere north of £500K and if he continues to develop his game at the rate he has so far he will be a million pound player. Compensation if he left would be based on age but wouldn't be near to his current transfer value in the open market let alone his potential future value. We need him signed up!
Simple question. If he's worth 500k, why do you not think he has not been offered a new contract yet.

Brilliant penatly taker, I'll grant you that, but alone doesn't warrent a contract. I do recall we had a number of excellent penatly takers in the wrexham shootout. Because it was a mess last season, doesn't mean it will be this year. CMS would have been on penatlies and therefore our leading scorer by a mile, if he wasn't with Scotland when we got our first one against Gillingham. I do agree with Gus', "let them take them until they miss attiude", but if Barnes was this 500k - 1million player some are laughabliy quoting on here, then why no contract?? Especially after we let Murray slip away?

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
why is everyone so keen to ship out navarro? hes been one of my favourite players since hes been back. was awesome against palace, thought he had a really good game this weekend too!

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
To be honest it really depends on how much they want for wages, and if they are value for money. Some you may sign up for 1K per week, but not 3K.

There is one I would move on, regardless of salary, but it's not constructive to name him here ( but it's certainly NOT Vicente !! ).

Last edited:

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Yes, because your opinion holds so much weight, it would bring the club down from the inside, if you was to name him.:facepalm:

Hardly !! The point I made was a general one though, and although I've gone on record before about my assessment of him, I'm not going to repeat it in such an obvious thread. I don't rate the guy, but not going to stick the knife in here.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
So you would keep 4 reserve goalkeepers, but release the current number one...... interesting

Current number 1 is Brez - he would be staying and releasing him would be foolish. With the ones i said, not saying their crap, but some deserve regular football but they cant fit into the First Team.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Current number 1 is Brez - he would be staying and releasing him would be foolish. With the ones i said, not saying their crap, but some deserve regular football but they cant fit into the First Team.
Sorry, had a brain freeze there.:mad:
Completely agree, Keep Brez, release the rest :thumbsup:

Jan 18, 2012
for anyone to suggest barnes shouldnt or wont get a new contract is ridiculous. people who slag him off game after game are clueless and showcase their laughable lack of knowledge of the game. and he hasnt received a contract yet because he's quite busy playing football. gus has stated in the past that he wouldnt deal with contracts until the season up and it makes sense. why disrupt the team's/player's/manager's focus to sort out someones contract. bigger clubs wont poach him as hes not the headline maker and he is very comitted to the club anyway.

and why are would we give brezovan a 3 year deal like is being suggested? apart from recent matches, he has been absolutely shite for us. despite this recent run of decent form, i still feel he is moments from disaster. if he keeps up this form, a one year extension would have been earned. The goalkeeping position is probably still our weakest link. we are desperate for a quality new keeper in the summer, something we really need to improve as a team. in casper and brez we have 2 very vulnerable keepers, one of them will go in the summer at least.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
for anyone to suggest barnes shouldnt or wont get a new contract is ridiculous. people who slag him off game after game are clueless and showcase their laughable lack of knowledge of the game. and he hasnt received a contract yet because he's quite busy playing football. gus has stated in the past that he wouldnt deal with contracts until the season up and it makes sense. why disrupt the team's/player's/manager's focus to sort out someones contract. bigger clubs wont poach him as hes not the headline maker and he is very comitted to the club anyway.

and why are would we give brezovan a 3 year deal like is being suggested? apart from recent matches, he has been absolutely shite for us. despite this recent run of decent form, i still feel he is moments from disaster. if he keeps up this form, a one year extension would have been earned. The goalkeeping position is probably still our weakest link. we are desperate for a quality new keeper in the summer, something we really need to improve as a team. in casper and brez we have 2 very vulnerable keepers, one of them will go in the summer at least.

Agree with the first part, but you are saying you'd not give Brezovan because you 'think' hes moments from a disaster? This is a keeper, who conceeded 3 goals from open play, in the 8 matches he has played since Ankergren was dropped. Wow.. lets judge him on form, rather than past performances.

Elphick won't be offered anything, but he has been told he is expected to be training with the club from now until the start of 2012/2013 season, with no break, so suspect he will maybe be offered a 6 month extension or similar. Can't comment on DS squad, as no-one on here really knows too much about their performances.

Barnes is the one we should be targetting early for a renewal

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

How on earth can you say that Brezovan has been absolutely shite for us? I'm not talking about his recent run but when he first came to us 2 years ago, we were in the relegation zone and ended up comfortably out of danger at 13th place or mid table. He then broke his hand, and had to sit on the sidelines apart from an FA cup run which took us to Stoke in the 5th round, beating 2 Championship clubs on the way. He made a mistake against Spurs in a pre-season friendly but that doesn't constitute being absolutely shite. He was poor against Stoke but so was the whole back four who gave him no protection at all and other teams in the Premiership have had similar results playing them.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Gus building a squad, he will be making the decisions, reckon we have a brilliant squad at present lets hope we can keep a lot of these players out of contract. Too early yet, lets see how far this squad can take us.

In Gus we trust.

Oh and DA da ALAN NAVARRO....

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I've heard very positive things about East.

He played really well against Bognor in very difficult conditions, if you have seagulls player its on the highlights.

Attachments

• East save.jpg
    East save.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 144

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Seen on another thread (a old one) about players contract which finish at the end of the season, so whos would you extend and who would you let go?

First team

Gonzalez - ?
Casper - release
Poke - release
Brez - release
Painter - release
Elphick - 1yr
Navarro -release
Vicente - 1yr dependent on fitness
Barnes - 1yr

Development & youth

Walker
Sampayo
Hall
Strong
Branco
Redwood
Kasim
Rodgers
Simmonds
Barker
Adgestein
cumming-bart
vickers
Goodwin
Tuck
East

Can't comment on Youth squad as i haven't seen enough of them

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Casper has had his day
Harley not up to this standard
Vicente sick note can go,or maybe pay as you play contract
Of course thats saying we stay in the Champioship,if we went up,there are a few more who wont make premier league class ever.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Barnes would never sign a 1 year contract, complete mental talk.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I think you cant go far wrong in this sort of thing by looking at what Bensgrandad, Mr Burns and The Complete Badger suggest and doing the complete opposite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here