Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So what to do about Jakey then?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Reserves? Non-league? Bench? Automatic start?

Just seems to me that because McGhee appears to have a blind spot about Jakey's abilities then we're in danger of sleep-walking into a situation whereby somebody comes along and takes the greatest natural talent the Albion has produced for many years off our hands for a promise of first-team football. Because you can bet your life Jake's performances are being noticed elsewhere. The club is particularly vulnerable to any cah-up-front offer at the present time and it would be a crying shame if he was let go for peanuts simply because the current manager doesn't appear to appreciate what a good player he has available at his disposal. New contract with huge sell-on clause?

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
We need to play him from the start, the team is crying out for someone like him who can keep the pace up and run at defenders, rather than running away from them (see last week).

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
def should start against shrewsbury.

Got no problem with him coming off the bench in league games providing he gets more than 6 minutes :angry:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
bhaexpress said:
Should start against Shrewsbury surely ?

Agree, he should certainly starts against the shrews, and stop calling me Shirley.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Tom Hark said:
Reserves? Non-league? Bench? Automatic start?

Just seems to me that because McGhee appears to have a blind spot about Jakey's abilities then we're in danger of sleep-walking into a situation whereby somebody comes along and takes the greatest natural talent the Albion has produced for many years off our hands for a promise of first-team football. Because you can bet your life Jake's performances are being noticed elsewhere. The club is particularly vulnerable to any cah-up-front offer at the present time and it would be a crying shame if he was let go for peanuts simply because the current manager doesn't appear to appreciate what a good player he has available at his disposal. New contract with huge sell-on clause?

Who ever said MM had a blind spot for Jakey? I've never heard anything negative from MM about the boy, surely it's just that he just doesn't think he's quite ready for the physicality of Championship football ... yet?

Maybe I've missed something, but my perception is that MM has always suggested the Jake has the talent and will get his opportunity ...

I hope that by the time he get's his chance he isn't too weighed down by the expectations of some fans who seem to think he is some kind of footballing messiah.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think MM keeps banging on about his size when it comes to tracking back and having to mark the opposition at set pieces etc.

I think this is code for "we are not the biggest side in the championship" . Other managers have also commented on our lack of height, notably Coppell.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
I think MM keeps banging on about his size when it comes to tracking back and having to mark the opposition at set pieces etc.

I think this is code for "we are not the biggest side in the championship" . Other managers have also commented on our lack of height, notably Coppell.

Agreed. I believe what MM is saying is that as an attacking force Jake is second to none but he needs to improve his alround game and in particular the defending aspect to fit into the team formation. Remember we are one of the weaker teams in the division and will spend a fair amount of games defending. For the moment Jake will be a sub and the sort of player to ad extra flair late on to push a tired defence. I'm sure he'll get more chances as he gaiins experience and improves his alround game

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
As MM quite rightly pointed out on SCR on Saturday, if we trust him to get the other aspects of the team right, then we need to trust him over Jakey.

Sounds like he had a sensational game at Woking last night, and if he keeps doing that, then he will get his chance.

The difference is, when he does get his chance he has to take it.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Keep him on the bench for the time being.

I would like to see him get more than 15 mins though.

Should definitely start against Shrewsbury.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:

Interesting that some of the players we trialed in pre-season Jack GK (6'5), Berthe CB (6'4), Ashby CB (6'2), the other lad from Dundee CB (6'2) and Fish CB (6'4), were all pretty big - he was obviously trying to get some height in the side with Virgs and Harding leaving who were both over 6'

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I think MM views Jake as a key member of the squad, and he'll definitely play him. He's made some very positive comments about him (called him 'outstanding' after a hat-trick earlier this month). I expect Jake will get his chance when injuries and suspensions start to kick-in, but until then he'll probably have to settle for a place on the bench - as I can't see him displacing either CKR or Leon.

However, it's entirely up to him what happens when his chance comes. If he plays a blinder then he could become equally difficult to displace. In the meantime he's got to make sure he keeps his place on the bench.

larus

Does anyone know how Jake feels about the situation?

He may accept that he's still learning, and be 'content' at this point in time.

I hope that all of the expectation doesn't prove too big for him when he does get a start in a championship match.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
larus said:

Yes. I know somebody who knows his dad quite well.

He was very patient initially in the Coppell days, but this has changed and his dad says he is becoming a frustrated as he feels he has done all he can to prove a point.

Lets face it, why on earth do we want to leave a highly talented young forward out because he can't defend? That just defies logic.

Look at Defoe for Spurs, small in stature - big on ability. I beleive Robinson is in the same mould and should now get a run in the team.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Stay on the bench, give him a start in the cup. Last night was only against woking not exactly championship quality are they. If we going on last night then mccammon should get a game he scored as well

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
larus said:

He may accept that he's still learning, and be 'content' at this point in time.

I hope that all of the expectation doesn't prove too big for him when he does get a start in a championship match.

I think this is going to be the problem, its a different thing altogether to start the game then come on for the last 10 minutes when the defence is tired.

Unless another club show some interest I don't think Jake will mind as long as he is on the bench.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
GUNTER said:
Yes. I know somebody who knows his dad quite well.

He was very patient initially in the Coppell days, but this has changed and his dad says he is becoming a frustrated as he feels he has done all he can to prove a point.

Lets face it, why on earth do we want to leave a highly talented young forward out because he can't defend? That just defies logic.

Quite. What exactly ARE these mythical other aspects of his all-round game that he's supposed to have to work on? He's not 15 any more, and he's just being wasted being sat on the bench for 80 minutes. Same as BZ was at Spurs. The club will lose Jakey if they're not careful.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Seagullible said:
Agreed. I believe what MM is saying is that as an attacking force Jake is second to none but he needs to improve his alround game and in particular the defending aspect to fit into the team formation. Remember we are one of the weaker teams in the division and will spend a fair amount of games defending. For the moment Jake will be a sub and the sort of player to ad extra flair late on to push a tired defence. I'm sure he'll get more chances as he gaiins experience and improves his alround game

indeed ,. but isnt attack the best form of defence all the time u have someone with pace he will cause trouble ..and give defence a breather

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Jake will get there in the not too distant future, but his physique is still very much that of a 16 year old. He looks very very young.

Trust Mark Mcghee, the season is 3 games old and before the season is done Jake will have had a good crack at 1st team footy Im sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here