Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So what happened between the 8th May and 10th June...

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
This was a game plan all along, the scenario played out to advise agents & their players that we play hardball when it comes to contracts so don't f*** about. I posted this theory previously & a couple did agree it was plausible.
Inigo was always going to sign.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Gus had pulled the clever stunt of having his name changed to Bill Archer, bought him a season ticket and threatened to stick him in H block next season (guess he'd need some plastic surgery also) ... this isn't it, is it?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
This was a game plan all along, the scenario played out to advise agents & their players that we play hardball when it comes to contracts so don't f*** about. I posted this theory previously & a couple did agree it was plausible.
Inigo was always going to sign.
No doubt Lord Gus of Brighton will tell us why when he returns from holday, but I think Poyet and Bloom took a gambe on this from the offset for the reasons you mentioned.

What I love about this, is that clearly neither the manager or chairman is here to massage their egos. Where as Dick Knight would tell all, to anyone who would listen to him, these two seem to be no nonsense businessman, who will do whats needed to succeed:falmer:

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
Gus left for his holiday with a broken heart. He had lost the one player he truly believed in... the man who would have brought flair back to brighton but no, he could not go back on his word. he was a man of HONOUR (slaps breast!)... the dream was dead.

As soon as he left, Bloom phoned up Inigo and said 'I hear you think yourself a bit of a poker player. Inigo fell for the bait and at the top of the evening, with Inigo holding a royal flush.... Bloom made the following proposal 'I tell you what Inigo mate, how about if I win this hand, you sign for three years at your original salary. If you win the hand, off you pop to the saints and you can a four weeks hols on my luxury cruiser.'

Inigo should have known to bet his sould with the devil... especially one with four aces.

So Gus's dream is alive and his honour is intact. :)

Although a royal flush beats four aces...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Maybe, given that he has only just started jogging, Southampton were not prepared to put a deal on the table, until he'd proven his fitness. Caldy got cold feet waiting and scampered back onto the Gus Bus pronto...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Maybe, given that he has only just started jogging, Southampton were not prepared to put a deal on the table, until he'd proven his fitness. Caldy got cold feet waiting and scampered back onto the Gus Bus pronto...
This sounds plausible.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
SAINTS have missed out on signing right back Inigo Calderon.

In a surprise U-turn, the Spaniard has put pen to paper on a new three-year deal at The Withdean after turning down a more lucrative offer from Saints.

Last month, Seagulls boss Gus Poyet had said the player had no future at Brighton after turning down a new contract offer amid interest from Alan Pardew.

Calderon today said: "I think it would have been two years with Southampton. We were still sorting out the terms.

“The money they were offering was better than Brighton. Of course, that is important, but my feelings were for Brighton."

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
To be honest, I couldn't give a flying frig what happened.

We have signed a brilliant full-back for this division and that's all that matters :clap:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
While he was away scouting, Gus met up with a South American gangland cartel, gave them a knowing nod, and passed them Calderons name. One crackly late-night phone call later, and Calderon was beating down the portacabin door at Withdean DESPERATE to sign a contract, ANY contract, "just calla da fackers offa me, PLEASE Gusman".

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
While he was away scouting, Gus met up with a South American gangland cartel, gave them a knowing nod, and passed them Calderons name. One crackly late-night phone call later, and Calderon was beating down the portacabin door at Withdean DESPERATE to sign a contract, ANY contract, "just calla da fackers offa me, PLEASE Gusman".

Quite clearly the right answer.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
He realised spending his Saturday's hoofing the ball ninety yards at a fat scouse lad in the middle of an industrial estate was no way for a sexy rightback to make his money.

Spot. On.

Brighton is the HOME of sexy people and sexy football.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
He found out Gus was not going to sign a new contract, and was willing to come back to Albion with any other manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here