Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

so the council are are thinking on flying the rainbow flag during pride week

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well, I don't know about this country but in the US, Macy's (World famous New York Department Store similar to Harrods) has banned the word 'Christmas' and now restrict celebrations to 'Happy Holidays'. I've also heard that Birmingham Council and Huddersfield have effectively eradicated the word 'Christmas'. That's based on what I've seen on other sites I might add.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
bhaexpress said:
Well, I don't know about this country but in the US, Macy's (World famous New York Department Store similar to Harrods) has banned the word 'Christmas' and now restrict celebrations to 'Happy Holidays'. I've also heard that Birmingham Council and Huddersfield have effectively eradicated the word 'Christmas'. That's based on what I've seen on other sites I might add.

Yeah, I was referring to the UK. I'm aware of the propensity of the US to say 'holidays' - bizarre.

But as to the claim that Birmingham council has banned 'Christmas'. A quick glance at www.birmingham.gov.uk will reveal that not only has the word NOT been eradicated, it's one of the most prominent words on the council's website (Kirklees' site's down, so I couldn't check that).

That's exactly what I mean. You'd 'heard' that the council had banned Christmas and so you present it as a 'fact' regardless of whether it's true or not.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Like I say, I read that on another web site. Still, what is beyond refute is that more than a few schools have banned 'Christmas'.

One thing that does puzzle me though. If we can have separate Catholic and Non Catholic schools why can't we have the same for Hindus, Moslems and Sikhs ? One of the few good things about the US education system as that ALL religious teaching is now banned (as is the theory of evolution in 13 states though).

Can't see the justification in separate schools within the Christian religion yet no allowance for ethnic minorities. In more than a few towns such as Oldham for example, the ethnic population isn't the minorirty anyway.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
bhaexpress said:
Like I say, I read that on another web site. Still, what is beyond refute is that more than a few schools have banned 'Christmas'.

Exactly bha, for it's todays children who are tomorows councilors

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
bhaexpress said:

One thing that does puzzle me though. If we can have separate Catholic and Non Catholic schools why can't we have the same for Hindus, Moslems and Sikhs ? One of the few good things about the US education system as that ALL religious teaching is now banned (as is the theory of evolution in 13 states though).

Can't see the justification in separate schools within the Christian religion yet no allowance for ethnic minorities. In more than a few towns such as Oldham for example, the ethnic population isn't the minorirty anyway.

There are separate Muslim schools (there's one up the road from me) and separate Jewish ones. Don't know about Hindus or Sikhs - maybe in Leicester or Southall.

I agree with the US (and most of Europe), religion has no part to play in education. Has the theory of evolution been banned in 13 states? I thought it was that creationism had to given equal footing to the theory of evolution. As I recall (and I can't be arsed to look it up), it's just Kansas who have banned evolution.

I'm not sure that the ethnic population of Oldham is the majority (although it must be close). I don't think that's happened in any town yet - although it probably will in the next few years.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sorry, having been engaged to a bible basher last year I can asure you that 13 states don't allow the theory of evolution, ridiculous I know.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
bhaexpress said:
Sorry, having been engaged to a bible basher last year I can asure you that 13 states don't allow the theory of evolution, ridiculous I know.

I've just had a scout around the Internet and as far as I can find out, no state bans the teaching of evolution. As I suspected, such bans would fall foul of the First Amendment (the Supreme Court ruled on this 1968 and endorsed it again in 1987, following an appeal).

Plenty of states have given creationism and evolution equal status and some have put disclaimers on evolution saying the theory is not proven. But no actual bans.

I think your ex-fiancee might have been indulging in wishful thinking.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Some of the stories are undoubtedly false Gwylan, unfortunately these people have 'form'. One that is definitely true was children in Kent who were prevented from blacking up their faces to pretend to be Victorian child sweeps. Some warped mind thought that this was somehow offensive to black people! You can see the twisted logic: white people used to put on make-up to pretend to be black (Black and White Minstrels) this was offensive, therefore anyone wearing black makeup is being offensive.

Going back a few years there was a definite attempt to remove the word 'black' from the language. I never believed the stories of children having to sing "Baa baa green sheep", although several people swear to me it was true; likewise the people who thought words like blackboard and black coffee were offensive (it should be apparently chalkboard and coffee without milk).

These people have their hearts in the right place but as I said in my original post - they are apparently well-meaning but actually deeply cretinous people.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry, that refers to your post on Page 2 (hot cross buns etc) - I didn't realise the debate had moved on!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Gwylan said:

I think your ex-fiancee might have been indulging in wishful thinking.

Quite possibly, I bow to your superior information. I must confess that as 'Good Christians' go, my ex was a world class hypocrit and was full of shit so I believe you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here