Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

so the council are are thinking on flying the rainbow flag during pride week

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
My neighbour is a devout Muslim and gave us a bottle of wine for Christmas.

Try telling that to the Council. (I think it is just an excuse for pathetic decorations)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I worked in Southall for a couple of years. Out of all the people from the Indian sub-continent that I met not a single one of them objected to the celebration of Christmas. However it only takes one twisted little bigot (and as bhaexpress said racisim isn't a one-way street) to say they object and an apparently well-meaning, but actually deeply cretinous, procedure will go into effect to try and make sure nothing gives offence.

I used to abhor nationalism in all its forms but over the last few years I've become a born-again English patriot. Get off your knees England and celebrate your culture!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
This whole PC thing does my head in. It's about time that the ****s responsible are hauled before the courts for being unpatriotic & total slices. If I was told to take the Cross of St George down, I'd take whoever was responsible to court for being anti-English.
At least Shoreham has big "Happy Christmas" lights up in the High Street.

Dandyman

In London village.
It's these bloody Christers flooding in from the Middle East and those Roman bastards trying to destroy our traditional Saturnalia celebrations that get me. :D

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
Tradition is something to be proud of.............
I am proud to be English and proud of the St Georges cross on my flag.
Bollocks to any foreigner that finds it offensive..............If I went to their country I would respect their traditions........so surely its only fair to expect them to do the same.
Now bloody rainbow flags is something else, I have no problem with gay people..........good on em .............live and let live..............but can you imagine the uproar if we had a hetrosexual parade.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
What makes me laugh (ironically admittedly) is that like several other posters here I've never met anybody from an ethnic minority who could give a toss one way or another about how Christian Festivals are celebrated.

It's my personal contention that the vast majority of these crackpot notions come from 'Right on, Politically Correct, Left Wingers' who imagine and are arrogant enough to believe they're right, white people.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Locky said:
Tradition is something to be proud of.............
I am proud to be English and proud of the St Georges cross on my flag.
Bollocks to any foreigner that finds it offensive..............If I went to their country I would respect their traditions........so surely its only fair to expect them to do the same.
Now bloody rainbow flags is something else, I have no problem with gay people..........good on em .............live and let live..............but can you imagine the uproar if we had a hetrosexual parade.

Indeed.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Locky said:
If I went to their country I would respect their traditions

I think you may well be in the minority there Locky. Too many of us Brits go abroad without an understanding of the different culture and way of life of the people who live there.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
That's probably true in somwhere like Spain or Greece but if you start pulling stunts ina Moslem country (like having a drink) you tend to wind up in deep manure.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
St Georges flag is hung in my window as we speak. It tends to go up on such occasions as important sporting events, jubilee type occasions etc. Anyone who tells me to take it down will be issued with a slap.

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
80's Seagull said:
St Georges flag is hung in my window as we speak. It tends to go up on such occasions as important sporting events, jubilee type occasions etc. Anyone who tells me to take it down will be issued with a slap.

Good for you mate !! :clap2:

Chappers: nice to meet you last saturday, even if it was only briefly.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Actually the council don't have the right to tell you to take your flag down. If it is permanently fixed, you need planning permission for it. If not, it is the same as - say, your curtains - nothing to do with the council. It is certainly an issue that has nothing to do with the planning department.

As for the person asking you to take it down, she doesn't have the right to do that either. They would had to have had complaints from other people before asking. In order for them to make you take it down, they would have to go through the courts.

As for the 'offence' caused, was she speaking on behalf of the council, or just herself? If it was on behalf of the council, ask them for their policy on the display of St George's flags. If it was her own stance, she even less right to tell you to take it down. It's a clear abuse of power.

The only way for them to ask you to take it down is if it had threatening or abusive connotations. e.g. a swastika, a message of hatred or threatening language.

My advice is put the flag back up, and then if someone else complains to the council, ask to see the letters of complaint. Once you have done that, they are OBLIGED to show you the letters. You may want to take the matter up in a civil manner with the person concerned, in which case, you may be able to reach a happy compromise. It's up to you, but remember, it's a temporary fitting, not a permanent one, and this woman went beyond her powers.

Personally, if you do put the flag back up, I actually don't think that you will hear from her again. As a point of interest, where in the city was this 'offending' article?

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Locky said:
Good for you mate !! :clap2:

Chappers: nice to meet you last saturday, even if it was only briefly.

And you mate, what were you doing with that blu tack at h/t though?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
much as i hate pc-ism its prevalence is massively overblown by certain people for their own ends. as many posters have said here, whose ever met anyone whose been offended by christmas? the only person i can think of was some monk guy who was striding up and down guildford high street berating people on christmas eve for their materialistic ways:lolol:

i'm amazed you were told to take your flag down. plenty of my mates had em up during wc/euro champs, and i remember them all over brighton. and barnet is absolutely right. the british abroad have a shameful reputation for ignoring/offending local cultures, so we shouldn't get too righteous eh?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
my main gripe is the fact that the RED CROSS chariteeee shops will not put up deciorations or nativity scenes as they arte afraid they will upset non-christians. really....why call yourself the RED CROSS then you muppetts.

The RED CRESCENT is the equivalent in the Arabic/muslem world and if nothing was done to celebrate Ramadan by them, I am sure heads would roll...literally.

This country pisses me off sometimes.

Oh and by the way....HANG THAT BASTARD HUNTLEY AND THAT WITCH CARR>

rool

Jul 10, 2003
seriously, all this overly pc stuff does more harm to race relations than good. As Bhaexpress says, time would be better spent getting every one to celebrate their own festivals and include all in the festivities to overcome ignorance. Not allowing nativity and banning hot cross buns, as some schools did at easter, will just make patriotic english people resent other groups of people.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
munster monch said:
seriously, all this overly pc stuff does more harm to race relations than good. As Bhaexpress says, time would be better spent getting every one to celebrate their own festivals and include all in the festivities to overcome ignorance. Not allowing nativity and banning hot cross buns, as some schools did at easter, will just make patriotic english people resent other groups of people.

I am a bit suspicious of these "Christmas is banned" sentiments. Do people actually know of councils that have banned Christmas? For example, the claim that hot cross buns had been banned in Liverpool schools was completely fictional, made up by the Telegraph when they were bored one afternoon. Unfortunately, it got halfway round the world before the lie could be nailed

The claim that the Red Cross banned nativity scenes is a bit spurious as well; as I remember it, one shop did it, but the Red Cross claimed it wasn't official policy.

While I could well believe that some schools have been over-sensitive about nativity scenes, and have looked for alternatives. I certainly don't think it's as widespread as people make it about to be.

Often people jump at any chance to slag off 'political correctness' without thinking whether it's true or not. Tabloids (and broadsheets too) have been prone to disseminating misinformation. It might be worth bearing in mind that all might not be what it seems.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Gwylan said:
I am a bit suspicious of these "Christmas is banned" sentiments
While I could well believe that some schools have been over-sensitive about nativity scenes, and have looked for alternatives. I certainly don't think it's as widespread as people make it about to be.

Often people jump at any chance to slag off 'political correctness' without thinking whether it's true or not. Tabloids (and broadsheets too) have been prone to disseminating misinformation. It might be worth bearing in mind that all might not be what it seems.
My problem is I couldnt give a flying truck wot the red cross do, it's messing with our childrens minds, have u got kids at school?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here