Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So no iphone 5, what are currently the leading android alternatives?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It's a matter of opinion. It's not difficult to argue that the iPhone 4S...

- Is the fastest
- Has the best screen
- Has the best camera
- Has the best battery life
- Has the best OS
- Has the best range of apps

Android fanboys would argue the same on most points.

The fact is the modern range of Smartphones are all very decent devices that are unlikely to disappoint on most levels. Battery life remains a bugbear for many, although I think it is fair to say that the iPhone does better in this as most users do not need to worry about turning things off and/or running 'battery optimisation' apps to try and keep their phone running for a whole day.

I am by no means an android fanboy, I have an iPad and an iMac, I used to have an iPhone.
but on those points:
-processor: 4S catches up with current dual core android phones, with the same A5 as the iPad correct? but it matches, not exceeds current alternative devices.
-camera: I agree the iPhone produces far better quality photos, regardless of pixel count, as it has a far better sensor than most. my htc photos really can be crap even in good light, something that android manufacturers need to think more about.
-battery: although better than most, it still stands by the smartphone mantra of "one day only"
-OS: iOS and android are pretty much on an even keel here, if you like simplicity, ease of use etc, iOS is better, if you like making the most of the device, customising thing etc. android is better.
-apps: some of the apps on android are utter garbage, but the same can be said about the app store but I think there are a higher number of quality apps on iOS than on android.

but you cannot argue that the iPhone 4S is anything other than a pure 'catch up' device. the iPhone used to be years ahead but now apple are being slow, less innovative, no real new features. most new features come with the software update, not the hardware. I think that is where they are lacking. they need to bring out another 'killer' device.

edit: forgot the screen, although the pixel density is higher, it is still relatively small compared to some of the 4"+ phones around now. the sensation has the same resolution as the retina display but it is 4.3" and you have a lot more room to work.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ha ha! Have you not seen Samsung's sexy AMOLED screen on their Galaxy S range?

Also, replace, BEST, with, PRICIEST.

Android's entire app market = 60% are free. Apple's app market = 20% are free. Angry birds is free for Android, 59p for the Apple user.

Hey, it's only a few pennies, but soon adds up.
This. You get more for less with Android, so if you're not wedded to Apple, Andoid is probably the better choice. Unfortunately, the Android tablets don't have the apps I need (for work) so I had to go with an iPad, which means I might as well have an iPhone rather than Android phone.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have a HTC Desire for making phone calls, emailing, texting and basic app functions ie catching up when in the train queue after a game.

I have a ipod touch for playing (apps) games none of which need wi-fi until updates are done and I can watch skygo on it whilst on wi fi as well as the ipod functions.

I have a proper camera for taking proper photos and use my desire for snaps, quality is pretty good for my needs.

And all this costs me £23 a month.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Android's entire app market = 60% are free. Apple's app market = 20% are free. Angry birds is free for Android, 59p for the Apple user.

Hey, it's only a few pennies, but soon adds up.

With the apps, aren't Apples supposed to be safer as they check all their apps before they are available whereas anyone can make an andriod app so there are some dodgy ones around

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I keep all of my music in ITunes on my PC.

If I bought an Android phone to replace my current Iphone would that work, or be compatible ?

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
I have a HTC Mozart which is a Windows phone. It took me a while to get used to it but I do like it now. Main issue is the app store where most games are over £2. Have an upgrade in 6 months (18 month contract) and will definitely be moving to an android device, samsung galaxy the most probable unless a new HTC comes out

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What is the name of the first iphone ? as that's what I've got.
What will the 4S give me above this ?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
My 3GS is very nearly past it, but they can still be sold for a few quid, so am hoping to get £100 or so to go towards an upgrade. I really like the look of the new 4S, especially the improved camera and volume that doubles as shoot button. Take lots of pics on my current phone, so will be a big improvement. Only worry is the exorbitant price / tariff that I'll have to sign.

I'm out of contract with O2, now, so am hoping that might give me some bargaining power...

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I keep all of my music in ITunes on my PC. If I bought an Android phone to replace my current Iphone would that work, or be compatible ?

That's a very good question. I'm afraid I don't know the answer either, but I'd love to know!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'm an Apple fan and I do like the iPhone BUT I'd never buy one as long as Android handsets remain so much cheaper. As mentioned already the two best handsets around right now are the Samsung Desire S2 and the HTC Sensation, both of which are comparable to the iPhone 4S in terms of hardware.

Also, having gotten used to Android, I prefer it to the (admittedly simpler) iOS, which doesn't give you as much choice when it comes to setting up the device in the way you want. I love all my useful widgets on my various homescreens and iOS still doesn't offer that sort of functionality. You just get page after page of app shortcuts and I don't think that's that useful anymore.

Right now I can see very little benefit in choosing the latest iPhone over the latest Android devices. Essentially you're paying a premium for the iPhone that is no longer justified because in terms of hardware, features, build quality and software there's no area in which one device excels over the other. So why pay more?

This is in contrast to the desktop and laptop market where Apple devices are better able to justify their premium price tags. Windows is still nowhere near OSX and most Windows-powered machines just aren't built to the same high standard of Macs.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
If you have bought loads of apps on iOS, it probably makes sense to stick around with iOS.

Which is exactly what Apple want you to do. They make all their stuff incompatible with everything else so that once you start with Apple you have to stay with them. The main reason I have never bought an Apple product in my life, and probably never will.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
The best Android phone today will be the second best next week and all but obsolete by Christmas. Enjoy.

Whereas the best iPhone is already obsolete compared to Android the day it is released...

... no, scrap that, this one hasn't even BEEN released yet, just announced, and it's already not as good as an Android.

Yoda

English & European

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Using my new htc sensation, large screen, good resolution, excellent interface, loads free apps slowly catching up
With apple. Like the widgets, only gripe is low battery life have to recharge at end of day, price you pay for high end device I spoke!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Which is exactly what Apple want you to do. They make all their stuff incompatible with everything else so that once you start with Apple you have to stay with them. The main reason I have never bought an Apple product in my life, and probably never will.

However, iOS is a different OS to Android. Of course you won't be able to transfer apps any more than you could transfer apps from android and get them to run on windows phone or webos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here