Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So no iphone 5, what are currently the leading android alternatives?

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
What then happens, in Android-land, is that various manufacturers desperately try to find a way to differentiate their super spangly new phone from the 78 other Android phones with almost the same components and same spec.

So what they do is develop their own shit to stick over the top of the vanilla Android. They try and jazz it up a bit. I'm being a little bit unfair - some of the UI bolt-ons aren't bad at all, but plenty are.

speaks the true Apple fanboi!

If you are unhappy with the 'bloatware' installed by the handset manufacturer and/or carrier,
root/tether your mobile and you can use or design your own rom.Try doing that with an iphone.

And whilst your at it, try changing the battery, oh, sorry you can't do that on an iphone. How
about upping the internal memory - no, you can't do that either, as for viewing websites that
use Adobe Flash, nope, Apple doesn't approve of that.....

All this my friends will only cost you twice that of a smartphone!

Android is now pissing on ios and only people living in the past will tell you otherwise,

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London

This isn't really true though, unless you're being deliberately selective, is it? Taking sim-only prices , the iPhone is pretty much exactly the same price as the Samsung Galaxy S2 - $615 vs "$500-600" in the US. If you believe those that don't see the 4S as an improvement on the 4, then looking at on-contract prices, and the iPhone 4 is cheaper - $99 vs $199 for the Android. [Source: http://popherald.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-vs-iphone-4s-price-comparison/news/2011/10/05] (Note, UK prices not yet released... so had to use the USD prices for now. I think the point still stands)

Sure, the new iPhone is more expensive than the cheapest Android. But compare the newest and most expensive iPhone to the newest and most expensive Android, and then compare the cheapest iPhone (3GS) to the cheapest Android, and you'll see how much of an urban myth the price differential really is.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
speaks the true Apple fanboi!

If you are unhappy with the 'bloatware' installed by the handset manufacturer and/or carrier,
root/tether your mobile and you can use or design your own rom.Try doing that with an iphone.

And whilst your at it, try changing the battery, oh, sorry you can't do that on an iphone. How
about upping the internal memory - no, you can't do that either, as for viewing websites that
use Adobe Flash, nope, Apple doesn't approve of that.....

Android is now pissing on ios and only people living in the past will tell you otherwise,

'a smartphone'....which one? Are you lumping every other smart phone into one basket? Some that run Android are utter rubbish, while others perform brilliantly. As with buying a PC, the success of the software is totally dependent on the quality of the hardware.

To be honest, Apple may well be leading the good fight against Adobe and Flash. Apple doesn't want a single company controlling much of the world's web content, and to be honest, Google are in agreement in that the web should be a platform supported by a multitude of technologies, not just provided by a single company product. By the time HTML 5 comes out, Flash could be a thing of the past anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here