Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So no iphone 5, what are currently the leading android alternatives?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I'm gonna ditch my 3gs soon and will probably just but an iphone 4 when the 4s comes out unless the current android phones really have caught up?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Same here (sort of): iPhone 3Gs on it's last legs...what's the best bet now? Never used any Android devices so I'm a bit in the dark. One of those, or a 4S??

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I would also like some (sage NSC) advice on this. What are the benefits of moving away from iPhone?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the Samsung galaxy S II is considered best phone and the HTC Sensation is a top one. but if you are used to iOS you probably wont like android even if the device is better.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
the Samsung galaxy S II is considered best phone and the HTC Sensation is a top one. but if you are used to iOS you probably wont like android even if the device is better.

That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell. The sensation is a very nice phone actually. I am sticking with my iPhone 4 but if I was in the market for a new phone at this time I would opt for the sensation over the iphone 4s. And thats coming from an Apple addict.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If you have bought loads of apps on iOS, it probably makes sense to stick around with iOS.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell. The sensation is a very nice phone actually. I am sticking with my iPhone 4 but if I was in the market for a new phone at this time I would opt for the sensation over the iphone 4s. And thats coming from an Apple addict.

What is it that you like about the HTC Sensation?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The best Android phone today will be the second best next week and all but obsolete by Christmas. Enjoy.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
What is it that you like about the HTC Sensation?

Yeah I'd be interested to know that too - virtually everyone I speak to thinks the iphone pisses all over the androids hands down so I was gonna upgrade to the iphone 4s which I'm allowed to do on 24th December. Although could upgrade now to the iphone4.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
The best Android phone today will be the second best next week and all but obsolete by Christmas. Enjoy.

To be fair though (and I am an Apple fan), if you can get a Samsung Galaxy thing on a 12 month contract, then that's a massive advantage. The next iPhone might not be out for 6-9 months, but if you've still got another 12-15 before you can upgrade to it....

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How do the latest iphones (4 & 4s) compare to the Galaxy S II and HTC Desire in terms of battery life? That's the main bug-bear I have about moderm high tech phones. My current phone (Sony Ericsson Satio) has terrible battery life (<1 day) unless you don't use it!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To be fair though (and I am an Apple fan), if you can get a Samsung Galaxy thing on a 12 month contract, then that's a massive advantage. The next iPhone might not be out for 6-9 months, but if you've still got another 12-15 before you can upgrade to it....

Not if you buy the phone SIM free. You can then punt it on whenever you like and Apple kit being Apple kit, you'll not have lost much money on the phone in that time.

(Of course, having a spare £500-£700 available to buy the phone outright may be a challenge for some)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think you may find that the iPhone 4S only just catches up with the current android devices.

It's a matter of opinion. It's not difficult to argue that the iPhone 4S...

- Is the fastest
- Has the best screen
- Has the best camera
- Has the best battery life
- Has the best OS
- Has the best range of apps

Android fanboys would argue the same on most points.

The fact is the modern range of Smartphones are all very decent devices that are unlikely to disappoint on most levels. Battery life remains a bugbear for many, although I think it is fair to say that the iPhone does better in this as most users do not need to worry about turning things off and/or running 'battery optimisation' apps to try and keep their phone running for a whole day.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
My wife's recently replaced her i-phone with the latest htc. She loves the new phone and isn't bothered by the switch in os. She did a lot of research before she bought and came to the conclusion, that as much as she liked her i-phone at that moment there were better phones on the market. Not sure how the latest apple phone changes this.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
It's a matter of opinion. It's not difficult to argue that the iPhone 4S...

- Is the fastest
- Has the best screen
- Has the best camera
- Has the best battery life
- Has the best OS
- Has the best range of apps

Android fanboys would argue the same on most points.

The fact is the modern range of Smartphones are all very decent devices that are unlikely to disappoint on most levels. Battery life remains a bugbear for many, although I think it is fair to say that the iPhone does better in this as most users do not need to worry about turning things off and/or running 'battery optimisation' apps to try and keep their phone running for a whole day.

Ha ha! Have you not seen Samsung's sexy AMOLED screen on their Galaxy S range?

Also, replace, BEST, with, PRICIEST.

Android's entire app market = 60% are free. Apple's app market = 20% are free. Angry birds is free for Android, 59p for the Apple user.

Hey, it's only a few pennies, but soon adds up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here