Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So next manager, who's in the running?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
McDermott seems a nice bloke and has a reasonable record but I'm not sure he's what's needed. Had a long conversation on a train with Michael Brown (ex Spurs, Leeds, Sheffield Utd etc). He played under McDermott at Leeds and said he's a lovely guy but senior pros, Brown included, were left to run changing room at Elland Road and that, in general, players saw him as a bit of a soft touch.

I'd go for Hughton. Not because he's the next Guardiola but because he's experienced, been very successful in the Championship and seems to be well regarded in the game. He may not have set the world alight in the Premier League but let's face it, we're a long way from having to worry about his top flight managerial pedigree at the moment. Of the others mentioned, Zola has failed wherever he's been and Hoddle and Curbs have been out of the game for years.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Sol Campbell, with Alan Mullery mentoring

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Too many of suggestions on here are obvious and make sense. So thought should try to get into TB's mindset of managerial appointment.

Basically we need someone who has no experience of Championship football, indeed has either no or limited experience, or managed in a far off country. So why not Vladimir Cherubin who took FC Okzhetpes to the Kazakhstan Premiership last season? He was snapped up by FK Kruoja Pakruojis of Lithuania in February but that should not pose a problem. Not sure about his English, but then we have NJ so he will be at home.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Too many of suggestions on here are obvious and make sense. So thought should try to get into TB's mindset of managerial appointment.

Basically we need someone who has no experience of Championship football, indeed has either no or limited experience, or managed in a far off country. So why not Vladimir Cherubin who took FC Okzhetpes to the Kazakhstan Premiership last season? He was snapped up by FK Kruoja Pakruojis of Lithuania in February but that should not pose a problem. Not sure about his English, but then we have NJ so he will be at home.

Heard the name Terry Butcher muted.
:lolol:

Boom!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Right - some of these suggestions are just idiotic so let me just clarify it for you all.

Hoddle - hasn't managed for more than eight years. And when he did he was disaster at Wolves. Would be a terrible appointment. Don't you think there are reasons why no one has hired him since?

Pulis - would not be interested in managing in this league. And why should he? Proven premiership manager.

Curbishley - has also not managed for several years. He turned down numerous jobs because he said openly he'd only go to manage a top-10 premiership club which he felt his track record had earned him.

Zola - has failed at every club he's managed. Why would you want him?

So that leaves only McDermott and Hughton as serious suggestions of the ones made on here. Of the two, I'd say Hughton is the better bet because he was successful in this division with Newcastle, Birmingham and Norwich. Yes, Norwich fans turned against him when he was struggling in the Prem but that was because he was seen as too cautious and defensive. I bet some of them they wish they'd kept him given where they are now.

Seems to me what we would need now is someone tried and tested in the Championship to bring us organisation, stability and a plan. Not another "hunch" appointment of a big name like Hyypia.

Thanks for writing all that out. Saved me a few minutes.

How about Steve Clarke though?

He's the only name being thrown aroud that appeals to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here