Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So next manager, who's in the running?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
and Bloom wouldn't want him either, too strong a personality and he'd want to go out and buy a new team because very few, if any, fit his specification for a footballer. Favourites for me would be Houghton or McDermott or maybe an up and coming League 1 or 2 manager.

This exactly. Pullis is no dwarf king, he likes to lead an army of giants. There is nothing he could do with the current team and he'd not be given the power or resources to buy a new one so cross him off the list.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Would love to see Oscar back here, but not going to happen so another vote for Steve Clarke. He is a top class coach who was poorly treated by west brom

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
and Bloom wouldn't want him either, too strong a personality and he'd want to go out and buy a new team because very few, if any, fit his specification for a footballer. Favourites for me would be Houghton or McDermott or maybe an up and coming League 1 or 2 manager.

Who is Houghton? If it's Chris Hughton I suggest that you look up some Norwich City fans' comments - don't think they were too impressed with him.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Would be absolutely delighted with:

Pulis (I know, not gonna happen)
Paul Clement (ditto)
Zola
Clarke
Hoddle

Unsure but wouldn't be unhappy with:
Hughton
McDermott (my Reading friends say for all that he did with them, he was often found lacking a Plan B)
Pearson
Hantz

But knowing Bloom it'll probably be someone like Marcel Desailly or Dennis Bergkamp.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bloom should move heaven and earth to get Glenn Hoddle. Unfortunately Hoddle knows his own mind and would want control, not sure Bloom can handle that kind of manager again, so Brian McDermott it is then.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Would love Hoddle but unless the barber/Burke axis of evil is broken up it will be another inexperienced manager looking to prove himself for whom the total lack of control is a price worth paying.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Not sure he'd be up for it but it would have the bonus of upsetting that lot up the road.

I don't think you'd have a chance of getting him , in saying that he's never been relegated .

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Hoddle or Clarke, Clarke only because whilst he would be as boring as sin at least it would steady the ship.

Please not Houghton.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Right - some of these suggestions are just idiotic so let me just clarify it for you all.

Hoddle - hasn't managed for more than eight years. And when he did he was disaster at Wolves. Would be a terrible appointment. Don't you think there are reasons why no one has hired him since?

Pulis - would not be interested in managing in this league. And why should he? Proven premiership manager.

Curbishley - has also not managed for several years. He turned down numerous jobs because he said openly he'd only go to manage a top-10 premiership club which he felt his track record had earned him.

Zola - has failed at every club he's managed. Why would you want him?

So that leaves only McDermott and Hughton as serious suggestions of the ones made on here. Of the two, I'd say Hughton is the better bet because he was successful in this division with Newcastle, Birmingham and Norwich. Yes, Norwich fans turned against him when he was struggling in the Prem but that was because he was seen as too cautious and defensive. I bet some of them they wish they'd kept him given where they are now.

Seems to me what we would need now is someone tried and tested in the Championship to bring us organisation, stability and a plan. Not another "hunch" appointment of a big name like Hyypia.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sami and Burke out, Hoddle and Hughton in. Hoddle is the perfect Director of Football, Hughton his old teammate a proven coach and manager in this division, they'll be on the same wavelength.

If Bloom wants the club run properly then pay what it takes to get these guys in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here