Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So it all kicks off again ... Lancs v Sussex

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Sussex travel to Lancashire for the County Championship season opener with a 12 man squad, the England world cup boys (Yardy, Prior & Wright) won't feature but Ireland's Ed Joyce is in the 12 man squad, which is as follows...

Sussex 12 man squad to travel to Lancashire...
Ed Joyce
Chris Nash
Ben Brown (w)
Murray Goodwin (c)
Joe Gatting
Luke Wells
Kirk Wernars
Naveed Arif
Rana Naved
Amjad Khan
James Anyon
Monty Panesar

Looks a little light on batting without the England lads but here's hoping :thumbsup:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Batting looks extremely light there. Why no Wright? He only played a couple of games.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Batting looks extremely light there. Why no Wright? He only played a couple of games.
Injured, Maxwell.

Not sure why we haven't added Lou Vincent to the squad, he's only signed to play 1 day cricket but said he would play 4 day if required.

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Wright's injured along with Hatchett.

Thought Hodd should be in there just as a batsmen

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Ben Brown got some decent runs in Dubai. Can't ruddy wait.

Robbo, although I would not expect him to say anything less, is targetting the title.

Some rain forecast on Sunday. I wonder if Lancashire will have it wrapped up by then.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Not sure but Ben Brown is the future, much better in my opinion.

Ok, I will go with your call, but there seems a lot of names on there that have not got a lot of Sussex 4 day county experience under their belt (if you catch my drift). I agree re: the batting line up looking week, if Wells is in the XII one of him or Gatting is definitely playing (if not both, will Monty play in the first week in April on what is most likely to be a green seamer???) Still to paraphrase a fine saying "in Robbo we trust".

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Ok, I will go with your call, but there seems a lot of names on there that have not got a lot of Sussex 4 day county experience under their belt (if you catch my drift). I agree re: the batting line up looking week, if Wells is in the XII one of him or Gatting is definitely playing (if not both, will Monty play in the first week in April on what is most likely to be a green seamer???) Still to paraphrase a fine saying "in Robbo we trust".

Their batting isn't that strong so I'd want my test match spinner bowling to them.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Their batting isn't that strong so I'd want my test match spinner bowling to them.

Yeah maybe, it has been a very dry March and early April, can see it not being as seamer friendly as it usually is this time of year. Waits for a clatter of wickets tomorrow (hopefully Lancashire's)

At least Sussex have got a decent squad. I'm a Warks fan and as soon as Trott and Bell depart we're in the shit. Younis Khan looks like being a no-show as our overseas player due to being recalled by Pakistan, while the rest of our squad is made up of 'all rounders' who aren't quite good enough with either bat or ball (see Darren Maddy, Keith Barker, Ant Botha, Neil Carter, Ricki Clarke). The pace bowling should be competitive (Woakes is class and Rankin and Tahir are okay) but the batting is brittle and the spin bowling pretty much non-existant.

Can you tell I'm looking forward to the new season? :(

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Oh cricket, lovely cricket.

I've really enjoyed the football this season, but I can't wait for the cricket to start again.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's a tough start for Sussex, almost not worth turning up to play the "true champions"

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Vincent is a nice chap, waved the boys goodluck this morning, COME ON SUSSEX!!!

In other news the seats are coming on fast and looking alright

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I was there on Friday and it is looking pretty swish at the County Ground now, the south stand look's a lot, lot better

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here