Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So is everyone on here paying tax ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do they still impose a £100 fine for late returns submitted. I do not have this problem any more but would love to have to pay £1000 per week because I would still be receiving a fair amount of money each week.

Dandyman

In London village.
You wolly.

Schemes were people pay less tax are to encourage certain practices. If you rent out a room in your home, you wont pay tax if the rent is less than £4,250PA. This is to encourage people to rent rooms in their homes, and if they want to avoid paying any tax, renting the room at an affordable rate.

The opportunity to avoid tax is the governments way of incentivising you to behave a certain way economically.

This is totally seperate fudging the books to evade paying taxes that the law says you should pay.

If the government says to a company "Set up here in the UK and if you employ X number of people, and you can pay less tax" then, by your logic, the company that takes up this offer is a "tax avoider".

You are confusing tax avoidance and tax evasion.

Personally I hate the whole concept of taxes.

"The power to tax is the power to destroy" - U.S. Chief Justice John Marshall.

The power to tax is the power to pay for schools, hospitals, roads, sanitation and everything else a civilized country requires. Tax avoidance, legal or otherwise, is an evasion of responsibility to our nation.

Dandyman

In London village.
Pay tax ? of course I do, over 1K last month. The working class pay the bulk of the taxes in this country, it's the rich Tory bastards that fiddle the system while claiming to be the backbone of it.

Right answer.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
The power to tax is the power to pay for schools, hospitals, roads, sanitation and everything else a civilized country requires. Tax avoidance, legal or otherwise, is an evasion of responsibility to our nation.

Exactly and means that individuals (e.g. employees) and businesses who are paying their full share of all relevant taxes, are subsidising tax and benefits cheats i.e. paying alot more.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
That there is a tax gap in the UK made up of £70 billion of tax evasion, £25 billion of tax avoidance and £25 billion of unpaid tax.

The government's response to this is to cut the number of staff at HMRC and to continue to take no action against the worl'd tax havens, many of which have strong links to the UK.

Discuss.
Perhaps we wouldnt need to be so worried about taxes if shit like this didnt occur
Nigerian mum Bimbo Ayelabola flew into Britain and had quins on the NHS | The Sun |News

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Exactly and means that individuals (e.g. employees) and businesses who are paying their full share of all relevant taxes, are subsidising tax and benefits cheats i.e. paying alot more.

Correct myself ... some businesses pay full share of taxes. But others don't, in 2 categories.

a) multinational with clever tax lawyers and accountants, who find loopholes or threaten to let hq leave uk; and
b) many local businesses who just don't want to declare full takings or trade e.g. small builders, building companies, restaurants & takeaways.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Their scale of charges showed different rates for different people and the collation of the figures was quoted as £50 per hour and yes it was a firm in London, I summised that it would be a 16 year old office junior collating the information and sorting out invoices and receipts, so did this myself each week. My whole point which people seem to be missing is that the onus on the returns being correct is on me or any other tax payer but the return is filed by a competant proffessional man, at whose feet no responsibility is laid because the tax payer has to sign a declaration on the return that the information given is correct. Nine times out of ten they wouldnt know and would assume that it was as they obviously trust their accountant.

At the end of the day your accountant gives advice and completes the tax return based on the information provided. How can an accountant be responsible for the information you provide which could be right or could be wrong that is why its the tax payers responsibility. If the accountant makes a mistake which results in the tax payer paying extra tax then the tax payer would take the accountant to task and make a claim for negligence.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
At the end of the day your accountant gives advice and completes the tax return based on the information provided. How can an accountant be responsible for the information you provide which could be right or could be wrong that is why its the tax payers responsibility. If the accountant makes a mistake which results in the tax payer paying extra tax then the tax payer would take the accountant to task and make a claim for negligence.

Yes the taxpayer should check it before signing.
The onus on the taxpayer would be that all income and gains included, all costs genuine.
If the accountant mis-applied your figures, or his error cost you more tax, penalties or interest, then you would complain formally to his firm and possibly his body if qualified (Chartered or Chartered Certified), and if no joy, sue too.
If you have a case, the ripple effect for him are significant ... PI insurance affected.

Costs - get a fixed written quote at the beginning covering the business and personal tax services you require.
Very competitive market. If you don't like the quote, shop around.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Personally, I would like to see serious tax evaders named and shamed so that we have a choice of not doing business with them.

I would like to see companies who are very slow in settling debts named, that way smaller companies can avoid doing business with them as non-payments can often severely affect their cash-flow, or even jeopardise their very existance.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Lets all work 4 months a year just to pay the interest on the national debt.

And lets give £1,500 a year to the council to help pay for them to spy on us.

You know what, f*** it, lets just nationalise everything :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here