Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So is everyone on here paying tax ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The way they are talking about tax avoidance in the media makes me laugh.

Tax avoidance is totally lawful, its just managing your money so you pay as little tax as possible. Why wouldnt you manage ur affairs that way?

Absolutely agree and we've had the discussion before but many of us carry out tax avoidance - a good example are people who do a booze cruise - they're avoiding paying the higher British tax rate. Why would anyone pay more tax than they have to ?

**** awaits the normal moaning response about the likes of Phil Green ****

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Pay around £900 a month - so picking up my dues.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Cutting staff from HMRC isn't the answer. I actually overpaid tax last year, apparently due to a previous employer not filing the correct paperwork. The staff at HMRC couldn't have been more helpful in making sure I got the money back.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
hehehe, people think tax goes to the government.........so, then, i ask you, how does the government pay back the massive INTEREST on the LOANS it receives from CENTRAL BANKS.

I paid over 200k tax in my life to the international bankers via UK PAYE and VAT, and will never pay them another dime :)

I have also never been on the dole nor claimed any benefit - why would i claim from a system that i think is broken, and do not want to pay into.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Most genuine law abiding taxpayers who are happy to pay their dues don't want to pay too much tax so aspire to being 'tax efficient' - rather than tax avoiders.

I would really hammer tax avoiders - they are getting a free ride on the backs of those who do the right thing.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Yes and they owe me some but won't be chasing me quite as much if at al as the people who owe them. Nightmare getting back what's owed to me. System is rubbish!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Most genuine law abiding taxpayers who are happy to pay their dues don't want to pay too much tax so aspire to being 'tax efficient' - rather than tax avoiders.

I would really hammer tax avoiders - they are getting a free ride on the backs of those who do the right thing.

Exactly the ignorance I am talking about. :wrong:

Can you clarify your use of the terms 'tax efficient' and 'tax avoidance', because it seems to me they are one and the same. It's tax evasion which is the illegal stuff and needs to be cracked down on.

Tax avoidance is the (legitimate) use of loopholes in the legislation to minimise your tax bill (such as having an ISA). Tax evasion is refusing to pay tax which is due. Obviously this is simplifying somewhat but that's the general idea.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Yes and they owe me some but won't be chasing me quite as much if at al as the people who owe them. Nightmare getting back what's owed to me. System is rubbish!

Interesting. I found the exact opposite.

My workplace's finance manager told me I was being raped on tax, so I phoned the HMRC helpline and spoke to a nice chap who explained what documents I need to send and what I need to say in the covering letter. I sent it all off, and the money arrived on a nice cheque - at the second time of asking (they looked at the wrong year first time). They only issue I encountered is the timescales. They say they will reply within 4 weeks, but from my experince it is nearer 6/7 weeks.

Good luck though. It took me a fair while to get my money back, but the people I spoke to at HMRC were incredibly helpful.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Exactly the ignorance I am talking about. :wrong:

I don't think you're in any position to accuse people of ignorance on this subject. Tax avoidance isn't "totally legal", it's just not a criminal offense. HMRC will prevent companies from operating schemes they believe are solely for the purpose of avoiding tax.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
yup...paye n stuff

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here