Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So is anyone here on strike?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Dam teachers on strike......

Get in the real world you lazy scroats! Not only do you work a 6 hour day, 5 days a week, you get 12 weeks PAID holiday. You also get a pension - nice one!

6 hour day? How do you think the lessons get planned, how do you think the work gets marked? I have worked in an office job and as a teacher and I can tell you which one is more demanding without hesitation. Come and do my job teaching 18 lessons in one week including the planning, preparation and marking of the 125 essays as well. Let me know how you get on.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I work at a Grammar School as a kind of History department photocopying/textbook-fixing/cupboard-tidying slave. My boss (HoD) has gone on strike, as have a few of the other teachers in the dept. I technically can't as I'm not part of any Unions (not that I would have done anyway). Oh well, what better way to enjoy the sun than sit in an office guillotining pieces of card for Sports Day for hours on end! :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Do you know any teachers? My partner who is a teacher leaves the house before 7 and gets back around 6:30pm and then normally does a couple of hours work each night. Id say at present she is more like doing a 60 hour week.

which highlights the real question: why do the teachers unions not campaign and go on strike over the issues of working practices and methods, which dont help the profession and are slowly deteriorating the eduction standards.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I am afraid this is what the tories are all about. They screwed up in the 90's with their stupid poll tax and caused a riot, and they are slowly screwing up again. This time things are even worse.
The black hole in the countries finances which now needs to be filled was largely created in the years up to 2010, when the tories were not in power. The coalition - for that's what it is, not a tory government - are now trying to prevent us going the way of Greece. Also the tories did not bail out the banks, Labour did. Given that many thousands of people work in the banking sector in this country, a sector which generates money into the UK economy it was probably best that they did so. However some of their actions also cost many thousands of people a lot of money. Unlike the cossetted public sector workers those of us in the private sector have to make our own provisions for pension. A large slice of that depends on the stock market including the banking shares which took such a hammering. So please spare us the 'public sector, we're so hard done by' crap. I had my pension slashed in 1998 and retirement date put back steadily over the last few years and have had to pay more for less for more than 10 years now. The reality is that we are ALL living longer so ALL need to work some of that extra time to fund it properly - wake up and smell the coffee.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Top observations xen: I couldn't - & indeed didn't - put it better myself. Still, I'm sure the greedy apologists will carry on smuggly gaffawing into their Fonseca while the rest of us go to Aldi in a handcart.

This divide & rule lark seems to be working a treat doesn't it? What a surprise...

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
The difference, as I suspect you well know, is that you have a choice about who you fund in the private sector. But you (or I) have no choice when it comes to paying taxes, and you can't decide whether your taxes should be given to teachers, or to hard-working NHS midwives, or to a 'fat cat' local government boss.

Sorry but thats bollocks. Yes I can decide to go to Sainsburys instead of Tesco's but its the same result wherever I shop. As my family will still need to eat I will be paying towards financing whoever it is, even the local greengrocer down the road! Perhaps you could tell me how I can fill up my car without paying something towards the pension schemes of Oil companies, use electricity or gas without 'subsidising' their pension pot, etc, etc.

Anyway according to the latest figures the current Public Sector pension schemes cost 1.9% of GDP. Doing nothing towards altering them it automatically falls to 1.3% over the next 60 years. Seems like theirs no need to do anything then.

Sorry but thats bollocks. Yes I can decide to go to Sainsburys instead of Tesco's but its the same result wherever I shop. As my family will still need to eat I will be paying towards financing whoever it is, even the local greengrocer down the road! Perhaps you could tell me how I can fill up my car without paying something towards the pension schemes of Oil companies, use electricity or gas without 'subsidising' their pension pot, etc, etc.

Er, you've completely missed the point, or I haven't explained myself very well. I'm not saying you don't need to eat (that would be weird), but that you have a choice over which company you give your business to. If you don't like the behaviour of one firm you can avoid them. You can't chose to fund only the 'good' or 'worthwhile' parts of the public sector, the choice is taken away from you.

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Do you know any teachers? My partner who is a teacher leaves the house before 7 and gets back around 6:30pm and then normally does a couple of hours work each night. Id say at present she is more like doing a 60 hour week.

And she isn't on strike today.

Well done, my wife works in the health sector and left at 7am for work this morning (she only works about 8 miles away so not much traveliing time) and I'm not expecting her home until 8pm tonight, if she's lucky, and the same tomorrow, she had her final salary pension taken away three years ago, so forgive me for not feeling sorry for your wife.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Haven't the time to trawl through all the posts so apologies if this has already been mentioned. For every five pounds I pay council tax one pound goes directly to providing pensions, that is unsustainable. I speak as an ex pension fund trusty, something has to change because if it doesn't future government will be in a position where they will have significant issues in honouring peoples pensions. Private DB schemes have been closed or shutdown because if they weren't companies could go the wall. The running joke is the BA is a pension fund with an airline attached. The Post Office deficit is in the region of 8 billion pounds, the public sector is no different accept it is paid for by the tax payer. Normally I'm very sympathetic to the 'workers' but in this case you've picked the wrong fight.
BTW, politics should be kept out of this, it is more important than that. For what it's worth I wouldn't let this government run a bath. Completely clueless

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Er, you've completely missed the point, or I haven't explained myself very well. I'm not saying you don't need to eat (that would be weird), but that you have a choice over which company you give your business to. If you don't like the behaviour of one firm you can avoid them. You can't chose to fund only the 'good' or 'worthwhile' parts of the public sector, the choice is taken away from you.

There are many private sector companies that are effective monopolies though. We all know that a combination of ignorance, lethargy and high switching costs mean that consumers rarely switch their banks, utilities etc, and when I travel to work each day I have no choice but to use the one rail company providing a service.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
My wife is also a teacher and just left for the level. It is the first time her union has gone on strike in their 127 year old history. She easily works 60 hours in a week, The govt have said they are going to do the following to our family without any negotiation.

Put up her contributions by more than 50 per cent – from 6.4 per cent to 9.8 per cent of salary = £100 a month

Make her work to 68

Cut her total pot by 1/5

Refuse to provide proof that the teacher's pension even runs with a deficit.

Carry on giving tax breaks to the top 1% of earners in this country that if reapplied would equate to a bloody big chunk of your average public sector workers recent pay cuts.

Well she's got my support!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Great thread! NSC at its best. Totally polarised. Balance of informed and uninformed. Passionate. Opinionated. Even some considered arguments. It's got everything...................................... looking forward to it running and running.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Well done, my wife works in the health sector and left at 7am for work this morning (she only works about 8 miles away so not much traveliing time) and I'm not expecting her home until 8pm tonight, if she's lucky, and the same tomorrow, she had her final salary pension taken away three years ago, so forgive me for not feeling sorry for your wife.

I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for her! Just people need to get facts right before slating. IMHO these strikes are ridiculous. But then again I work for myself so have to sort out my own pension!

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away

No sorry but you've still lost me. As I have to eat, drive a car and use power/water etc I don't have a choice. Whoever I end up using I pay towards their pension scheme. I therefore do not have a choice if I want to live a normal existence. How on earth can I choose anyway between the 'good' and 'bad' private companies as they don't supply enough detail for me to make that choice even if I could.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here