Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So In 20 years time when the oil runs out ..

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I'm gonna do one of those drug concoctions River Phoenix did, a speed ball I believe it is called. I'm gonna get royally tanked and set up a ramp outside the houses of parliment. Then I'm gonna pour the last bit of petrol over my car, get in and get someone to light it. Then I will speed off the ramp and straight into the houses of parliment. It will be prime ministers question time and you will see me come flying through the wall as the flaming car turns in the air passing over all their heads before exploding.

swissseagull

Dec 16, 2003
Baden, Switzerland
Lammy said:
You're right, we could just stop eating and life in mud huts. More realistically, we can use biofuel with the resources we have coupled with more traditional sources like oil. We're not going to be able to flick a switch and make the problem go away overnight. It will be a gradual one. It's better switch to biofuel now rather than not because of what would happen if everyone did it IMHO.

There is also rather a LOT of land on the planet capable of growing crops for fuel. Not enough maybe to completely replace oil but to take a fair bit of the burden. Other options include Hydrogen powered cars. Hydrogen can be produced cleanly by renewable power, but this will be expensive and it's production needs to be more efficient. Biofuel is a good stop gap.

Hey, why mud huts? never heard of earchships? The only one in England so far is in Brighton with 14 more planned.
So, if there is so much land on the planet cabable of growing crops for fuel, then why are rainforests being destroyed? So, where is the water going to come from for all these new crops? Worldwide, we're almost out of fresh water. Water tables are sinking everywhere because we're taking too much out (monoculture farming, inefficiency, using drinking water to water the garden, flush the loo etc. not to mention ever increasing droughts ).
Hydrogen requires vast amounts of electricity which we're not cabable of producing. Wind, solar, thermal will be needed just to cover normal demand.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
swissseagull said:
Hey, why mud huts? never heard of earchships? The only one in England so far is in Brighton with 14 more planned.
So, if there is so much land on the planet cabable of growing crops for fuel, then why are rainforests being destroyed? So, where is the water going to come from for all these new crops? Worldwide, we're almost out of fresh water. Water tables are sinking everywhere because we're taking too much out (monoculture farming, inefficiency, using drinking water to water the garden, flush the loo etc. not to mention ever increasing droughts ).
Hydrogen requires vast amounts of electricity which we're not cabable of producing. Wind, solar, thermal will be needed just to cover normal demand.

We're all f***ed then.

What's an earchship?

Last edited:

swissseagull

Dec 16, 2003
Baden, Switzerland
Lammy said:
We're all f***ed then.

What's an earchship?

sorry, earthship (www.earthship.co.uk)
Yes, we're all f***ed. It could all be saved though but it would mean completely changing the way we live and work, it would mean an end of consumerism, capitalism and the way we live and work. Trouble is, these ideas aren't in the interest of government or industry so they won't happen unless you do them yourselves.
Some solutions are permaculture, living and working on the land, communes and self administrating communities. Put a man in a good environment and he will be good. Put a man in a bad environment and he'll be bad. At the moment, we're working against nature and not with it. Our only hope is to stop destroying it and start living with it.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
swissseagull said:
sorry, earthship (www.earthship.co.uk)
Yes, we're all f***ed. It could all be saved though but it would mean completely changing the way we live and work, it would mean an end of consumerism, capitalism and the way we live and work. Trouble is, these ideas aren't in the interest of government or industry so they won't happen unless you do them yourselves.
Some solutions are permaculture, living and working on the land, communes and self administrating communities. Put a man in a good environment and he will be good. Put a man in a bad environment and he'll be bad. At the moment, we're working against nature and not with it. Our only hope is to stop destroying it and start living with it.

You're what's known as an idealist. I'm a realist. All the measures I've suggested will make a huge difference to the planet without a huge impact of how we live.

You are suggesting that we all quit our jobs, and live the Goode Life.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lammy said:
I'm a realist.
Oh dear - doesn't everyone think that?

Chaps, you're both right. Biodiesel is cleaner and greener than fossil fuels, no question. But whether it can easily replace the 85 MILLION barrels of oil set to be consumed globally EVERY DAY during 2006 without addressing the level of consumption is another matter entirely.

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Man of Harveys said:
Oh dear - doesn't everyone think that?

You're forgetting yourself MoH!

I'm (nearly) ALWAYS right!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lammy said:
You're forgetting yourself MoH!

I'm (nearly) ALWAYS right!
I'm a very reality person, living in the real world, with "keeping it real" as my slogan. And I think we can go up this year! :clap2:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you ask me (and quite reasonably no-one does very much) the very capatalist conglomerates people say are ruining the world are going to HAVE to be the ones to save it. Can you really see Exxon, BP, Honda, Ford et al just quietly drifting off in to obscurity? I'm pretty sure the answer to any oil crisis is already being played out in these companies R 'n' D departments.

malcolm prescott

Jul 8, 2006
Preston village
the world has at least another 150 years of oil its just not easy nor cheap to get at when the cost out ways the profit other methods of fuel will come on line I am with the yanks on this keep burning the stuff

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Guinness Boy said:
If you ask me (and quite reasonably no-one does very much) the very capatalist conglomerates people say are ruining the world are going to HAVE to be the ones to save it. Can you really see Exxon, BP, Honda, Ford et al just quietly drifting off in to obscurity? I'm pretty sure the answer to any oil crisis is already being played out in these companies R 'n' D departments.
I think you're right; the uncomfortable truth of the matter is the really obvious point which these firms try to obscure: despite cute ads on the telly with big windfarms, or pretty marine life, or vox pops with people expressing concern about climate change, these massive oil companies make their dosh primarily by dragging filthy oil out of the ground and selling it to people.

I know it's obvious but I think they're trying to say "well, it's not just that you know" because, like Falmer, there is no large-scale plan B for them (yet?) and their share price would plummet, with massive knock-on effects for, say, UK pension funds, many of which have invested in BP.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
desprateseagull said:
bike for rent. £1,000 a day.
To quote the Newtown Neurotics from their classic song "When the oil runs out.":

"What are you going to do when cycling becomes a strain?
And you need a drop of 3-in-1 on your bicycle chain?"

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Brovian said:
To quote the Newtown Neurotics from their classic song "When the oil runs out.":

"What are you going to do when cycling becomes a strain?
And you need a drop of 3-in-1 on your bicycle chain?"

Can't you just rub a bit of Lard on there?

Or do Pigs give off too much methane?

Ohhhh I don't know!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lammy said:
Can't you just rub a bit of Lard on there?

Or do Pigs give off too much methane?

Ohhhh I don't know!
Possibly. It's just to make people remember that the oil running out isn't just about the end of car fuel - it's about the end of the entire petro-chemical industry. That means the end of other products as well such as plastic.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
As it happens I'm going on a course about alternative energy heating systems tonight and tomorrow.

I find all this stuff fascinating already have a heat pump but looking to get solar and a wind turbine.

Has anybody seen 'it's not easy going green' and how they get free electric for their lighting from a water mill?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here