Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So how many games does the NEW guy get ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can we stop giving managers long contracts then sacking them just part way through! How much have we paid out in "compensation" in the last few years? We could have used that money to strengthen the squad. We have 18 months to pay out Slade, how much did we pay Wilkins and McGhee??

I know we risk losing a good manager if a short term deal offered, they then do well and walk out, but it saves on compensation packages when we sack them.

I would give a new manager the rest of the season, I have no doubt that they will bring in new players in January (and some existing players will leave) so how do they get for these new players and a new way of playing to gel?

Managers need time, Adams first season first time round was not great, the next two seasons was back to back Championships.

How are we going to attract a quality manager if we're only prepared to give him a few months ? Anyone being interviewed will be acutely aware of the revolving door in the managers office here. The last guy was 15 games into a 2 year deal !

Buggered if I'd be prepared to upsticks and move to the south coast to join a club that hires and fires according to the formbook of the team. Go on a bad run and you're out the door. Nope, I'd not consider pledging my professional future to the Albion without the security of a 2 year deal, minimum. Because you know anything short of Playoffs at the moment, and you're out on your ear.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
How are we going to attract a quality manager if we're only prepared to give him a few months ? Anyone being interviewed will be acutely aware of the revolving door in the managers office here. The last guy was 15 games into a 2 year deal !

Buggered if I'd be prepared to upsticks and move to the south coast to join a club that hires and fires according to the formbook of the team. Go on a bad run and you're out the door. Nope, I'd not consider pledging my professional future to the Albion without the security of a 2 year deal, minimum. Because you know anything short of Playoffs at the moment, and you're out on your ear.

So give them a 2 year deal and honour that contract!

I think Slade has built up a good squad and as he says its a long term plan with the biggest investment on young players who would take us forward. Bennett, Dickinson and Tunicliffe all early 20's and could be the basis of the team for a number of years. Slade wanted time to build us into a good team. So perhaps we go out buy seasoned professionals to get immediate results but in 2 years time have to do it all again as they are all past there best. Slade was given some money towards building up a good squad to take us forward but has now been sacked and not allowed to finish the job he has just started.

I know with Falmer we need results now and next year, so perhaps the long term vision is not what is need now. Instant results or more sackings.

I am bored of changing our manager at the drop of a hat, all we end up with is a manager that somebody else sacked as they consider them not good enough!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Couldn't have said it any better, Mr Blobby.

The expectations of some people are ridiculous here at the moment. Unfortunately, what has really done for Slade is that he's been given money to spend, and that brings its own pressures as the demand for instant success off the back of that has gone out of all proportion. We've had a MASSIVE turnover of the squad, and I think by and large the players he has brought in are a great improvement on what we had before. Crofts, Dicker, Tunnicliffe, Bennett are all excellent signings. Dickinson so far has been disappointing but he had by far his best game for us so far on Saturday and he's only 23 so he could still come good. Its takes more than 15 games to build a team, and as I've said before, I believe its just getting that settled back 4 that is the key, because going forward we are often very enterprising. We need a Morgan / Butters type experienced centreback, and once we get the likes of Whing and McNulty in the fullback positions again, we'll be much improved. That improvement will now come with a new manager, and he'll find that Russell Slade has put the makings of a very good squad together.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Amateur in the extreme in his defensive dealings though. Left FB and central defence was a problem from the pre-season friendlies. Slade has only himself to blame imo for not sorting it out, he did have the time to shore up the defence and if he really expected not having Whing from early on and McNulty could be muddled through with an inexperienced central defensive pairing he was a bit of a fool imo.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If Slade had stuck to what he knows best i have no doubt he would still be in a job.

Last season we were successful playing a very direct style of football with a big target man. This season we are trying to play passing football and i dont think Slade knows how to organise that style of team.

Not saying he shouldnt have gone and 15 games isnt really a long time, however we havent got ANY better this season than we were at the start and Slades quotes of happy with attitute and commitment last week arent really what the fans and the board wanted to hear.

I admit Bloom for having the bollocks to make the decision and even more so that he made a clean sweep of the whole backroom team.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Amateur in the extreme in his defensive dealings though. Left FB and central defence was a problem from the pre-season friendlies. Slade has only himself to blame imo for not sorting it out, he did have the time to shore up the defence and if he really expected not having Whing from early on and McNulty could be muddled through with an inexperienced central defensive pairing he was a bit of a fool imo.

Slade hasn't got everything right quite clearly, and I'd generally agree with your points there. But he has also been very unfortunate with injuries as well, being as our LB berth seems cursed and then we went and lost Whing as well. The foundation of ANY team is the defence, and this is what has been Slades downfall - the chopping and changing due to injuries, suspensions and rank bad form has meant our back four has been constantly changing.

Get the bak 4 right and everything else tends to fall into place. We're really not far away from benig a decent outifit in this league, Slade HAS put a good squad together. An experienced centreback and the return of Whing and McNulty would do wonders for us, and I'm pretty sure Slade would have put that right. Given the time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Get the bak 4 right and everything else tends to fall into place. We're really not far away from benig a decent outifit in this league, Slade HAS put a good squad together. An experienced centreback and the return of Whing and McNulty would do wonders for us, and I'm pretty sure Slade would have put that right. Given the time.

I can't argue with that, we are much better team to watch going forward but it was the defensive frailities that cost Slade his job and we were getting worse not better, which has to be a good reason to make changes now rather than wait any longer. I expected us to struggle a bit for the 1st 12 games or so but not to go backwards in defence. I wish the guy well and do feel for him as for the most part he was getting there, but his inability to stop the rot in defence has cost him his job.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
None of us lot know the full story - and this may sound familiar to when Wilkins went - but managers get longer when there is a good atmosphere around the club. This is almost always present when the team is winning - but it can also be there when the team is losing - because everyone has confidence that form and results will turn.

Slade has had a nightmare with injuries to defenders - but there are so many whispers (and red cards) around that it is not a happy ship at the moment. I suspect that Bloom took note of this making the decision.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I look forward to Tony Bloom continuing what his Grandfather was a part of during the Mike Bamber years!

Let's hope he doesn't continue that process.

Yes, we got into the top flight with them but all of the crazy contracts handed out to players in that era saddled the club with debts that ultimately led to us letting in Archer and Stanley. I'm sure Tony Bloom does things differently-at least I hope he does.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
In response to Easy 10 we won't have to sack the next manager as we will be hiring a championship quality candidate...........in other words we will be back to the type of manager who will f**k off the moment a bigger club waves a bit of cash about!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Can we stop giving managers long contracts then sacking them just part way through! How much have we paid out in "compensation" in the last few years? We could have used that money to strengthen the squad. We have 18 months to pay out Slade, how much did we pay Wilkins and McGhee??

I know we risk losing a good manager if a short term deal offered, they then do well and walk out, but it saves on compensation packages when we sack them.

I would give a new manager the rest of the season, I have no doubt that they will bring in new players in January (and some existing players will leave) so how do they get for these new players and a new way of playing to gel?

Managers need time, Adams first season first time round was not great, the next two seasons was back to back Championships.

You contradict yourself, you want managers to have time but you want the new man to only have until the end of the season?

Whoever the new man is has to be here until Falmer. It really is time to stick with someone, almost no matter what. Partly because we have become a sacking club and for the reasons that it takes time to build a team, on and off the pitch on this occasion. Hopefully Bloom will realise this and fully support the man he picks.

One final point, it will have to be a long term contract to atrract the standard of manager we need.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If it is Dennis Wise, which my mate from Derby has heard is a certainty ( although he did suggest that Tony Blair would return as Labour leader so....) I would give him precisely NO games and sack him instantly he signs the piece of paper.....

A) because he is a nasty little shit

B) ...erm that is it!

Also, because our shite management who are running this club have as much idea about running a football club as I do ( precisely none) - how many more managers are going to come down here, get carried away by a huge stadium being built and the promise of sending the team out in front of 22,500 people every week ( Like hell) and then after two games where we look like we havent changed the way we play at all...get stick from here and the board in their feckless way, take notice and sack them!!

What needs to happen is for the board ( whoever they may be at this present moment) to go for a tried and tested manager in the mould of Mark McGhee and STICK WITH THEM. (Personally, if I had my choice it would have been Pardew) Give them time , because it is blatently obvious that if they listen to 90% of the people on here, if a manager is not good enough after 15 games they are seemly never going to be good enough and they should be sacked.

There was me thinking that Knight was the Deadly Doug of the south coast.....when actually its the whole bunch of them

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Slade was originally a stop-gap appointment. He was always going to have less time than a manager that Bloom has been ablr to take his time over and appoint. I suspect a new man will be given at least a year. Even if we go down. Which we won't.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
If it is Dennis Wise, which my mate from Derby has heard is a certainty ( although he did suggest that Tony Blair would return as Labour leader so....) I would give him precisely NO games and sack him instantly he signs the piece of paper.....

A) because he is a nasty little shit

B) ...erm that is it!

Are you a taxi-driver by any chance?:laugh:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
So give them a 2 year deal and honour that contract!

I think Slade has built up a good squad and as he says its a long term plan with the biggest investment on young players who would take us forward. Bennett, Dickinson and Tunicliffe all early 20's and could be the basis of the team for a number of years. Slade wanted time to build us into a good team. So perhaps we go out buy seasoned professionals to get immediate results but in 2 years time have to do it all again as they are all past there best.

But you can't til the transfer window opens....

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
In answer to the original question.

45 mins. If we are NOT 3-0 up by HALF TIME in their FIRST game then I shall EXPECT that he be sacked IMMEDIATELY.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In answer to the original question.

45 mins. If we are NOT 3-0 up by HALF TIME in their FIRST game then I shall EXPECT that he be sacked IMMEDIATELY.

trouble is mate...that is EXACTLY what the situation is currently!

In answer to your question, it will depend as much on the quality of the football being played as the results.

If the quality is good but results are bad, the likelihood is that things will get better so stick with them.

It the football's crap and results crap - gone in less than 15 games.

Sadly I wished the Board had stuck to option A as footy was good with some relatively minor tweaking being the order of the day and not major surgery. Where some people keep on saying our football has been crap - they must be at different games I go to. Saturday was superb EXCEPT for individuals who messed up. Even with those cock ups we deserved to win but the blinkered amongst us will never agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here