Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So how many games does the NEW guy get ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If his defence performs like Slade's about 12 games?

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Will be interesting to see what odds the bookies give on the next manger leading us out at Falmer - Slade was a good man but let down by rubbish coaching and fickle, mercenary players with little character, lets hope Charlie Oatway can instill some of that team spirit they had back in his days here, 'cause without it no team will work for whoever we get in.
The style of play is surely down to coaching - the lack of movement, quality of ball control etc we see every week, I sure hope the new manager is more clued up on working on players individual weaknesses as well as team play.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The style of play is surely down to coaching - the lack of movement, quality of ball control etc we see every week, I sure hope the new manager is more clued up on working on players individual weaknesses as well as team play.

Dont forget the CALAMATOUS defending that has been ENDEMIC in the side since the season started. Im sorry but they had to go. Im sad Slade has but it was more than just a bad day at the office.

It was a worrying trend that will now hopefully stop.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
As long as the new manager makes sure Brighton ends up in the bottom 4 most fans will be supportive it seems.. shame someone like Tony Bloom has some ambition.. cancel falmer.. withdean forever.

:laugh::laugh:

The trouble is that the Club has attracted too many losers as fans since we left The Goldstone. All more interested in kissing Dick Knights arse and wanting to feel to feel part of a campaign than wishing to see the Albion play at the top level again. Hopefully, they will either get over it and enjoy the ride, of bugger off to Crawley, Borough or Lewes for their humility.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
On the grounds that a manager is appointed because the club thinks he will make a go of it,the new manager has until retirement age.

New bloke IN,to answer a previous post.(New bloke's Blue'n'White army!)

This club has realists who want us to do well, but are acutely aware of the need to survive.
IF we had "seen the Albion play at the top level again" while struggling through at Withdean, it's possible we may have LOST Withdean and gone under completely!

Stranger than fiction, is reality - but it HAS just changed; we have an open road to success now. IF the club can get up to the Championship from here, then we can handle that and kick on. IF we could go up again the next season -to the top level - we will be able to handle it, because we'll be walking into Falmer Stadium!!

Complete failure is NOT an option. FACT.

(and who-ever takes over management at The Albion now, can achieve every ambition in football, unfettered!)

(AND whoever PLAYS for The Albion can achieve every ambition, better not overlook that)

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This a ridiculous thread, no offence Easy. Slade had 31 games in charge. He was woefully failing in almost every aspect of being a football manager. What is the point in giving him more time to deliver 4 division football for us ?.

A new manager may not necessariliy work but we will have a far greater chance of success with someone like Coppell or Curbishley in charge than Slade.

Slade's record this season was a complete and utter disgrace, pretty indefensible to be honest. He has support because he is a nice guy. People like nice guys but unfortunately nice guys finish last in most things in life. Nice guys do not make successful businessmen, you won't find too many nice guys in the boardrooms of successful businesses. Nice guys do not make successful football managers. Most of them are arseholes but successful arseholes.

If Wise had been in charge and delvered exactly the same results as Slade he would have been tarred and feathered and run out of Town.

Why is it a ridiculous thread ? Its just a question to be asked. For me, Slade being "nice" has nothing to do with it. But the fact is, we've sacked a guy 15 games into the season, and some people wanted him sacked long before that. So if the new manager doesn't hit the ground running, and delivers a similar set of results over HIS first 15 games, will the knives be out again to get rid of him ? Its a valid question isn't it ?

The assumption always seems to be that a new manager will automatically deliver an improvement, but thats not necessarily always going to be the case. It bloody needs to be though, because the expectations at this club now are sky high, and the patience of the fans is at an all-time low. Thats not an easy combination for a new manager to handle. God help him if he doesn't get a win in his first 6 games, because the same people calling for Slades head will be out in force once again.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The assumption always seems to be that a new manager will automatically deliver an improvement, but thats not necessarily always going to be the case. It bloody needs to be though, because the expectations at this club now are sky high, and the patience of the fans is at an all-time low. Thats not an easy combination for a new manager to handle. God help him if he doesn't get a win in his first 6 games, because the same people calling for Slades head will be out in force once again.
The thing is Slade DID deliver an improvement! We were playing shit and were dead and buried when he took over. He not only saved us but the general consensus is that we've now got a better squad playing better football - but that wasn't enough for fantasists such as Spielberg. I know, I know Unc, you only want the best for Brighton and I'm a LOSER with low expectations. Wonder how long you'll give the new guy?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Letting in 32 goals in 17 games is playing better football is it ?. Losing 5 in 8 at home is better is it ?, 1 win in the last 9 games is better is it ?, Ok. You win. What a GLORIOUS season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The thing is Slade DID deliver an improvement! We were playing shit and were dead and buried when he took over. He not only saved us but the general consensus is that we've now got a better squad playing better football

Correct.
But because we're not challenging Leeds, Charlton, Norwich et-al at the top of the division, its obviously not good enough. Had we popped another goal in during the second half on Saturday (which given the much-improved performance after the break we very nearly did), then we'd have been a mighty EIGHT points off the Playoffs. In October.

It was an INDIFFERENT start to the season, not a DISASTROUS one. And I think given a bit more time, Slade would have got us gradually moving up the table.

But the bar has been set ridiculously high now. Anything less than tearing up this league, and the new guy will be under unbelievable pressure again. I just hope he knows what he's letting himself in for here.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The thing is Slade DID deliver an improvement! We were playing shit and were dead and buried when he took over. He not only saved us but the general consensus is that we've now got a better squad playing better football [...]

yes.... last season. but you dont have to be a fantasist to think that precisely because of this better squad, we should be nearer the other end of the table. whatever magic he worked last spring wasnt doing it anymore.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Letting in 32 goals in 17 games is playing better football is it ?. Losing 5 in 8 at home is better is it ?, 1 win in the last 9 games is better is it ?, Ok. You win. What a GLORIOUS season.
You see? That's why no one takes you seriously. No of course it isn't a glorious season who said it was?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Trouble is, a GLORIOUS season was the expectation amongst some. Anything less than that from the very start and he was always going to be in trouble.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
whatever magic he worked last spring wasnt doing it anymore.

Possibly because the teams we are playing this season have more to play for than the teams we played at the end of last season?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
yes.... last season. but you dont have to be a fantasist to think that precisely because of this better squad, we should be nearer the other end of the table. whatever magic he worked last spring wasnt doing it anymore.
I don't disagree, but the fact of the matter is we are better off than before he came. Not much admittedly but as Slade himself said we were in the middle of the rebuilding programme. We all agree the results are shit. The difference is that some of us were saying "It's shit but give him time" and others were saying "It's shit so sack him now." Obviously they've got their wish and time will tell who was right

And anyway this thread is about how long will you give the new guy. Most people are being surprisingly coy about it or are skirting round it. With good reason obviously because no one wants to come over as too fickle but on the other hand if they're too generous people could say "well why didn't you think Slade should have been given more time then?"

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Trouble is, a GLORIOUS season was the expectation amongst some. Anything less than that from the very start and he was always going to be in trouble.

Oh for fucks sake man! There is a massive difference between a "GLORIOUS season" and what has happened so far!

You need to just face up to the facts, Tony Bloom is a "WINNER" and wants the best for our Club. There will be no room for the bunch losers that have attached themselves to our Club over recent years.

I look forward to Tony Bloom continuing what his Grandfather was a part of during the Mike Bamber years!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Can we stop giving managers long contracts then sacking them just part way through! How much have we paid out in "compensation" in the last few years? We could have used that money to strengthen the squad. We have 18 months to pay out Slade, how much did we pay Wilkins and McGhee??

I know we risk losing a good manager if a short term deal offered, they then do well and walk out, but it saves on compensation packages when we sack them.

I would give a new manager the rest of the season, I have no doubt that they will bring in new players in January (and some existing players will leave) so how do they get for these new players and a new way of playing to gel?

Managers need time, Adams first season first time round was not great, the next two seasons was back to back Championships.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here