Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So called Brighton fans who sang about Istanbul!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
To all those who joined in with the Istanbul chant, I don't care what you say or what excuses you give, you are mindless, ignorant morons.

And I am very ashamed to support the same team as you.

The excuses and self-righteous apologies are really pathetic.

I know I'll get slagged off for saying that, but I frankly don't care.

Well said sir, there are things more important than football.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To all those who joined in with the Istanbul chant, I don't care what you say or what excuses you give, you are mindless, ignorant morons.

And I am very ashamed to support the same team as you.

The excuses and self-righteous apologies are really pathetic.

I know I'll get slagged off for saying that, but I frankly don't care.

If someone does something, when pissed, and having eaten ALL the blue Smarties from the tube in a single mouthful, and then realises they have made a bit of a tit of themselves and apologises then that is not as bad as someone who is trying to justify such a chant............IMO.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
If someone does something, when pissed, and having eaten ALL the blue Smarties from the tube in a single mouthful, and then realises they have made a bit of a tit of themselves and apologises then that is not as bad as someone who is trying to justify such a chant............IMO.

I agree, but my impression, rightly or wrongly, was that despite the apology another 15 Stellas and another tube of blue Smarties would see the same thing happening again.

'I was pissed' excuses nothing.

A couple of years ago at Priestfield a pissed Albion fan shouted 'I hope you die of cancer' to a Gills player. Is that OK because he was pissed?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No No No nearly every game someone sings Seig Heil near me ...................bastards!!
One of the national newspapers picked up on that when we played at the New Den and reported that the Albion supporters were making nazi salutes and chanting "seig heil" :)

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008

El Pres

After he finished the tube of Smarties. Did he put the lid back on, place the tube on the floor and stamp on it so it made a loud bang? :laugh:

On a serious point.
Give Buzza a break.
He is most probably suffering enough today with one mother of a hangover!

Apr 25, 2008
Playing my flute
I remember a team going to Cardiff a couple of years ago (can't remember the team unfortunately) singing songs about Aberfan. In the same ball park here. Death is not a subject to be gloated over.

Newtothis

Oct 13, 2008
To be honest I think it sounded more like some of them were singing "its our ball" , referring to the blow up beach ball down at the front of the stand. Probably nearer to 300 joining in though.

O come on we all know they were singing Istanbul and yes in the heat of the moment I joined in. But it certaintly wasn't the worst song of the afternoon. A guy behind me was singing "always look out for Turks wielding knives". And the people who started Istanbul were the same people who were singing "one man and his sunshine bus went to lick a window". Which I find far more offensive.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
O come on we all know they were singing Istanbul and yes in the heat of the moment I joined in. But it certaintly wasn't the worst song of the afternoon. A guy behind me was singing "always look out for Turks wielding knives". And the people who started Istanbul were the same people who were singing "one man and his sunshine bus went to lick a window". Which I find far more offensive.

More offensive than singing about someone being murdered? Unbelievable.

It's all equally offensive and 'heat of the moment' is no excuse whatsoever. It's still ignorant and pathetic. I would also say it's extremely childish but that would be an insult to children.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Taking the piss out of scousers nicking stuff or Albion fans being gay is part and parcel of it all but jesting about 2 innocent men who were murdered leaving wifes and young children to grieve is not only unfunny but deeply upsetting to their friends, families and fellow supporters.
cant say for certain , but i heard that one of them was a bit of a player in leeds's mob.im sure das reich can confirm or deny this ?

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
going to a game in turkey where it is GUARANTEED to go off is your own choice. All this bollocks I read on here is all very Diana Generation.

I am sorry the fellas dead, and if you want to sing songs about people being murdered then look to yourself to whether thats right or not. Thats not my point. My point is all the 'how would we like it' bleating and f***ing hypersenstitivity. I would swear hardly any fucker on this site has been to a football match before euro 96/Dianas death.

Places like Leeds are well versed in harder knocks than a few bell ends singing songs. Every club sings did the ripper f*** your mum and they can live with it. This is the club that used to come down and do thousands of pounds worth of damage to ordinary brighton businesses in their heyday. thats not a reason to laugh at murder victims I am just saying f***ing hell a lot of people come across as very soft indeed on here.

Leeds fans can live with it. Thats because its a real city and not a town full of middle class guardian reading media workers who degrees in self righteousness. Who one minute are expressing solidarity for complete strangers and the next minute denouncing their fans as scum who hit scarfers, and express amazement that people couild be so jolly rotten.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I can only assume that anyone who thinks it is fair to sing about Istanbul would equally find it fair if opposing fans sang songs about Robert Eaton's death?

A key point! Does anyone who did sing the Istanbul song and thought it OK, care to suggest that they wouldn't take offence at a similar song about Robert Eaton?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
going to a game in turkey where it is GUARANTEED to go off is your own choice. All this bollocks I read on here is all very Diana Generation.

I am sorry the fellas dead, and if you want to sing songs about people being murdered then look to yourself to whether thats right or not. Thats not my point. My point is all the 'how would we like it' bleating and f***ing hypersenstitivity. I would swear hardly any fucker on this site has been to a football match before euro 96/Dianas death.

Places like Leeds are well versed in harder knocks than a few bell ends singing songs. Every club sings did the ripper f*** your mum and they can live with it. This is the club that used to come down and do thousands of pounds worth of damage to ordinary brighton businesses in their heyday. thats not a reason to laugh at murder victims I am just saying f***ing hell a lot of people come across as very soft indeed on here.

Leeds fans can live with it. Thats because its a real city and not a town full of middle class guardian reading media workers who degrees in self righteousness. Who one minute are expressing solidarity for complete strangers and the next minute denouncing their fans as scum who hit scarfers, and express amazement that people couild be so jolly rotten.

It's not being soft, it's being a decent human being.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
like your avatar mate that went right over your head.

right

I am not saying it is right to sing about a murdered bloke. not singing a song does not necessarily make you a decent human being though but thats another thing.

what i am saying is that people are getting a bit up themselves here, and have to genuinely ask themselves whether bthey genuinely feel for the relatives or friends of the murdered bloke or if they are just giving it the biggun on a football website. i suspect the latter in a lot of cases.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I would swear hardly any fucker on this site has been to a football match before euro 96/Dianas death.

As someone who has been going since the early 70's and witnessed some pretty awful things, your point above is an interesting one, as it appears that compared to thosem times, football has moved on immensely. I can remember walking with a group of mates through Sunderland at night absolutely petrified that at any time, these huge skinheads walking next to us were going to kick off...as it was one pulled a knife just as a paddy wagon was driving past and we were bundled into the back of it " for our own safety". Conversely, two years ago, we were sat in a west ham pub having a drink and something to eat chatting with three blokes who were originally ICF people, talking about the rucks they had down in Brighton many years ago...these were hard nuts, but there was no feeling of intimidation or anything.

that is how I think ( but maybe its because I am older) football and football fans have changed

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I was thinking of starting going to away games again, so my son could get experience the atmosphere not present at Withdean. But if this is typical of what's going on now, then sod it.

Don't we want to be proud of who we support? Not just the players, but the support as well. A handful of people I can explain to my boy as a few ignorant people, but how I could I explain 300 out of 1,000 singing 'Istanbul' - and still expect him to be proud to support the Albion?

If wanting to be proud makes me soft, then soft I am, Spanish. I don't believe you can't see the difference between chants about Istanbul, Munich, Aberfan, etc and "you're going home in a Sussex ambulance", etc, which are posturing, comedy and don't hurt anyone.

My worst experience following the Albion was at Leeds on the day of the Hillsborough disaster - hundreds of Leeds fans dancing in celebration as news came through of supporters dying at the Liverpool-Forest semi-final. I can't help feeling badly towards Leeds Utd and their supporters since, even though most didn't join in. Do you want people to think of us like that?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I was in the away end and didn't hear it at all. It wasn't a significant point of the afternoon at all. I wouldn't deprive my son of great experiences because of a few thoughtless idiots.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Enough has been said about the Istanbul rubbish, Im not going say too much further. Its not banter, 'Youre too ugly to be gay etc' is banter. I dont go to football to be killed and I dont want anyone else to go to football to be killed or seriously injured, and Im pretty sure that everyone who goes to football would feel the same. Therefore football fans who think its funny to sing about people who have been killed or seriously hurt havent really thought about what theyre singing. So what if Leeds and Liverpool sing about Munich and Man Utd sing about Hillsborough? Whats that got to with Brighton? We havent got an axe to grind with any of these clubs. The same hard boys who were singing it whilst wearing their replica kits were the same warriors who were covering their colours up before they dared leave the ground. Banter or winding up and then shitting yourselves you bottlers? Im not mentioning names here but anyone who knows or spoke to people who have been directly affected by events in Turkey on saturday will know what feelings this shit provoked in them. Whats brave; singing shit like this from hundreds of yards away safe ion the knowledge you cant get hurt or having the bottle to go to a game of football anyhwere in the world after being seriously injured by some no mark in Turkey?

Made twats of yourselves singing 'Theres only one Peter Ridsdale' as well didnt you? Eleven years after wed gone cap in hand to every club in the country asking for sympathy because a nasty man was being crule to us. Were not out the woods yet by a long chalk on that score. One Peter Ridsdale? As far as Leeds and a few other clubs are concerned if we keep up with this sort of shit, there might still be only one Bill Archer!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Enough has been said about the Istanbul rubbish, Im not going say too much further. Its not banter, 'Youre too ugly to be gay etc' is banter. I dont go to football to be killed and I dont want anyone else to go to football to be killed or seriously injured, and Im pretty sure that everyone who goes to football would feel the same. Therefore football fans who think its funny to sing about people who have been killed or seriously hurt havent really thought about what theyre singing. So what if Leeds and Liverpool sing about Munich and Man Utd sing about Hillsborough? Whats that got to with Brighton? We havent got an axe to grind with any of these clubs. The same hard boys who were singing it whilst wearing their replica kits were the same warriors who were covering their colours up before they dared leave the ground. Banter or winding up and then shitting yourselves you bottlers? Im not mentioning names here but anyone who knows or spoke to people who have been directly affected by events in Turkey on saturday will know what feelings this shit provoked in them. Whats brave; singing shit like this from hundreds of yards away safe ion the knowledge you cant get hurt or having the bottle to go to a game of football anyhwere in the world after being seriously injured by some no mark in Turkey?

Made twats of yourselves singing 'Theres only one Peter Ridsdale' as well didnt you? Eleven years after wed gone cap in hand to every club in the country asking for sympathy because a nasty man was being crule to us. Were not out the woods yet by a long chalk on that score. One Peter Ridsdale? As far as Leeds and a few other clubs are concerned if we keep up with this sort of shit, there might still be only one Bill Archer!

For God sake Pete, what is the point in trying to be rational on here!!!!

Possibly the best post on NSC EVER:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
like your avatar mate that went right over your head.

right

I am not saying it is right to sing about a murdered bloke. not singing a song does not necessarily make you a decent human being though but thats another thing.

what i am saying is that people are getting a bit up themselves here, and have to genuinely ask themselves whether bthey genuinely feel for the relatives or friends of the murdered bloke or if they are just giving it the biggun on a football website. i suspect the latter in a lot of cases.

I think you have it wrong. I simply cannot see any reason or excuse to sing a song at a football match about opposition fans being murdered. In my book, those people are scum.

Yes I do genuinely feel for anyone who has had a friend or relative murdered. As a couple on here have mentioned, would you not be incensed by oppostion fans singing a mocking song about Robert Eaton? He was murdered too, as was a lady who worked for the club.

Such a clever thing to sing songs about...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here