Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So called Brighton fans who sang about Istanbul!

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
I was thinking of starting going to away games again, so my son could get experience the atmosphere not present at Withdean. But if this is typical of what's going on now, then sod it.

Don't we want to be proud of who we support? Not just the players, but the support as well. A handful of people I can explain to my boy as a few ignorant people, but how I could I explain 300 out of 1,000 singing 'Istanbul' - and still expect him to be proud to support the Albion?

I wasn't too far from the singing and no way was it 300. I would say 20-30 tops, but even that was embarrassing.

Best chant of the day (although this was more for the confusion on the Leeds fans' faces): "Does your boyfriend know you're here?"

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Made twats of yourselves singing 'Theres only one Peter Ridsdale' as well didnt you? Eleven years after wed gone cap in hand to every club in the country asking for sympathy because a nasty man was being crule to us. Were not out the woods yet by a long chalk on that score. One Peter Ridsdale? As far as Leeds and a few other clubs are concerned if we keep up with this sort of shit, there might still be only one Bill Archer!

Jesus christ,what a load of bullshit that is.Nothing wrong with the Ridsdale chant.It's purely banter and thats it.Might as well sing f*** all against an opposition club to wind them up.Got f*** all to do with Archer etc.Thats football for you.
As for the Istanbul chant,big deal.I've heard songs like this all through my footballl career.Hull fans sung songs about 7/7,Millwall fans singing about Ken Bigley etc.Thats football for you.As for the fan who says sod it about not taking his son to an away game,get a f***ing grip.Where were you all these years when it was common to hear monkey chants at black players?
Bad tasting chants will always be part and parcel of football end of.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think you have it wrong. I simply cannot see any reason or excuse to sing a song at a football match about opposition fans being murdered. In my book, those people are scum.

Yes I do genuinely feel for anyone who has had a friend or relative murdered. As a couple on here have mentioned, would you not be incensed by oppostion fans singing a mocking song about Robert Eaton? He was murdered too, as was a lady who worked for the club.

Such a clever thing to sing songs about...
i think the point the spanish is trying to make is do we want football to become some sanitised sterile experience?, i go to chelsea a lot and the atmosphere now is shit compared to when we were , er ,shit.its full of the johnny come latelys that i suspect here are a lot of on this board.

p.s i also go to the albion as well !!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Jesus christ,what a load of bullshit that is.Nothing wrong with the Ridsdale chant.It's purely banter and thats it.Might as well sing f*** all against an opposition club to wind them up.Got f*** all to do with Archer etc.Thats football for you.
As for the Istanbul chant,big deal.I've heard songs like this all through my footballl career.Hull fans sung songs about 7/7,Millwall fans singing about Ken Bigley etc.Thats football for you.As for the fan who says sod it about not taking his son to an away game,get a f***ing grip.Where were you all these years when it was common to hear monkey chants at black players?
I agree with that getting all santimoneous about a Ridsdale chant is utterly laughable. Leeds are in division 3 as a consequence of his overspending. Big deal.

On the other hand Spencer, you're talking crap if you think some of the other stuff you're talking about is reasonable. Ken Bigley chants, 7/7, Hillsborough, monkey noises have no place in football. You'd have to be a complete moron not to be able to see that.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Made twats of yourselves singing 'Theres only one Peter Ridsdale' as well didnt you? Eleven years after wed gone cap in hand to every club in the country asking for sympathy because a nasty man was being crule to us. Were not out the woods yet by a long chalk on that score. One Peter Ridsdale? As far as Leeds and a few other clubs are concerned if we keep up with this sort of shit, there might still be only one Bill Archer!

Being part and parcel of football makes it right, does it? Quote as many examples as you like, sung by whatever club's supporters, they are still mindless, childish morons.

But I accept that they think it's clever and are proud of it because it probably impresses their equally moronic, pea-brained mates.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
i think the point the spanish is trying to make is do we want football to become some sanitised sterile experience?, i go to chelsea a lot and the atmosphere now is shit compared to when we were , er ,shit.its full of the johnny come latelys that i suspect here are a lot of on this board.

There is a whole lot of ground between a sanitised, sterile experience and Istanbul-type chants. What happened to the clever, very witty, but ultimately harmless chants that used to be so common? Thay could be a great part of the entertainment at a match. Have the wits disappeared so that lesser mortals have to resort to tragic events to be 'funny'?

Murder simply isn't funny.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I agree with that getting all santimoneous about a Ridsdale chant is utterly laughable. Leeds are in division 3 as a consequence of his overspending. Big deal.

On the other hand Spencer, you're talking crap if you think some of the other stuff you're talking about is reasonable. Ken Bigley chants, 7/7, Hillsborough, monkey noises have no place in football. You'd have to be a complete moron not to be able to see that.
Did i say it was reasonable? I said it wasn't a big deal.Alot the the time you have to be pretty thick skinned at football matches.Nothing suprises me at all or bothers me.Do me a favor about being a complete moron chap.The morons are the ones who get all upset at the slightest bad tasting chant.There's far worse things to worry about in life.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Did i say it was reasonable? I said it wasn't a big deal.Alot the the time you have to be pretty thick skinned at football matches.Nothing suprises me at all or bothers me.Do me a favor about being a complete moron chap.The morons are the ones who get all upset at the slightest bad tasting chant.There's far worse things to worry about in life.
I don't remember you being "thick skinned" when Abu Hamsa was pointing his hook at a congregation suggesting the British should be attacked in a holy water or whatever drivel it was he was spouting. There seems to be a lot of double standards in what you say.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I don't remember you being "thick skinned" when Abu Hamsa was pointing his hook at a congregation suggesting the British should be attacked in a holy water or whatever drivel it was he was spouting. There seems to be a lot of double standards in what you say.

Whats that got to do with football?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whats that got to do with football?
Nothing. But hey he didn't bother me personally so I'm happy for him to carry on spouting his drivel in whatever paper you read. You'll just have to grow a thicker skin as surely there are more important things to worry about.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I think you have it wrong. I simply cannot see any reason or excuse to sing a song at a football match about opposition fans being murdered. In my book, those people are scum.

Yes I do genuinely feel for anyone who has had a friend or relative murdered. As a couple on here have mentioned, would you not be incensed by oppostion fans singing a mocking song about Robert Eaton? He was murdered too, as was a lady who worked for the club.

Such a clever thing to sing songs about...

mate are you doing this on purpose?

where am i making excuses? for what its worth i think its c untish and embarassing as like tubby mondays says not many would front leeds out about it outside.

why bring someone elses name into it as an example?

you dont get what i am saying so thats the end of it.

i am of the school of thought you dont do that sort of thing, but also you dont wear your caring credentials on your sleeve or be a grief tourist. its not the done thing either.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

sort of bushy but the point i am trying to make really is that there are plenty of people who LOVE to show off about how upstanding and right thinking they are, even when you know they would not give the bloke the steam off their piss in real life. its part of our culture now pretending to be offended or upset.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Nothing. But hey he didn't bother me personally so I'm happy for him to carry on spouting his drivel in whatever paper you read. You'll just have to grow a thicker skin as surely there are more important things to worry about.
Gone from bad tasting chants to blood filled Islamic clerics now? Slightly out of touch you are there.Don't be an idiot on this subject mate.His so called drivel as you put it has that prat being banged up here and America wanting him too on terror related charges.Lets not be daft about this or stray away from the original topic.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
mate are you doing this on purpose?

where am i making excuses? for what its worth i think its c untish and embarassing as like tubby mondays says not many would front leeds out about it outside.

why bring someone elses name into it as an example?

you dont get what i am saying so thats the end of it.

i am of the school of thought you dont do that sort of thing, but also you dont wear your caring credentials on your sleeve or be a grief tourist. its not the done thing either.

I'm glad you agree that it was wrong, but your last paragraph misses the point.

I do CARE. I CARE that fellow Albion supporters can sink so low and, like others, I gave Robert Eaton as an example of one of us, because I think that right-minded Albion supporters would think it totally out-of-order if songs were sung about 9/11.

I didn't realise that caring about the behaviour of fellow supporters and the reputation of our club was 'not the done thing'. My apologies, but it is for me.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I'm glad you agree that it was wrong, but your last paragraph misses the point.

I do CARE. I CARE that fellow Albion supporters can sink so low and, like others, I gave Robert Eaton as an example of one of us, because I think that right-minded Albion supporters would think it totally out-of-order if songs were sung about 9/11.

I didn't realise that caring about the behaviour of fellow supporters and the reputation of our club was 'not the done thing'. My apologies, but it is for me.

again its like biggin hill airshow round here. woosh.

I don't remember people complaining to songs such as "you're gonna get your f***ing heads kicked in" "you're going home in a sussex ambulance" or "let him die, let him die, let him die"

Where is the line drawn at which songs are ok and which are not?

Or even "you're going in the sea", with all it's connotations of being stung by jellyfish, getting water up the nose or even being cut by glass caused by Fatboy Slim's concert. And even though I've lived in Notts for 29 years, I take exception to Sussex being spelt with a small "s".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here