Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Snow & school closures etc.

Oct 25, 2003
i work in a small office and everyone is off today, so being the lowly admin guy that i am without the responsibility of being allowed to open/close the office i'm sat at home watching the cricket

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Like me they can walk to their local railway station, get a train and the walk at the other end. For 80% of people this is perfectly possible. Most people not going to work are lazy, workshy, wimpy arseholes who should be the first in the firing line if redudancies strike at their employer.

Oh dear, does your 80% include people who require tools & ladders to do their job? I don't think I could carry it all to the train.
Tbh, I am thoroughly fed up that I can't work today as I won't be getting any money for it but had I made it to 'work' I wouldn't have been able to be on the internet having a go at people who couldn't get there themselves.

No offence like.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Oh dear, does your 80% include people who require tools & ladders to do their job? I don't think I could carry it all to the train.
Tbh, I am thoroughly fed up that I can't work today as I won't be getting any money for it but had I made it to 'work' I wouldn't have been able to be on the internet having a go at people who couldn't get there themselves.

No offence like.

You are self employed I guess so your choice. And if so I genuinely sympathise that you cannot earn today.

As for me on here? If more people were enquiring of me I would have less time on here. But seeing as 'most' of the world is on holiday.......

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I teach in Lewes. I got up today and drove into work for 7.30, by 9.00 there was a handful of staff and around 20 students. News then came through that the buses had been cancelled and sent back to their depot. A decision was made to shut the college.
The irony is I would have been better off not even bothering as I then had to battle back into Brighton on the roads.

My students have their 'AS' exam next Friday so this is actually really disruptive, I would much rather be at work and as others have said I will just have to cram twice as much in next week!

I would have to agree however that SOME people do not need much of an excuse to have the day off, there are some people that do not even attempt to get in to work.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
You are self employed I guess so your choice. And if so I genuinely sympathise that you cannot earn today.

As for me on here? If more people were enquiring of me I would have less time on here. But seeing as 'most' of the world is on holiday.......

I guess it was my choice in the fact that at 6.45 this morning I was already struggling up the A24. I could have chose to spend 4-5 hours getting to my job which then would have been impossible to do because of snow, then possibly struggled to get home at all from north Hampshire. I chose to go home, Lazy bastard that I am.

Seriously though, As some have already said, some people don't need much of an excuse but I think you do need to concede a bit.

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
Last year the school I teach at closed for two days because of the snow. The head teacher decided she would open the school on the third day, regardless of how much snow there was due to the amount of complaining done by parents. Sure enough we had further snowfall. The school opened and I can honestly say there were more staff in school than pupils. There is a real myth here about the majority of teachers not prepared to come in at the first sign of snow. Like Wilko, my classes have exams this month and next. Snow is the last thing we need. Many teachers feel this way.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
:lolol:
Quite possibly. Everyone over the next few days will whinge about how the country came to a halt and how badly prepared we are. If people got off their arses perhaps they would have less to whinge about.

PS Please tell me that you had a long way to travel to work today, or you are self employed, or you are working from home or are unemployed, or even at your workplace? As there was no snow south of the A27 in Southwick this morning.

Well im south of the A27 in Mile Oak and we had shed loads of snow this morning

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I work at a well known theme here,and to access it you use A roads before turning onto B roads (which are safe to drive on) being in the private sector it is open,however on my way to work i PASS a junior school surprise surprise it is closed. You see if it is that bad why dont hospital etc close ? :shrug: :wave:

It's a bit different between closing a school and closing a hospital. If you can't tell the difference then you are dumber than your post makes you appear.

Also, by theme, I presume you are referring to Alton Towers. The place is currently closed so you are not getting any custom and presumably any maintenance that is required on rides etc can't be done in this weather anyway!!!

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Who cares anyway? A couple of days off school is NOT going to make any difference in the general scheme of things IMO.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
I teach in Lewes. I got up today and drove into work for 7.30, by 9.00 there was a handful of staff and around 20 students. News then came through that the buses had been cancelled and sent back to their depot. A decision was made to shut the college.
The irony is I would have been better off not even bothering as I then had to battle back into Brighton on the roads.

My students have their 'AS' exam next Friday so this is actually really disruptive, I would much rather be at work and as others have said I will just have to cram twice as much in next week!

I would have to agree however that SOME people do not need much of an excuse to have the day off, there are some people that do not even attempt to get in to work.

What subject do you teach?
Sussex Downs College Lewes Campus?

ETC aka Hampden park secondary school

Grim.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Who cares anyway? A couple of days off school is NOT going to make any difference in the general scheme of things IMO.

I would normally agree but most A-level students have exams next week worth 40-50% of their result. Therefore this is a very, very disruptive period to lose essential teaching days.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sociology at Sussex downs Lewes.

Ah, Elizabeth Bott..Family and Social Network ..London families. All about the extended families, nuclear families etc.

Good old A level Sociology

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Trains useless as usual. Gave up on route to E Croydon. Took over 2 hours to get to Gatwick from Portslade where I (and most of the other passengers) got off and waited for a Brighton bound train. Funny there was nothing but slush in Brighton & Hove but a good 6 inches of snow from Burgess Hill onwards and it was still falling steadily. 3 hour pointless roundtrip, next time I'll skip the gallant attempt to get to work!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Ah, Elizabeth Bott..Family and Social Network ..London families. All about the extended families, nuclear families etc.

Good old A level Sociology

Don't teach 'the family' topic these days, that is some proper old school stuff you are quoting there mate :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here