Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Snow & school closures etc.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Like me they can walk to their local railway station, get a train and the walk at the other end. For 80% of people this is perfectly possible. Most people not going to work are lazy, workshy, wimpy arseholes who should be the first in the firing line if redudancies strike at their employer.

I dont normally take issue with people on here, BUT you sir are a wanker.

I live in Mile Oak. I work in Crawley, Leatherhead, Hounslow...all offices I drive to. Come to Mile Oak now into my close....explain to me a) how I get my car out of the drive B) how I get my car up my close C) how I get my car down to Graham Avenue D) how I get down Valley Road e) how I get on to the A27, F) how I get up the A23....etc etc

Perhaps you would like to call me a lazy, workshy, wimpy arsehole to my face...or is it big and clever to do it on an internet forum?

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Like me they can walk to their local railway station, get a train and the walk at the other end. For 80% of people this is perfectly possible. Most people not going to work are lazy, workshy, wimpy arseholes who should be the first in the firing line if redudancies strike at their employer.

But then with the attitude you are inferring they're even less likely to come in if they get a pay-off for it!

I just pray that after you have done a full days work today you get home ok. If not, well, bully for you.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick

No they cant, the trains arent running!

Dec 13, 2009
Newman is closed! No idea why but who gives a shit, a day in watchng the cricket for me, and maybe tomorrow.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing

You really believe that 80% of the population live and work within walking distance of a train?:dunce:

this teacher cant get in today... up n ready to go at normal time..road reports were dire....school open with limited service depending on how many make it in etc... not my choice...would prefer to be working. more of a headache to rearrange the curriculum and trying to play catch up at a later date!

Good call, I live in N.Lancing and too was ready to go in. Believe me it is more of a pain as I will have to crowbar what I planned to teach today into the coming weeks.

To be honest I think it is all now down to the blame culture. I do not remember my school closing at the mearest drop of a snow flake like they do these days (I am 40). I think schools are worried that kids/parents/teachers may sue if they fall over within the school bounderies etc so they play safe.

This is also true, however, we teachers haven't made this so called "blame culture".

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Perhaps you would like to call me a lazy, workshy, wimpy arsehole to my face...or is it big and clever to do it on an internet forum?

More than happy to meet you, in Mile Oak if you wish, outside my old house, I know what Mile Oak is like.

Perhaps you should read more carefully, especially at the words ' most people' and '80%'.

The trains are awful in this weather, before the worst of it came here it took my housemates 3 and a half hours to get from potsmouth to saintstown by the choo choo!!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

1. 80% of people do not live near train stations, and few of Brighton and Hove's schools are anywhere near train stations either.

2. Who is going to pay for 10,000+ kids to get the train to and from school? And where are the trains going to come from?

3. Why not let them have some fun? It doesn't happen every year...I only remember once or twice getting snow as a kid.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I have just closed my school. Half the teachers can't get in and the roads are awful here in deepest Somerset. It is not a decision taken lightly and involves numerous calls around 5.30 -6.30 to see what the situation is in all the villages where the children and staff live and a sleepless night peering out of the window and monitoring weather reports. I feel I have already done a day's work!!

Seconded, my wife is head of an Infants School and has had to ring dozens of people since 6AM to confirm the school is closed - and it will all start again around 4PM to see if the school is closed tomorrow.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Quite annoyed at Newman Sixth form being closed, have an exam in just over a week, and if this snow continues it doesnt look like melting, plus i really think i need those lessons!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
1. 80% of people do not live near train stations, and few of Brighton and Hove's schools are anywhere near train stations either.

2. Who is going to pay for 10,000+ kids to get the train to and from school? And where are the trains going to come from?

3. Why not let them have some fun? It doesn't happen every year...I only remember once or twice getting snow as a kid.

1. As in my earlier post, most people are within a couple of miles, as are most schools. Note the word 'most'.

2. Their parents obviously.

3. You possibly have a point about the kids but not the teachers.

All said and done the last really big snow in '82 lead to far less closures etc., I went to school and had a great time snowballing the teachers.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Am I the only one who has to work from home? I've already had two friends ask me if I'm coming down the pub and I'm thoroughly pissed off about it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
More than happy to meet you, in Mile Oak if you wish, outside my old house, I know what Mile Oak is like.

Perhaps you should read more carefully, especially at the words ' most people' and '80%'.

we can have a beer and discuss it!

To use language like "most people" and "80%" is something you have plucked out the air to justify your rerdiculous point. Where is your evidence?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here