Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Snow & school closures etc.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I have just checked the local BBC website to check for school closures,and quite frankly it is getting beyond joke,i accept some isolated village schools will need to close,however many are situated on gritted 'A' roads and there is simply no need for this scale of closure. Maybe if missed school days like this were put back into the school calander later in the year it might be a different matter. :shrug:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Why is it a joke? If the teachers don't make it in, what's the point in kids turning up?!

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
this teacher cant get in today... up n ready to go at normal time..road reports were dire....school open with limited service depending on how many make it in etc... not my choice...would prefer to be working. more of a headache to rearrange the curriculum and trying to play catch up at a later date!

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
City College closed to students, lecturers can go in to do admin stuff if they can get in.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I have just checked the local BBC website to check for school closures,and quite frankly it is getting beyond joke,i accept some isolated village schools will need to close,however many are situated on gritted 'A' roads and there is simply no need for this scale of closure. Maybe if missed school days like this were put back into the school calander later in the year it might be a different matter. :shrug:

And do all the kids, teachers and other essential staff also live on gritted A roads?

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
To be honest I think it is all now down to the blame culture. I do not remember my school closing at the mearest drop of a snow flake like they do these days (I am 40). I think schools are worried that kids/parents/teachers may sue if they fall over within the school bounderies etc so they play safe.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Apart from all the reasons already mentioned on this thread(Buses not going ect), more snow is expected all day so what if they went to school and couldn't get back? :shrug:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
And do all the kids, teachers and other essential staff also live on gritted A roads?

Like me they can walk to their local railway station, get a train and the walk at the other end. For 80% of people this is perfectly possible. Most people not going to work are lazy, workshy, wimpy arseholes who should be the first in the firing line if redudancies strike at their employer.

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
I have just closed my school. Half the teachers can't get in and the roads are awful here in deepest Somerset. It is not a decision taken lightly and involves numerous calls around 5.30 -6.30 to see what the situation is in all the villages where the children and staff live and a sleepless night peering out of the window and monitoring weather reports. I feel I have already done a day's work!!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
To be honest I think it is all now down to the blame culture. I do not remember my school closing at the mearest drop of a snow flake like they do these days (I am 40). I think schools are worried that kids/parents/teachers may sue if they fall over within the school bounderies etc so they play safe.

Part of the reason is that there hasn't been this amount of snow for a very long time. I'm 32 and grew up in Sussex and never lost one single day to snow over my school time. Also, many more teachers now live longer distances from their schools which makes it much more difficult for them to get in in extreme weather.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Its the "risk assessment " culture

People are paranoid now about being sued!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Blatch is closed! :clap2: however, i'm actually pretty gutted, since AS Modulars are just over a week today and i seriously needed help in todays lesson... oh well. Snow day it is.

to answer, teachers live further away, our previous, old and creepy head teacher lived in Kent. He wouldn't be able to make it in for example. Lots of teachers live out of county. Seconldy, we have people at college and in the lowerschool who live out of town, unable to make it in, i know a majority (me included) could walk it, but if there are not enough teachers:studendts ration then it can't open. Simples.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
All teachers live in large mansions deep in the countryside and do not want to put the chauffeur at risk by bringing the Bentley out to take them to Bash Street where the horrid schoolkids will pelt them with snowballs with doggie-doos in them.

No,better to stay in the warm and check those investments made with the massive surplus from the excessive pay cheque.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here