Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Snow - love it or hate it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Simple rule of thumb: if your age is greater than your shoe size then snow is a pain in the arse (or whatever body part you happen to fall on, courtesy of grit-free pavements). And I don't just speak as one who is just back from spending two days at Gatwick instead of seven days in the Canaries. Oh, hang on, I DO :angry:

-and always, but always, ending with the words "but amidst all the chaos, at least the local children found time to enjoy the conditions" followed by a montage of rosy-cheeked cherubs on sledges declaring that "I...like the snow...because...it's....good".

:lolol:

I do like it, the whole town just has that eerie alien world look about it. But I wanted to go out on the razzle tonight but am worried about getting home.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It's OK however must be damaging the economy very badly except for energy companies who must be laughing their socks off.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I used to like it, but I don't like it in this country as you're not great at coping. Everywhere else I've lived where it snows, everyone gets out in the snow shortly after it starts falling and keeps the important parts clear (footpaths in particular). They don't wait til they've had a whole nights dump and then try and clear it when its turned to ice. I don't mean the main streets either, I mean the locals, having salt bins to clear and spread on their own streets. Where nothing much stops because of a little white stuff.

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
I used to like it, but I don't like it in this country as you're not great at coping. Everywhere else I've lived where it snows, everyone gets out in the snow shortly after it starts falling and keeps the important parts clear (footpaths in particular). They don't wait til they've had a whole nights dump and then try and clear it when its turned to ice. I don't mean the main streets either, I mean the locals, having salt bins to clear and spread on their own streets. Where nothing much stops because of a little white stuff.

Where you from then?

Truth is that this hardly ever happens here. When we get disruption it's usually only for a day - never normally to this extent.

There's no point in investing in prevention for things that rarely happen.

And anyway - the disruption is just too much fun :clap2::clap2:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I'm Australian - worked in NY for years, and also lived in Oregon and Washington State when I was younger. Travelled for work to Canada, and Europe...

The disruption is annoying when it isn't necessary....

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
I'm Australian - worked in NY for years, and also lived in Oregon and Washington State when I was younger. Travelled for work to Canada, and Europe...

The disruption is annoying when it isn't necessary....

Those places probably see these types of conditions much more regularly than we do here.

But if there's global climate change going on, I'm up for colder winters with more snow - may be worth investing in preventative measures then.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Those places probably see these types of conditions much more regularly than we do here.

But if there's global climate change going on, I'm up for colder winters with more snow - may be worth investing in preventative measures then.

True but the one thing I notice that differs the most is the time in reacting to the weather. As soon as the snow starts falling in most other places I've lived, you see things roll into action, and continue to happen in regular intervals. Even in upstate New York locals shovelling snow off their own street BEFORE it turns to ice. We don't seem to take it seriously when it starts and then are always playing catch up...

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
True but the one thing I notice that differs the most is the time in reacting to the weather. As soon as the snow starts falling in most other places I've lived, you see things roll into action, and continue to happen in regular intervals. Even in upstate New York locals shovelling snow off their own street BEFORE it turns to ice. We don't seem to take it seriously when it starts and then are always playing catch up...

Yeah - I guess over here we just look at it and expect someone else to deal with it!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Down in Sussex growing up it was great, off school and over the road to the church fields slegding couldn't be better. In London completely the opposite, a bloody annoyance. A combination of people thinking the world is ending and a complete breakdown of the infrastructure. Cockneys and snow don't mix which is surprising since they all have us believe they used to venture down to the Tesco Metro on the frozen Thames. Bugger all snow but the roads round here are like an ice rink, I wish I was in the country enjoying it or lying on a beach.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Agree with all Edna said. When it first snows it's lovely but after a while it gets to be a pain in the backside.
Interestingly enough I was raeding that in Minnesota I think it is a state byelaw that you HAVE to clear the snow from in front of your house within 24 hours or you get a warning then a fine. Now in the UK people don't do this because they're afraid of someone slipping over and sueing them - which is an American trait !! Bit topsy turvy really

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here