Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Snow - love it or hate it?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I love:

-the eerie silence that falls over your part of the world when it's snowed heavily, when there are few hard surfaces left for sound to echo from and hardly any cars to disturb the peace

-being the first person to put your footprints in a patch of fresh snow

-when it's snowed really heavily and the trees have that cotton wool look about them

-when you're driving into it at night, not the actual driving part but the way the snow rushes towards your headlights and it looks like the bit in Star Wars when they go into hyperspace (or something like that: girl alert) :lolol:

-the squashy feeling underfoot of walking on new snow

But I don't like:

-when it goes all grey and slushy from being trodden or driven on

-when it turns to ice

-that miserable, half melted phase when it's neither snowy nor clear.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm a bit fed up with it now. Its a pain in the ARSE trying to get to Haywards Heath for work. Roads are shit. Trains are shit (although I've gone in every day other than Thursday, when I stayed home and watched The Wire on dvd).

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
I love:

-the eerie silence that falls over your part of the world when it's snowed heavily, when there are few hard surfaces left for sound to echo from and hardly any cars to disturb the peace

-being the first person to put your footprints in a patch of fresh snow

-when it's snowed really heavily and the trees have that cotton wool look about them

-when you're driving into it at night, not the actual driving part but the way the snow rushes towards your headlights and it looks like the bit in Star Wars when they go into hyperspace (or something like that: girl alert) :lolol:

-the squashy feeling underfoot of walking on new snow

But I don't like:

-when it goes all grey and slushy from being trodden or driven on

-that miserable, half melted phase when it's neither snowy nor clear.

Beautifully put.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
bloody hate the snow much prefer it cold ,snow just makes my life hell i spend all day chasing my tail and getting nowhere at work.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The other thing I'm not keen on is the formulaic news reporting of the cold snap, in which it is written in stone that every bulletin must feature at least one of the following:

-A comparison with the temperature in Moscow/Siberia/the South Pole.

-Images of penguins at London Zoo wearing coats, or Longleat's entire cast of equatorial creatures huddling forlornly in the frozen fields.

-Crap viewer photos of a thousand identical-but-rubbish snowmen and icicles forming on Vauxhall Astras

-a reporter standing by the side of a trunk road in which a couple of cars have got stuck, interviewing moaning motorists who shouldn't have gone out in the first place, all blaming their local council for their own stupidity

-a flustered local council official stating they are working "around the clock" to find a solution

-footage of a cheery local tradesman going the extra mile to help out grateful old ladies

-and always, but always, ending with the words "but amidst all the chaos, at least the local children found time to enjoy the conditions" followed by a montage of rosy-cheeked cherubs on sledges declaring that "I...like the snow...because...it's....good".

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
:lolol:
Edna, you put things so perfectly sometimes.

Or I am just becoming a grouchy, cynical old woman? :p

That said, watch the next news bulletin and play Spotters Guide. You knows it :thumbsup:

chinners

Aug 27, 2009
Brighton
I hate it when it rarely happens the whole of britian stops

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
-Images of penguins at London Zoo wearing coats, or Longleat's entire cast of equatorial creatures huddling forlornly in the frozen fields.

Like this:

ralph-bald-penguin.jpg

lions_in_the_snow.jpg

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
The other thing I'm not keen on is the formulaic news reporting of the cold snap, in which it is written in stone that every bulletin must feature at least one of the following:

-A comparison with the temperature in Moscow/Siberia/the South Pole.

-Crap viewer photos of a thousand identical-but-rubbish snowmen and icicles forming on Vauxhall Astras

-a reporter standing by the side of a trunk road in which a couple of cars have got stuck, interviewing moaning motorists who shouldn't have gone out in the first place, all blaming their local council for their own stupidity

-a flustered local council official stating they are working "around the clock" to find a solution

-footage of a cheery local tradesman going the extra mile to help out grateful old ladies

-and always, but always, ending with the words "but amidst all the chaos, at least the local children found time to enjoy the conditions" followed by a montage of rosy-cheeked cherubs on sledges declaring that "I...like the snow...because...it's....good".

The last news report I saw had every single element you mentioned! (apart from the penguins). Oh and it might not have been a Vauxhall Astra.

Absolute genius Edna. Are you an observational comedian?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Edna is the Jack Dee of NSC

(ooh, that rhymed and everything)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Like this:

ralph-bald-penguin.jpg

lions_in_the_snow.jpg

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

(The opposite formula applies in the summer, when The Sun breathlessly exclaims that Southend was HOTTER THAN ATHENS! accompanied by photos of stressed-looking polar bears being fed ice lollies at Whipsnade, and wall to wall bikinis lining Brighton beach from the bottom of West Street to the Palace Pier)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And notice I spelt 'rhymed' correctly.
I can also type 'tongue'.

Available at weekends.

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
(The opposite formula applies in the summer, when The Sun breathlessly exclaims that Southend was HOTTER THAN ATHENS! accompanied by photos of stressed-looking polar bears being fed ice lollies at Whipsnade, and wall to wall bikinis lining Brighton beach from the bottom of West Street to the Palace Pier)

Funny thing is that I've watched these reports year in year out without ever noticing that it's the same every year!

Thanks for waking me up Edna!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I like it ,when you get up early. First person on the chair lift. Get off, up another lift. Then your on top of the mountain all on your own, the sun is shining and just beginning to warm up, it's still low on the horizon. stand and look around for five minutes at the view that goes on and on to the distant mountains covered in snow.
Poodle to the top of your favorite run, and just pole off down floating on a thin crust of powder that has no tracks on it.
Snow, what's not to like?

Spot on

i like it ,when you get up early. First person on the chair lift. Get off, up another lift. Then your on top of the mountain all on your own, the sun is shining and just beginning to warm up, it's still low on the horizon. Stand and look around for five minutes at the view that goes on and on to the distant mountains covered in snow.
Poodle to the top of your favorite run, and just pole off down floating on a thin crust of powder that has no tracks on it.
Snow, what's not to like?

and the silence

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here