Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Smug Eddie - 'very unjust'

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hayden was slightly brushed by his own player and was clearly trying to halt a dangerous Liverpool attack by going down. Players are doing this far too often these days. I’m no Mike Dean fan but he was right to play on here.

I agree.

Funnily enough I have had a smug eddie bypass in that I never had any beef with him, but I laughed my tits off watching last night. There was another episode where one of their players got bumped on the shoulder and went down clutching his face. The absolute prat.

I hope they go down :shrug:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I dont think its so much in the last 5 mins that people are that concerned about, however frustrating that is. Wolves seemed to be timewasting almost from the start, players going down to stop attacks, snails pace going off for subs, goal kicks taking forever,other teams are guilty of it, and Im sure so are Brighton on occasion, but Wolves and a few others seem to have elevated it to an art form

spot on ....there player who was down 4 times should have been substituted to protect him from himself. Referee was very week and its this sort of activity that the 4th ref should be picking up rather than whether there is a touch which i needed 50 views to see or someone's toe was offside.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
extra points for when the player in question does the whole 'checking inside of mouth for blood' act.

Each weekend they should have a highlight reel of players doing this as well as holding their heads when there was no contact.

If a physio comes on and has to go through the support the neck and stabilise the player routine (with other physio) then a mandatory check at a suitable medical location follows. Because at points it's embarassing.
Agreed. It is a shocking mess and the officials have to get a grip.

I know that most of our players do it as well if we are winning a game... it has become pretty much standard practice for a defender clearing a cross to the edge of the box (i.e. where opponents have a potential threat) to go down clutching his head if at all possible.

Given that we were never wanting to waste time on Weds night I don't think our physio went on once in 105 minutes - quite a coincidence!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Disagree, like many others. You seem holier than thou. Just because you have a million posts does make anyone here listen to your dumb learnings. I hate time wasting and sure, our players slow things down when we are trying to protect a lead but not to the point where the Wolves players executed it to the point where they were better at it than their actual playing.

Sorry but [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] is right. (Not sure why you're playing the man, here, either; 'holier than thou' is not the first description that springs to mind when I think of him - world weary and cynical with the last distillate of sense of humour just about visible at the bottom of the near-empty glass, more like :lolol:)

Personally I didn't notice Wolves timewasting in the way that Newcastle were cheating last night. I was more angry with the sitter we missed and the soft goal we conceded than the alleged antics of the Wolves players :shrug:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's an art form that's working better for them than 85% accurate passes is working for GPott.

I agree - Time wasting and implementing ways of slowing the game down is a tactic that 80% of Managers implement when playing either against the Top Sides in the division or playing away from home.

They are told to do it to stop the better sides building momentum and slowing the pace of the game. Sides also do it when playing away from home to try toe quieten the home crowd down a bit in an effort to try and stop them getting behind their team. It's a pain in the arse to have to put up with if you want the get behind your team but the majority of Managers implement it at some point or in some situations during the course of a season.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Sorry but [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] is right. (Not sure why you're playing the man, here, either; 'holier than thou' is not the first description that springs to mind when I think of him - world weary and cynical with the last distillate of sense of humour just about visible at the bottom of the near-empty glass, more like :lolol:)

Personally I didn't notice Wolves timewasting in the way that Newcastle were cheating last night. I was more angry with the sitter we missed and the soft goal we conceded than the alleged antics of the Wolves players :shrug:

Start with the player who was fouled off the pitch and came back on to the pitch to sit down to feign injury to prevent us taking a quick corner and next minute running around as though nothing was amiss. Then fell over again. Then again .

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It was some really cynical cheating from Newcastle. Blatant, and Mike Dean was having none of it. Well played that man.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Right, so we play with a deep lying midfielder, known as a "pivot" - Bissouma. What is meant to happen is, the centre backs split, the wing backs push forward to occupy the opposition wingers, and the centre backs pass into the pivot, who then look for a wide pass, or a ball into the attacking midfielder. When this pass is consistently not available, the second midfielder will drop too, and become a "double pivot", to give us another option.

What teams have worked out is if they have their midfielders fairly high, they can stand on the pivot(s) and deny our key out ball. Meanwhile, one of their strikers presses the centre back in possession, and the other attacking player(s) cut the passing lanes.

This leaves two options;

1. Keep possession, moving the opposition from side to side, looking for the short out ball. Essentially this often involves a risk of dispossession, given that the pivot is receiving the ball back to goal. This is why we see the following pattern of play:

Dunk short pass to Duffy, back to Dunk, looks forward, sees both Lallana and Groß man marked. Sees striker closing him down. Turn and pass back to Sanchez.

Sanchez plays either short pass out to free defender (usually Veltman, or whoever is playing at right centre back), or if there is no pass available, sends the ball long. Ball is lost, as we have no physical presence without Welbeck.

2. The "free" centre back is able to advance, and aim a direct diagonal pass for either Lamptey or Cucurella to chase. This is our main method of gaining territory, due to their pace. We then win a throw in, and attempt to "play our style" from within their half, while they have everyone behind the ball.

At this point, our play depends on how much they press and how low their block is - IE. how deep they sit and defend.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I agree - Time wasting and implementing ways of slowing the game down is a tactic that 80% of Managers implement when playing either against the Top Sides in the division or playing away from home.

They are told to do it to stop the better sides building momentum and slowing the pace of the game. Sides also do it when playing away from home to try toe quieten the home crowd down a bit in an effort to try and stop them getting behind their team. It's a pain in the arse to have to put up with if you want the get behind your team but the majority of Managers implement it at some point or in some situations during the course of a season.

Yes time wasting works and gives you advantages, just like diving (or rather find some leg to fall over) or falling over to get free kicks, and a bunch of other "clever" cheats. Just because it works doesnt mean it should be accepted. In the long run it will make less people watch and play football.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Brilliant (but fkn risky) tackle by Trent. Walton said on BT Sport that it was Fraser who initiated contact between the players.

Strange how Hayden got a head injury, in the melee slow mo's showed his head brushed past the butt of one of his players. Cheating modern players immediately claim a head injury, due to the cheating instructions of tossers such as Howe, Arteta and Lage.

Well done Mike Dean.

Spoilt brat Howe is trying the create a circle the wagons, the world's against us, atmosphere.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Brilliant (but fkn risky) tackle by Trent. Walton said on BT Sport that it was Fraser who initiated contact between the players.

Cheating modern players immediately claim a head injury, due to the cheating instructions of tossers such as Howe, Arteta and Lage.

Well done Mike Dean.

There's far too much of this going on ... and seems to be on the increase. Mike Dean was absolutely right to allow play to continue.

As someone else has suggested, MotD etc should put a montage together each week and embarrass the cheats ... and then maybe get the players concerned - or their managers - to comment!

Of course, the 'experts' on MotD last night were unanimous in saying Dean should have stopped play!! :facepalm:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There's far too much of this going on ... and seems to be on the increase. Mike Dean was absolutely right to allow play to continue.

As someone else has suggested, MotD etc should put a montage together each week and embarrass the cheats ... and then maybe get the players concerned - or their managers - to comment!

Of course, the 'experts' on MotD last night were unanimous in saying Dean should have stopped play!! :facepalm:

The old players union, faux concern for a play acting liar.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have no idea why this is being discussed as a new thing.
&
Why posters think The Albion are immune from such things.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Yes time wasting works and gives you advantages, just like diving (or rather find some leg to fall over) or falling over to get free kicks, and a bunch of other "clever" cheats. Just because it works doesnt mean it should be accepted. In the long run it will make less people watch and play football.

It used to be passing the ball back to the keeper who would then pick it up and wait a few seconds before punting it up field. That never put anyone off playing or watching football and nor will this, in fact if you grew up playing football in Brighton then the local league pitches made time wasting one of the easiest things to do. Punt the ball down a hill, take a slow walk to retrieve a ball that had gone out of play and was probably stuck in a bush.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So your options are either:

Hayden was faking a head injury which, given the current discourse around concussions in football, is absolutely shocking behaviour as it means real head injuries will go unnoticed; or

He had a head injury and Howe and his medical staff are entirely negligent by letting him continue playing without proper checks while dazed. If so, your medical staff should be sacked on the spot for endangering Hayden’s safety.

Which one is it, Eddie?

His latest quote makes it even worse : “He was dazed for four, five minutes after the game. It’s a dangerous moment where we have to think of the player’s safety.”

Take him off then, you ****.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It used to be passing the ball back to the keeper who would then pick it up and wait a few seconds before punting it up field. That never put anyone off playing or watching football and nor will this, in fact if you grew up playing football in Brighton then the local league pitches made time wasting one of the easiest things to do. Punt the ball down a hill, take a slow walk to retrieve a ball that had gone out of play and was probably stuck in a bush.

Sure but what was the option? A stick and a wheel?

I'm sure the kids back in 1800 thought that in a hundred years all kids would still throw horseshit on eachother or whatever people did back then but then sports came along and horseshit throwing diminished. Football cant be taken for granted. If football turns into a boring time wasting competition the kids in 50 years will be ****ing and killing in VR worlds instead of go outside playing football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here