Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smudger

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The thing is we set up pretty negatively in my opinion with CMS up front on his own most of the time. Barnes isn`t really playing alongside him is he ? But dropping off into midfield. When he does get chances which come along so rarely he is snatching at them somewhat.
If he gets a proper partner upfront or when Gus decides his midfield can cope and we push another properly alongside him then I`ll start judging whether or not he is good enough. The jury is out though on him at the moment I would say. I`m not sure either way really.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
CMS and Vokes together is the way forward.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
What we really need to do is start playing to his strengths & provide him with decent service - then I'm sure he will score plenty for us.

Stumpy Tim

Not this old chestnut again. it's getting tired. For what it's worth, my main gripe with CMS is his inability to hold the ball up. I expect that for £2.5m or £3.5m. Vokes needs to start for us, and then it's one of CMS or Barnes to play the second slightly withdrawn striker

We should have sold him to Reading when we had the chance IMO.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
More importantly when did we start referring to him as Smudger?

Saw it mentioned on a thread last night and thought who the f*** is Smudger!?!?

I can't keep up with you wacky kids!

I think the guy who posts on here as "Smudger" might be offended by all the references to him on this thread. To be fair CMS has been missing a lot of chances so, as much as it pains me to say it, this is always going to be a legitimate debate until he gets his early season form back.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
More importantly when did we start referring to him as Smudger?

Saw it mentioned on a thread last night and thought who the f*** is Smudger!?!?

I can't keep up with you wacky kids!

I have heard both Gus and Charlie refer to him as Smudger.

Back to the topic. He needs proper service, we are getting there slowly. I think anyone saying we need to get rid of anyone, is frankly ridiculous. Look exactly where the team are in the League, and tell me truthfully, would you have expected that, before the start of the season?

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
(1) 2.5million actually.
(2) Yes, yes we are blaming the team. When a striker is spending 99% of his time chasing long balls at the corner flag or dropping deep and closing down midfielders, how exactly do you propose he scores? No, really. What are you suggesting?

I'd agree if your point was "his finishing isn't great" which would be a valid criticism, he isn't the most clinical in the world. BUT when he gets one half-chance per game, I personally don't particularly blame him for snatching at it. If he scored every chance he got he'd be playing in the f***ing Champions League.

Essentially you're just one of these jumped up 'fans' who only sees black and white, never a shade of grey. A player to you is either (1) amazing, or (2) shit. That in itself makes you barely worthy of anyone's attention. I don't really know why I took your bait actually- I guess maybe it's just your f***ing constant stream of blinkered frustrated negativity that got to me. Here's an idea: cheer up you miserable sod.

this

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
So long as Barnes and Navarro continue to be named in the team, service to CMS will be little to zero. If i was CMS and i looked behind me to find those 2 were my supply line I would feel pretty depressed.

Not slagging Barnes off as I feel he can offer us something different and I dont feel we have found his right position yet, but Navarro is pony

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here