Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking in public in Scotland is going to be illegal

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:

If you find a pub too smokey then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Exactly, there's loads of pubs that aren't smoky or have smoking areas and stuff. Piss off there if you don't like the smoke.

:smokin:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Exactly, there's loads of pubs that aren't smoky or have smoking areas and stuff. Piss off there if you don't like the smoke.

:smokin:
As a non-smoker I ...... totally agree. A blanket ban on smoking in public places is wrong and makes a mockery of any govermeent claptrap about choice, liberty and personal responsibility. By all means have non-smoking bars but these should be VOLUNTARY not compulsory. I too hate coming home smelling like an ashtray but rather that than this attempt to turn Britain into a glorified health farm.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
yep agree Brovian, well said!

Just for interest, in Ireland apparently, most pubs now have covered outside areas with those big indistrial heaters - so basically the pub and atmosphere has moved outside....

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Because all my friends smoke, I'm outside most of the time as well - I haven't been inside my local for about 5 months, except to go to the bog - floorstaff are outside every few minutes to do orders.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's a fake argument that it's all down to a infringing a smoker's freedom of choice. As soon as they invent a cigarette with smoke that wraps itself like clingfilm round a smoker's body, then, great, your choice, smoke on! Until then, it's as welcome as a fart in a lift.

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The argument about exhaust fumes is stupid as we all rely on the transport system one way or another whether it's movement of goods or getting to work etc. Fags are just for yourself and yourself only however you don't just restrict the smoke to yourself do you?.

I'm just sitting back smugly watching all the faggers up in arms because they are no longer allowed to puff their benzine, one of the most toxic substances known, into the air for everyone else to breath.

It's gonna happen mateys get used to it and get over it

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Easy 10 said:
If you find a pub too smokey then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Unless of course you happen to work in a pub. In which case you stand a higher-than-otherwise chance of dying from some deadly shit put into yer lungs by somebody you barely even know :dunce:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tom Hark said:
Unless of course you happen to work in a pub. In which case you stand a higher-than-otherwise chance of dying from some deadly shit put into yer lungs by somebody you barely even know :dunce:
So do something else for a living.

Its all about C-H-O-I-C-E

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
There was an Irish woman on the radio the other day saying that not only did pubs in Dublin not have any people in them, but they smelled of Jeyes Fluid.

I'm not sure, on the grand scheme of things, whether this is better, or whether it'll just turn pubs into enormous empty atmos-free chasms.

Still, should make getting a seat in the Uisge Beatha* easier.

*Pronounced "Oo-ishga Bar". Glasgow's best pub. Fact.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Easy 10 said:
So do something else for a living.

Its all about C-H-O-I-C-E

Bit of a non-argument as far as jobs go. Not everyone has the CHOICE of leaving a job and walking straight into another for whatever reason. I could understand using that argument about the punters.
Non-smokers have had to put up with smokers for so long, now it's the smokers turn to be shat on for a while until we reach a compromise (long after I'm gone hopefully).
If you want to use the choice argument then this would be a fairer summation. People have the choice whether to smoke or not in a pub. I don't have the choice whether or not to breathe in second-hand smoke. And before you say choose to go somewhere else, theres no reason I should be forced to choose an alternative venue because of other peoples ant-scial behaviour.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If this absurd law ever gets passed in England, I truly fear for the future of the 'Local'. Where I go (the Kings Head, Fishersgate) the landlord is already struggling. Supermarket prices mean you can buy a 4-pack of of Stella, a pint each, for £6. Pubs just can't compete with that. I was down there tonight with a couple of mates from 6 till 8, and we were the only ones in there all night. He opened up for us, and he locked up after we were gone, and not a soul came in between. Between me, my mates and the landlord (a blinding bloke) we have a damn good evening, but the fella is making about £30 all night from us.

Midweeks are always quiet...he makes his money at weekends. BUT - you ban smokers, and you'll be driving more and more people to stay at home with their cheap supermarket beer and their ciggies. Before you know it, all we'll have left is f***ing Yates, Wetherspoons, and soulless synthetic poncy bars to drink in.

I'm speaking as a non-smoker here. Banning smoking in pubs would be a DISASTER for many, many locals. Tell people they're not allowed to smoke in a bar and they just won't bother going, and I don't blame them. For christs sake, what would you prefer...a lively bar full of atmosphere, abeit with some smoke...or a next-to-empty bar populated by nothing more than a handful of pasty-looking vegan nazi's who are too precious to put up with some other people daring to have a cigarette in their presence ?

If its too smokey then go somewhere else. But at least leave people the choice, before killing off pubs as we know them.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
f***ing smokers, they always get excited when this subject crops up. Listen, as well as having brown fingers, yellow teeth & breath like a buffalo's fart, you're a health hazard, fact.
If New York can do it, I'm sure we can. Pub's are for drinking, they hold a license to sell ale.

Remember Roy Castle? He was given 6 months to live, but he died in 4.......'cos he's a record breaker!! :lolol:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Easy 10 said:

I'm speaking as a non-smoker here. Banning smoking in pubs would be a DISASTER for many, many locals. Tell people they're not allowed to smoke in a bar and they just won't bother going, and I don't blame them. For christs sake, what would you prefer...a lively bar full of atmosphere, abeit with some smoke...or a next-to-empty bar populated by nothing more than a handful of pasty-looking vegan nazi's who are too precious to put up with some other people daring to have a cigarette in their presence ?

If its too smokey then go somewhere else. But at least leave people the choice, before killing off pubs as we know them.

People will still go out because they want to go out. I've been going to pubs for 10 years and don't smoke so why have I been going there?
And why do non-smokers have to be "pasty-looking vegan nazi's who are too precious to put up with some other people daring to have a cigarette in their presence". You might find pub trade will eventually increase as they bring in punters who don't go because it's too smoky. The Irish pub trade only went down about 15% and it's supposed to be on it's way back up again so it's not all doom and gloom.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Easy 10 said:

Oh yeah, and the point is that for non-smokers there is no CHOICE because everywhere is smoky.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Rangdo said:
Bit of a non-argument as far as jobs go. Not everyone has the CHOICE of leaving a job and walking straight into another for whatever reason. I could understand using that argument about the punters.
Its not a non-argument at all. If you don't want to work in a smokey atmosphere, then here's the plan. DON'T GET A JOB IN A BAR.

Non-smokers have had to put up with smokers for so long, now it's the smokers turn to be shat on for a while until we reach a compromise (long after I'm gone hopefully).
If you want to use the choice argument then this would be a fairer summation. People have the choice whether to smoke or not in a pub. I don't have the choice whether or not to breathe in second-hand smoke. And before you say choose to go somewhere else, theres no reason I should be forced to choose an alternative venue because of other peoples ant-scial behaviour.
People go out to pubs to relax and have a good time. I am lucky enough to have a fairly wide circle of friends, and we often go out in a group. 2 of those friends are smokers, and they will smoke, in our presence, throughout the evening. It has absolutely NO BEARING on my enjoyment of the evening. They are not puffing it in my face, or anyone elses, and none of us even notice it. Obviously there are other people around smoking as well, and if you were determined to make an issue of it, then no doubt you could.

But the next time you are in a bar, take a look around you. See how many non-smokers appear to be in discomfort, or unhappy at the smoke around them. Try to gauge how much other people smoking in the bar is RUINING the non-smokers evening. I think, if you're honest, you'd see that far from tolerating it, they barely even notice it. But you'd still be willing to BAN these people completely for smoking ?

Bollocks. Live and let live. This holier-than-thou attitude towards smokers sucks, and it will be the DEATH of pubs in this country if an outright ban ever comes in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here