Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking ban - something I didn't consider!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I agree with the type of workplaces which you refer to - 100%...

My sadness about this ban refers specifically to private establishments where people are invited in (ie pubs/clubs) and the landlord/owner has now been told he cannot allow something which I believe it should be his right to choose. You choose to work in a pub or club knowing that people smoke...people always have done!

I worked in a pub as it was the only tempary work I could get and hated the smoke but had no choice as I needed the money. Much happier now the smoke has left. I will concide tho out right ban is too much maybe treat it as alcohol and if land lords/ladies want a smoking pub then they have to get a licence and then ppl can choose if they want to go into a smokey pub or not.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I worked in a pub as it was the only tempary work I could get and hated the smoke but had no choice as I needed the money. Much happier now the smoke has left. I will concide tho out right ban is too much maybe treat it as alcohol and if land lords/ladies want a smoking pub then they have to get a licence and then ppl can choose if they want to go into a smokey pub or not.

Thats the point I'm trying to get to - I think that the government has taken the right to choose away from us.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Thats the point I'm trying to get to - I think that the government has taken the right to choose away from us.

I agree. What is wrong with having smoking and non smoking pubs? Everyone including the staff would know the score. Then people have a choice.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Underarm deodorant has been proved to be a greater risk for breast cancer because of the aluminium in the ingredients.

When you think about it, that can't be right...proof?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
When you think about it, that can't be right...proof?

My work colleague and another friend who have been told by their doctors. They are both in remission from breast cancer. Very often after a mastectomy the lymph nodes under the armpit are removed as well and it has been shown that deodorants have an effect on the lymph nodes.

Apr 4, 2004
New York City
will be nice going to pub one night.. and being able to wear the jumper i wore that night, the following day (because it doesnt smell like an ashtray)
:drink: heres the the governement infringing peoples rights!!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I agree. What is wrong with having smoking and non smoking pubs? Everyone including the staff would know the score. Then people have a choice.

Fi fi fi fi I said that earlier !

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Its very very right unfortunately! There is also an issue with sun cream having a metal in it - can't remember right now off the top of my head - but it isn't great for you....

f*** me, I had the same debate with an aussie bloke in the walkabout only this arvo..I says, "apparently deodorant is as bad as smoking...and he said..."bollocks"..then we watched the grand prix as one. surely if if dove deo was as bad as a pack of Bensons a day we would know about it????

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
f*** me, I had the same debate with an aussie bloke in the walkabout only this arvo..I says, "apparently deodorant is as bad as smoking...and he said..."bollocks"..then we watched the grand prix as one. surely if if dove deo was as bad as a pack of Bensons a day we would know about it????

Have you had breast cancer? I'm not being funny as men can get it too.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Having just come back from a very pleasant visit to the Lewes Arms, I have to say that the pub smells so much better nowadays. It also didn't really occur to me to get riled up about not being able to smoke in there. In fact the idea of having a fag didn't occur to me at all.

However, I'm still uncomfortable about the principle of a Government ban on smoking. I agree that there are health risks for passive smokers and I agree that it's an unhealthy habit. I also agree with anyone who says that pubs are better places for non-smokers now. But do we really need the sort of "sledgehammer to crack a nut" style of legislation we've got now? Legislation that takes away any personal responsibility for behaving in a halfway civilised manner, in my opinion. Only pubs can and should be encouraged to provide non-smoking areas. It's been well nigh impossible to smoke in restaurants for ages and employers have been banning smoking in workplaces for years. So achieving a balance that protects the non-smoker from the worst excesses of the devil weed is possible.

Smoking is bad for you. There are few smokers who will disagree. But there are many more pursuits that could also be deemed harmful and if we rush to embrace Government control over one activity then it's going to be very much harder when they start banning the next thing they think isn't good for us.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I agree with the type of workplaces which you refer to - 100%...

My sadness about this ban refers specifically to private establishments where people are invited in (ie pubs/clubs) and the landlord/owner has now been told he cannot allow something which I believe it should be his right to choose. You choose to work in a pub or club knowing that people smoke...people always have done!

People seem to think that pubs/clubs are their own domain and not that of the owner.

This strips the right of the STAFF in the pub/club to choose, which is the entire point of the ban. Its not banning smoking in pubs - its banning it in all workplaces; and a pub is a workplace. You support banning it in workplaces, ergo you support banning it in pubs/clubs; or you don't support banning it at all.

How is that logic so hard to understand?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Smoking is bad for you. There are few smokers who will disagree. But there are many more pursuits that could also be deemed harmful and if we rush to embrace Government control over one activity then it's going to be very much harder when they start banning the next thing they think isn't good for us.

Drinking causes far more harm than cigarettes. That will be next on the agenda. It is already being considered having health warnings on cans and bottles.

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
I went to a pub tonight, the first time since the ban came in.

As a smoker, i was made to leave my drink at the door, unattended and within easy access of anyone. (have had my drink spiked before so not happy to do this, even with a friend), i was outside alone and I had three guys walk past either giving me looks or comments - I felt very unsafe. This coupled with the fact that i had no idea what had happend to my drink (I got another as soon as i got back in the bar and left the previous one) made me feel very unsafe. But hey, as long as its only a few women a night, per pub being scared 0r raped, thats ok hey

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Not everyone seems to suffer from passive smoking. If you follow the theory of your actions harming others, then perhaps we should stop driving. I would imagine that there are far more people (directly) killed from accidents than there are from passive smoking.

I am a smoker, but I make every effort to smoke away from other people. I would never smoke in my seat at Withdean. That is very anti-social. I see the ideal in the smoking ban, but it is alienating people. Do smokers cost more to the NHS than they generate via tax? That is, essentially, what it should boil down to.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour

They tried that in Hong Kong and the pubs with a non smoking policy had the majority of people on the pavement, non smokers wanted to talk to their mates and it wasnt long before everyone was buying beers at 7eleven to drink outside the non smoking pub!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here