Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Allow smoking in the seats

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm with you Yorkie

( and I quoted the wrong quote, sorry :( )

But the people affected are suffering in silence, and not in a position to complain. I'd feel a prat doing so.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I've been at games before where some big burly bastard lights up a fag every ten minutes or so and blows every puff in any direction he likes with no consideration for others. I'll sit there an actually hold my breath for 10-15 seconds everytime this guy exhales because I find it so disgusting. I can't help it I just find it repulsive. And I get to pay £22 for the privilege.
Like I said previously, I have no objection to people smoking but its not really fair to impose your habit on others. If you absolutely must then at least have some consideration for where your smoke is going (which I'm sure you all do :lolol: )

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
I have never smoked in my life, so obviously I would like it banned from Withdean. Having said that though I can understand the needs of those who do smoke. I think that if I did smoke I would think of the effect on others. It would be good if the smokers could confine it to before, after or during half time of a game. As has been said before you cannot control the direction of the smoke, so any attempt by a smoker to smoke within a crowd of people and not affect anyone would always fail.
Thing is, if these people cannot go 45 minutes without a fag, how do they cope when they go on holiday and have to spend several hours on a plane when they are all non smoking these days.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I had mouth cancer in 1995 (3 operations) and drank a bottle of REMY MARTIN VSOP and smoked 25 Bolivar No 1s (the same as Winston Churchill and Jimmy Saville smoked)and had done for over 30 years and was told that the form of cancer I had was directly attributed to neat spirits and smoking. I was told to pack up and when I asked the doctor what if I didnt his reply was dont book a holiday for next year as you will lose the deposit.

I am now a holier than thou non smoker and believe that smoking should be banned in ALL public places. If you want to do it in the confines of your home fine but not where other people have to go i.e pubs, restaurants, in the streets shops football matches etc.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I wonder why doctors say such things. Not taking anything away from the trauma you must have suffered with the ops and treatment but my friend died last November from mouth cancer.

She only drank occasional wine and never smoked but yet she died aged 60.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I don't object to smoking in the rest of the stadium in the slightest - it doesn't affect other people there, but when you are in your seat and somene's smoke is blowing straight into your face for a game, it's completely out of order. It's bad enough for those who don't like it, worse for asthmatics

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yorkie said:
I wonder why doctors say such things. Not taking anything away from the trauma you must have suffered with the ops and treatment but my friend died last November from mouth cancer.

Cheers I was 60 last birthday!!

None the less I appreciate what you are saying that nothing is 100% sure but what I can tell you is that if the surgeon says that it makes giving up smoking very easy.

I feel that the general public should have the option of whther they smoke either directly or passive but people smoking around them takes away this option.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Yorkie said:

Shock tactics maybe.

But getting back to the debate. It seems to me that there are a lot of people out there (and I'm not saying everyone is like this) that just don't care who they upset with their smoking. This then creates an equal reaction from the non-smokers who then want total bans to make their lives more comfortable. If people were more considerate about the affect their actions have on others the whole thing would be much less of an issue. If they did ban it would it really be so bad that you had to wait 45 mins for the next fag?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
It's all well and good to talk about letting people fight their own batttles, but what happens when you ask someone to stop and they tell you to f*** off? Do some people believe it's all right to casue others to suffer just because they can?

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
Rangdo said:
Shock tactics maybe.

But getting back to the debate. It seems to me that there are a lot of people out there (and I'm not saying everyone is like this) that just don't care who they upset with their smoking. This then creates an equal reaction from the non-smokers who then want total bans to make their lives more comfortable. If people were more considerate about the affect their actions have on others the whole thing would be much less of an issue. If they did ban it would it really be so bad that you had to wait 45 mins for the next fag?
Agree with all of that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just out of interest, I guess its the norm to allow smoking in football grounds and Reading is the exception ?

What about the Premiership ?

What are the current guidelines ? Will Falmer be non-smoking ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some of the older grounds with wooden stands eg Cheaterfield have a no smoking policy but then you always find somebody who will say what the f..k has it to do with them if I smoke so I will.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Obviously grounds with wooden stands are going to have to enforce the smoking ban as that is how the Bradford fire got such a hold although it started with a cigarette end catching uncleared rubbish alight.

I find it strange that people are so anti smoking (almost as though it is now fashionable to be anti) but that is because I grew up where everybody smoked.
As a child I lived in a household where 4 adults smoked all the time. Is it any wonder that I started at the age of 16.
Everybody accepted it, it was common at work and on the buses.

I know that doctors have gone on about passive smoking etc for quite a while now but have the incidencies of cancer really fallen dramatically since smoking was banned on public travel and at work?

You could smoke at Burnley last season and that had wooden seats.

The only grounds I can remember there being no smoking in the stands are Reading and Plymouth (since they've done it up). Bit strange, seeing as both places were made purely from metal, concrete and plastic.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think public opinion has swung the other way. I don't feel that I am at any higher risk of cancer through passive smoking. Christ, the air quality is so bad round where I work - I'm sure that will get me first.

It is only just recently that smoking was banned in my workplace -funny thing is that that there are noticably less smokers OUTSIDE now. Do most smokers want to give up? - I can't answer that.

However they isn't really much debate about the effects of first hand smoke. If non smokers want to stay away as far as possible from smoke as possible, I totally understand.

Could never see a smoking ban in public places happening here, but I guess they said that about Ireland.

I personally think its a bit Nanny state...

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Yorkie said:

I know that doctors have gone on about passive smoking etc for quite a while now but have the incidencies of cancer really fallen dramatically since smoking was banned on public travel and at work?

I don't dislike smoking for health reasons. It's because I find it uncomfortable and disgusting to inhale cigarette smoke.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Wasn't it Roy Castle whose lung cancer was attributed to passive smoking?

He was apparently given 6 months to live, but he died in 4,
'Cos he's a record breaker!!!

(Yes bad taste I know!) :eek:

kevinsmith

Jan 25, 2004
Portslade
I would like to see a total ban in public places. This would help me to cut down and possibly stop smoking.

I am sure any smoker can last till half-time and full time. This would make the "entertainment" on the pitch more enjoyable.

If allowed, I would smoke at football, but am more than happy to wait till half-time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here