Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slightly different McGhee poll

How would you rate McGhee's managerial ability?

• Very good

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Good

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • Adequate

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • Poor

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • Shite

Votes: 23 23.5%

• Total voters

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Gradi has done much more for Crewe than McGhee has for Brighton.

Besides, they operate on a smaller budget and still finished above us.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Silent Bob said:
Gradi has done much more for Crewe than McGhee has for Brighton.

Besides, they operate on a smaller budget and still finished above us.

Smaller budget? Are you sure? I know we have identical average attendances and they presumably own their own stadium.

I thought it was pretty similar. Gradi has done a lot for Crewe as he has been given time to show his worth. The chairman hasn't sacked him the first poor season he has had.

One advantage Gradi has is that the academy has been up and running alot longer than Brighton's.

D

Deleted member 2719

The Large One said:
Anyone who voted 'shite' clearly has a very inscure personality, a low pain threshold, and short memory and doesn't know what they're talking about.

Why do I say this? Work it out for yourself.

Have you ever kissed MM LO ?

Was it good for you or did his stubble give you a nasty rash!!

LO:love: MM

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
brightonfan_86 said:
He did well in the first two seasons, but last season was a total disaster and should off be sacked.

So because a manager has one bad season hes shite? :dunce:

I think the first two season were very good and then poor last season averages out as good.

D

Deleted member 2719

DAMANCLAY said:
So because a manager has one bad season hes shite? :dunce:

I think the first two season were very good and then poor last season averages out as good.

You are only as good as your last season as they say!!

Silent Bob said:
Besides, they operate on a smaller budget

Source for that?

Last edited:

Commander said:
LI, do you honestly think MM is a brilliant Manager? Not having a go, just interested.

Own up to being slightly tongue in cheek, everyone else exaggerates in McGhee threads, why can't I? ;)

But of course I do think he is a very good manager, so thank you for providing that option in the poll for me to vote for.

I think he is as a little bit better than Adams and Taylor and not that far behind the excellent Coppell, although I think McGhee has achieved more for this club than Coppell achieved.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
London Irish said:
Own up to being slightly tongue in cheek, everyone else exaggerates in McGhee threads, why can't I? ;)

But of course I do think he is a very good manager, so thank you for providing that option in the poll for me to vote for.

I think he is as a little bit better than Adams and Taylor and not that far behind the excellent Coppell, although I think McGhee has achieved more for this club than Coppell achieved.

Fair enough. Personally think both Coppell and Taylor were better than McGhee. Adams was good but mainly through his connections. He was a good motivator but always thought he was a bit naive tactically sometimes. McGhee has done pretty well considering the situation and has shown loyalty, but I don't think he is in any way a brilliant manager.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Silent Bob said:
The amount we spend on players in comparison to them? The fact that this season they paid an agent's fee for the first time in their history to the tune of £5,000 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/crewe_alexandra/4690542.stm)

The fact that they're Crewe.... with the size of the place they're doing well to have a club that's in the league.

So pretty sparse facts then.

The amount spent on players - you would have to know their wages budget compared to ours, that is always the major cost, and I don't think you do.

Our crowds are roughly similar but because they own their ground, they get to keep a far higher proportion of gate receipts. They have also received more in transfer receipts than us.

They owe their position in the main to a long-standing successful youth programme, ours is in its relative infancy compared to theirs.

All of the above are the relevant factors when comparing McGhee and Gradi's respective records, if you desire to be fair, you would consider them.

But I would say though it's a pretty redundant exercise, as both us and Crewe were clearly the beggars of the Championship and hence it's no surprise we are now both in League 1, whether one of us had half a farthing more than the other misses the point a bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here