• T Rex - solid gold easy action

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • Fence - can't decide

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Now this is a genuine tough one - loved them both at the time. Slade for their powerhouse rough n ready rock/pop anthems and wonky spelling, T Rex for their space age glitz and hippy folk turned sub-metal glam singalongs.

If pushed, I'd probably go for T Rex for the breadth of Bolan's songwriting, but I bet they were both awesome live. As for tribute acts, my daughter reckons TRextasy are pretty good ...

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Now this is a genuine tough one - loved them both at the time. Slade for their powerhouse rough n ready rock/pop anthems and wonky spelling, T Rex for their space age glitz and hippy folk turned sub-metal glam singalongs.

If pushed, I'd probably go for T Rex for the breadth of Bolan's songwriting, but I bet they were both awesome live. As for tribute acts, my daughter reckons TRextasy are pretty good ...

I saw Slade at Christmas at Olympos in Burgess Hill. They were on with T Rextasy and Mud. Unfortunately Noddy Holder is no longer with the band but they still sound very good.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
slade

first band I ever saw in concert ( bristol 1973 with loads of skinheads!!!)

Still have loads of their stuff on the ipod. "How does it feel" is one of my top 10 songs

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
slade

Still have loads of their stuff on the ipod. "How does it feel" is one of my top 10 songs

Top man, DTG, prob Slade's best song. And Flame is not a bad movie as far as ones cashing in on pop success go.

Both excellent, but Slade have the edge for me on the sheer power of their live performances.

Tyrannosaurus Rex for me; first saw them at the Big Apple Club in Brighton around 1970 just after Steve Currie had joined the duo. The warm up band was an acoustic quartet called Status Quo!

I was there that night so it's T-Rex for me too. Slade didn't do anything for me despite all of their hits.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Slade WERE my youth! Slayed Alive was the first album I ever bought, and all the singles were such fun. Listened to "Slade in Flame" and "Old New Borrowed and Blue" in the car last week, and I was in heaven!

Having said that, T Rex.. wot marvellous times when you heard each new single on the radio.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Slade, No1 in the charts with Cum on feel the noize the day i was born. Still have the 7" single my parents bought that weekend

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
yep, i'm another Slade fan, not heared nearly enough these days.

Couldn't stand Bolan though, tart!.

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
Slade - because I don't remember T Rex playing at the Goldstone!!

:afro:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Slade for me. First Album I bought was Sladest. Didn't see them in concert until 1981 at Castle Donnington Monsters of Rock. It was a comeback gig and they were fantastic. They may also stand out more because they were followed on stage by Blue Oyster Cult who were so bad I sat down and fell asleep. (woke up though for Whitesnake and AC/DC)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Slade for me. First Album I bought was Sladest. Didn't see them in concert until 1981 at Castle Donnington Monsters of Rock. It was a comeback gig and they were fantastic. They may also stand out more because they were followed on stage by Blue Oyster Cult who were so bad I sat down and fell asleep. (woke up though for Whitesnake and AC/DC)

Strange coincidences there.

Sladest my first album.

Monsters of Rock the first (and only) time I saw Slade live (loved the bog-roll arrival on stage!). Agree they were brilliant. To be fair to BOC that day, the drummer walked out just before the gig and they had a roadie doing the rhythm. In the circumstances, I thought they did ok. Also thought Whitesnake blew AC/DC away that day, but I've never rated AC/DC, to be honest.

But it's still my first ever pop hero Marc Bolan and T Rex that get my vote. Absolutely timeless music and every song a classic. It was a very close call, though.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Purely because of Slade in flame (cracking film and it almost destroyed their career + the final shots of the film are at the Grand Hotel Brighton) and Bolan Boogie (really, really naff film made Spice World look slick!) and for the foot stoming support of those who cannot splel everywhere!

Slade for me, but its a close run thing....... Now Slade Vs the Sweet might be a different matter!

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
slade

Me too. Saw them at Top Rank, Brighton. Suported by Suzi Quattro and Thin Lizzy :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
T Rex edge it for me - they ARE the sound of the 70s, Bolan such an inspirational musician AND he died young, of course...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here