Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slabs outside the ground

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What struck me as strange today was that they are upside down as you stand at the main entrance. The only way to see all of them the correct way up is to stand at the top of the concrete cliff, from which point the lettering will be invisible. The ones furthest from the entrance can only be seen right way up by standing on the ones to either side. So relocation on the walls would indeed be preferable.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If you read my later post you will see my retraction of that comment.

But I still stand by my criticism of the position and quality of the stones.

Mine's a Kroney by the way.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Because of all the moans and groans on here i felt the need to go up to the ground today, couldn't wait until the 6th. Was dreading it tbh as the stone was laid in memory of a friend and if it was shite then it could tarnish the whole stadium and every match for me.
So I'd like to reassure people that, although not fantastic, i was hugely relieved to see they're fine and certainly not as bad as some are making out.
Positives:
They looked smarter than expected (helped by the rain?).
They're laid better than they appear in some photos (they're never going to be perfectly level and symmetric, it's a road).
She's lucky, her stone is in a great location near the badge.
I like the blue lettering, yes it's slower/harder to read at first but i looked at the black lettered ones by the South Stand and felt black is bland and the blue is vibrant and more cheerful and Albion.
We're West Stand ticketholders so i was pleased to find the stones are near our entrance.

Negatives:
They should have been laid in the other direction (180 degrees) so that they're read when coming out of the stadium.
Would it have been better to have them outside the club shop on the pedestrian area, away from road traffic? (but more likely to be covered in gum?) or better on a wall and so subject to significantly less wear and tear? Hard to say.

The ground looks fantastic from the outside, can't understand any moans about it! Can't
wait and will never take it for granted.

Last edited:

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton
I have a letter from Ken Brown stating that the A&K stones would be in a special marked area on a wall by the main entrance, now i hear that they are all lumped in together with the others, i am NOT impressed at all, I also gave a very large sum of money in 2004 :-(

We were excited about our names on the seat and the A&K money seemed a good investment at the time....like my pension the benefit of that A&K money seems to dwindle with time! oh well that's life!

Also the stones were advertised in the last year as 'heritage stones' not memorial stones, in fact the adverts depicted examples of wording that definately was not memorial script so those who purchased these can not be blamed for that....taste is another matter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here