Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sky sports: Villa interested in Biss

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Best case scenario.

Villa bid. We turn it down, but the big boys come in (hopefully at the last minute) and someone like Utd, or even PSG win a bidding war. We wave Yves a sad farewell, but the club have made a stupendous profit

Caicedo (and next season the Polish lad) comes in and absolutely smashes it.

Villa fans are very upset

I’m hoping this happens:

Bissouma signs a new contract, no doubt with a large pay increase, with a clause that he can move to an actively CL club if they come in for him from summer 2023 onwards.

The benefits to us - we definitely retain his services for another 1.5 seasons and we get fullmarket value for him when we sell.

Before his legal issue and dip in form, imho he was a £60m player, if on a long contract.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I’m hoping this happens:

Bissouma signs a new contract, no doubt with a large pay increase, with a clause that he can move to an actively CL club if they come in for him from summer 2023 onwards.

The benefits to us - we definitely retain his services for another 1.5 seasons and we get fullmarket value for him when we sell.

Before his legal issue and dip in form, imho he was a £60m player, if on a long contract.

Yes - but surely that's not in Biss's interests? If the buying club has to pay quite a bit more, then there will be less for Biss himself. There may be a way to structure things so that WE give Biss part of the sale fee (eg: a golden goodbye) in your scenario, but I think the most likely outcome is that he doesn't sign anything, and leaves this summer for a "Big 6" English club (or even potentially a PSG or RM).

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
How are Villa within FFP? £100m for Grealish doesn’t come close to some of the fees they’ve chucked around and wages they’re paying.
I’ll be gutted if Biss went to that shower of shite, I’d question his ambition too. It will make White to Arsenal look sensible.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes - but surely that's not in Biss's interests? If the buying club has to pay quite a bit more, then there will be less for Biss himself. There may be a way to structure things so that WE give Biss part of the sale fee (eg: a golden goodbye) in your scenario, but I think the most likely outcome is that he doesn't sign anything, and leaves this summer for a "Big 6" English club (or even potentially a PSG or RM).

Players have done that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But as NAN pointed out, there is nothing in what Sam Wallace wrote that couldn’t have been rehashed from the original Sky claim. And no evidence of any particular inside knowledge.

No one ever said there was. Point me to where they/I did say that?

But he writes based on sauces, Sky and the tabloids will say anything to get clicks, often baseless AKA lying.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
No one ever said there was. Point me to where they/I did say that?

But he writes based on sauces, Sky and the tabloids will say anything to get clicks, often baseless AKA lying.

You having a refreshingly uncynical view of the sports journalism trade.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
If Villa come in for Biss, the bigger clubs will pick their pockets. I think something has already been organised. Probably with United or Liverpool. That’s his level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If Villa come in for Biss, the bigger clubs will pick their pockets. I think something has already been organised. Probably with United or Liverpool. That’s his level.

It will probably be just like the White transfer. Leeds with their massive egos sounded our club out about him and then bid as much as they possibly could before a Big Six came in and then swooped him up.

Villa are playing the same role now, they’ll get little response from us unless they want to go over £50m, even then, I’d assume that Biss would only leave for Champions League football and one of the top 6 clubs in the world will coke and swoop him up for another kings ransom for Tony.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manchester United is NOT his level. He’s far above that and Villa. The bloke should stay with Brighton; safe port in a storm.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It will probably be just like the White transfer. Leeds with their massive egos sounded our club out about him and then bid as much as they possibly could before a Big Six came in and then swooped him up.

Villa are playing the same role now, they’ll get little response from us unless they want to go over £50m, even then, I’d assume that Biss would only leave for Champions League football and one of the top 6 clubs in the world will coke and swoop him up for another kings ransom for Tony.

I don’t think drugs will come into it, this is not a South American deal

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Manchester United is NOT his level. He’s far above that and Villa. The bloke should stay with Brighton; safe port in a storm.

Villa may not do any better than us, oh hang on they have deep pockets and the new Messiah as a manager, bin that thought they will be miles ahead of us by season’s end

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
How are Villa within FFP? £100m for Grealish doesn’t come close to some of the fees they’ve chucked around and wages they’re paying.
I’ll be gutted if Biss went to that shower of shite, I’d question his ambition too. It will make White to Arsenal look sensible.

They are apparently on course to fail FFP by an average of £69m overspend over the last three years each season (Only PSG spent more over the same period).

The reason Villa won't worry about FFP is they have very deep pockets and will no doubt pay any fine levied for their overspend, and also as Man City have proved, with expensive lawyers, they may be able to circumvent the rules anyway. FFP is of little or no relevance in todays game, as Bournemouth proved with their fine a few years ago. The American owners just paid the fine and they got to the Prem - probably worth it in their eyes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

100% this. Villa will get played by Tony, then a proper club will outbid them once they know he’s for sale. Might be this window, if not it will be in the summer. There is no logic in Biss signing a new contract from his perspective if he’s ambitious to move up a level.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You having a refreshingly uncynical view of the sports journalism trade.

Only based on experience of following football transfer gossip over the (too) many years.

I used to lap up all ‘news’ as having some basis.

Belatedly realising that the tabloids John Cross, Matt Lawton and Martin Samuel were liars and avenues for agents squeezing a player pay rise. A minute percentage of their rumours have any basis, a microscopic proportion happen.

In my experience when writers for the broadsheets, also the BBC, publish a transfer rumour or news, invariably there’s something in it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They are apparently on course to fail FFP by an average of £69m overspend over the last three years each season (Only PSG spent more over the same period).

The reason Villa won't worry about FFP is they have very deep pockets and will no doubt pay any fine levied for their overspend, and also as Man City have proved, with expensive lawyers, they may be able to circumvent the rules anyway. FFP is of little or no relevance in todays game, as Bournemouth proved with their fine a few years ago. The American owners just paid the fine and they got to the Prem - probably worth it in their eyes.

Maybe, before covid the PL was discussing point deductions for FFP though similar to how it works in the EFL (iirc the reason Bournemouth didnt get a point deduction was because they had already reached the PL when their FFP verdict came) and that would perhaps change the attitude of the clubs. More likely the system needs to be scrapped and something similar to what La Liga has created should be way forward.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Maybe, before covid the PL was discussing point deductions for FFP though similar to how it works in the EFL (iirc the reason Bournemouth didnt get a point deduction was because they had already reached the PL when their FFP verdict came) and that would perhaps change the attitude of the clubs. More likely the system needs to be scrapped and something similar to what La Liga has created should be way forward.

Were they discussing point deductions for overspend in the PL itself, or point deductions for having overspent in the Championship to get promoted?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Only based on experience of following football transfer gossip over the (too) many years.

I used to lap up all ‘news’ as having some basis.

Belatedly realising that the tabloids John Cross, Matt Lawton and Martin Samuel were liars and avenues for agents squeezing a player pay rise. A minute percentage of their rumours have any basis, a microscopic proportion happen.

In my experience when writers for the broadsheets, also the BBC, publish a transfer rumour or news, invariably there’s something in it.

That will be the same Martin Samuel who was previously a columnist for The Times and the same Matt Lawton who is at present the Times' chief sports correspondent, will it? They are the same people no matter who they work for. And so is the former deputy football correspondent of The Times who made up that story for the Mail about Bissouma demanding a transfer.

Equally I remember John Cross being widely ridiculed for suggesting that Southampton would sack Nigel Adkins and replace him with an unknown Argentinian named Mauricio Pochettino. Yes, that's just one example, but I don't recall any broadsheet having even a sniff of it.

'Invariably' is a strong word. When it comes to Albion-related rumours, I'd apply it to Brian Owen and Andy Naylor and pretty well nobody else. They are old-school journalists who know how to use a telephone.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That will be the same Martin Samuel who was previously a columnist for The Times and the same Matt Lawton who is at present the Times' chief sports correspondent, will it? They are the same people no matter who they work for. And so is the former deputy football correspondent of The Times who made up that story for the Mail about Bissouma demanding a transfer.

Equally I remember John Cross being widely ridiculed for suggesting that Southampton would sack Nigel Adkins and replace him with an unknown Argentinian named Mauricio Pochettino. Yes, that's just one example, but I don't recall any broadsheet having even a sniff of it.

'Invariably' is a strong word. When it comes to Albion-related rumours, I'd apply it to Brian Owen and Andy Naylor and pretty well nobody else. They are old-school journalists who know how to use a telephone.

When they work for a tabloid, column inches of bullsh@t are required, clickbait they call it these days.

The tabloids and Sky churn out countless thousand of transfer news/rumours each January and summer. The overwhelming majority end up having no merit.

You'll disagree, but imho there's absolutely no point in reading what they have to say about alleged transfers.

Why read 1,000's of faux news stories, when with a lucky dip, only a tiny handful come to fruition? I call that 'noise', life's too short, so I avoid.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
When they work for a tabloid, column inches of bullsh@t are required, clickbait they call it these days.

The tabloids and Sky churn out countless thousand of transfer news/rumours each January and summer. The overwhelming majority end up having no merit.

You'll disagree, but imho there's absolutely no point in reading what they have to say about alleged transfers.

Why read 1,000's of faux news stories, when with a lucky dip, only a tiny handful come to fruition? I call that 'noise', life's too short, so I avoid.

So we largely agree. Owen and Naylor for me and pretty well nobody else.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here