Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky News - an embarrassment

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Settled down this evening to catch up with what's going on in the world after a busy few days for me recently only to find that Sky News are still reporting live from California on Michael Jackson.

For the 10 minutes I watched, this was their only story. They've even sent out Kate Burley - like Kate Adie only for grief-stricken events.

Switched over to the Austrian 10 o'clock news and found out that 18 people had been killed in Italy when a goods train exploded and that over 150 people are missing presumed dead after a plane crash in the Indian Ocean.

Are these stories really so irrelevant to Sky News and its viewers that they don't deserve to be mentioned?

I was saddened by Jackson's death but the analysis five days later is totally out of proportion IMHO.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Talking of that Italian train crash, I visited Viareggio a fair few times when on holiday in Italy many years ago, it was quite a nice if unassuming place. Sad to see it today in the news in that way.

Andrew

May 15, 2008
Sussex
Sad news about Italy :(

Heres a interesting story about Michael Jackson:

Michael may not have died of a heart attack, he walked down stairs and had a stroke in the children's ward.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Sad news about Italy :(

Heres a interesting story about Michael Jackson:

Michael may not have died of a heart attack, he walked down stairs and had a stroke in the children's ward.

Oh dear...:rolleyes::nono:

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Regarding the plane crash, the news here said that there's only one survivor - a teenage girl who spent hours in the sea clinging to wreckage.

Surely that's enough "human interest" for Sky to divert their attention away from Michael Jackson for a while.

Last edited:

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
Settled down this evening to catch up with what's going on in the world after a busy few days for me recently only to find that Sky News are still reporting live from California on Michael Jackson.

For the 10 minutes I watched, this was their only story. They've even sent out Kate Burley - like Kate Adie only for grief-stricken events.

Switched over to the Austrian 10 o'clock news and found out that 18 people had been killed in Italy when a goods train exploded and that over 150 people are missing presumed dead after a plane crash in the Indian Ocean.

Are these stories really so irrelevant to Sky News and its viewers that they don't deserve to be mentioned?

I was saddened by Jackson's death but the analysis five days later is totally out of proportion IMHO.
what , you mean jacko is dead , oh my god , when did it happen , that is dreadfull dreadfull news

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

It's not even "analysis", though, just speculation and repetitive bollox.

Same as most "news" today.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Do you see what you did wrong?

Fair point they are pretty shite but over here it's the only English language TV channel we get apart from CNN and BBC World (which is like watching paint dry).

Oh, and MTV which seems to have forgotten what the M in its name stands for...

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
It's not even "analysis", though, just speculation and repetitive bollox.

Same as most "news" today.

Very good!

Kay Burley - "Stay with us because after the break we've got more speculation and repetitive bollox on the death of Michael Jackson".

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The only problem is that, compared to the BBC, Sky is a bit like tabloid television...I am guessing that the Sun will be carrying stories about Jacko on most of the first half dozen pages or so for some time to come, you may have a bit of a wait before their TV equivalent lead with a decent news story...there were plenty of them about today!

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Yes I feel sorry that Jackson died, but like you say there are other more important news items to be covering. What I can stand is seeing people cry for someone they never knew, a bit like Diana that seemed to go on for weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks.....

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Regarding the plane crash, the news here said that there's only one survivor - a teenage girl who spent hours in the sea clinging to wreckage.

Surely that's enough "human interest" for Sky to divert their attention away from Michael Jackson for a while.

What nationality is she and does she speak English? Unless she's from UK/US Sky aren't interested.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Absolutely - I think they have got this one very wrong. I usually watch Sky News a lot, and as I'm at home most of the time at the mo, it is generally on all the time in the house. But they just won't stop with this jacko stuff. Ok, it was news for one day, two at a stretch but it's nearly a week now. On Monday I wanted to find out what happened in the Maddoff sentencing and it took all afternoon for them to mention it. Completely ridiculous in my view, and what a waste of money to send Ms Burrley to La LA Land)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here